Just got rear ended

TJ_Man99

So about an hour ago, some a-hole decided he wanted to see what the passenger seat looked like in the jeep. He crushed my tire carrier and bent the crap out of my tailgate. my question to the fine men of this forum, is what should I do? Should I let a garage try and fix it? Or should I try and fix it myself. I have full confidence in myself that I could fix it, but I just don't want to fun into any complications while doing so. What are yall's thoughts?

The reason I now drive with dash-cams... front and rear cameras.

I think photos are in order to give a better plan of attack...

You'll need careful measurements of the frame, and the tub, the bending in of the tailgate could pull in the sides, to where a new gate won't fit. Before I got the JT is was debating getting a wrecked JK-U or JL-U, and each one of about 6 that I looked at with rear gate damage, the tub sides were pulled in and kinked above the rear wheel wells.

Reactions: Chris
If it's hit and run and you didn't get his license plate, I would still report it to your insurance if you have 'uninsured motorist' coverage.

The downside, is it will scar the vehicle in Car-Fax, so deduct 20% from any future value. (just went through this with my 2017 Canyon... 2 fender benders, neither my fault, 1 of those the truck was parked in a space at work, and a car rolled into the fender). Back in March, I had a hit and run in the TJ, all it did was push on the drivers fender flare, creating a 1/4 inch pucker on the fender, and destroyed the plastic bumper end... made a mess of their quarter panel... I fixed the fender while talking to the officer taking the report... this one wasn't worth reporting to Ins.

I would evaluate the damage (need to be like today/tomorrow) and determine what it's going to take to repair.

We were coming home from dinner one night about 11. I came around a sweeping turn going like 57 in a 55 (in the S2K) and I saw what I thought was a busted up hay bail in the road (we live in the country/ mountains), I went to dodge the larger pieces and hit a few "smaller" ones, I heard one hit the passenger side floor and immediately asked my wife if she was okay. Well it wasn't straw, they were concrete pavers that had fallen off a truck! I called the sheriff's dept when I got to the top of the mountain, and I also noticed my (week old) front tire was ripped...

Even though I only had liability on the car, I figured it wouldn't hurt to call and see if it was covered as a "no fault", the factory wheel was $1800, oh yeah, it also tore the wheel right in the middle, forgot to mention.
It wasn't covered but I got dinged for three years! Fucking insurance companies!
Same thing happened to my wife on a snow covered road, she slid off going 10-15mph, no coverage but a three year ding.
When my kid put his TJ into the side of the mountain, I was like "We're not even gonna make the phone call."
Fucking insurance companies! (Did I say that already?)

I was driving my ‘06 Commander to my Doctor in Santa Cruz last week when a Caddy in front of me swerved. Why did he swerve to miss the cooler that I plowed into. Pulled the shoulder and had to back up pull forward several times before I could free the damn thing out from under the Commander. No damage but scared the shit out of me.

I was driving my ‘06 Commander to my Doctor in Santa Cruz last week when a Caddy in front of me swerved. Why did he swerve to miss the cooler that I plowed into. Pulled the shoulder and had to back up pull forward several times before I could free the damn thing out from under the Commander. No damage but scared the shit out of me.
Where abouts did this happen? I'm from the area...

Highway 1 just North of Del Monte Ave in Marina. Where did you live out here?
Several places, but the last one was out on Dolan Rd with a Moss Landing address. Drove to Monterey and Santa Cruz both for dance classes several times a week. Grew up in the area.

Very cool! I live in anew development that used to be part of Fort Ord. Located off of Reservation road about halfway between Marina and Salinas.

Yep, I remember that going in just before I left in '17 - I was just "thrilled" with the additional stoplights on Reservation road. That's Salinas's solution to ALL traffic problems, add yet another damn stoplight. Drove Reservation a lot back when I lived in Salinas, and worked in Monterey - I sure as hell wasn't going to take highway 68, HATE THAT ROAD!

Generally, if you can't get a lot out of an insurance company...get nothing. They will raise your rates or cancel you and cause you to be rated and get you back.

Insurance is made to have , not use.

Try to never file claims unless it's very meaningful.

On the TJ , be prepared to replace the fuel pump soon. Not a guarantee it will fail, but sometimes impacts trigger that. Particularly the next complete fill up.

68 is pretty when there is no traffic.
When's that? The local idiots blew it - TWICE. They had an opportunity to create a Monterey-Salinas expressway, but chose instead to clog 68 up with traffic lights. Then they had another chance with Reservation road, and clogged it up with traffic lights as well. Of course, Marina has been a speed trap for as long as I've been alive.

I made a lot of "brownie points" back in about 1981 when I was working on Garden Rd in Monterey, and living in Salinas. There was a petition to put in one of the first, or maybe even the VERY first, highway 68 stoplights at 68 and Olmstead. I wasn't popular with my co-workers because I told them how it would just clog things up - and it did. The main problem with the 68 corridor has always been idiots that don't know how to drive - so I just avoided it. My co-workers on the one end, and my wife on the other could usually tell when I'd driven that road by my elevated irritation level. One that really stands out in my memory was an idiot going 25 on the eastbound downhill before the Canyon Del Rey intersection - but that was pretty typical of that road every damn day! So I'd take Davis to Reservation (when Davis wasn't flooded), and book down Reservation until I hit the Marina city limits. Even going through Marina wasn't particularly bad - even with all of their stoplights - they were pretty reasonable as such things go. Not so sure about the roundabouts they put in a few years back though, and they really screwed the pooch when K-Mart cum Wal*Mart went in.