Just had Vanco Big Brake installed

04RubiOR

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
As title states, just had big brake kit installed. I have done the break in process (I hope correctly). One question though. When I first got in the Jeep and started driving, the brake peddle felt softer then when I had the OEM brakes on. Is this some what normal? I know that the braking performance gets better over time. Does that include the feel of the brake peddle as well? Thanks.

You likely got the right/left calipers reversed. That causes the bleed valve to be positioned below the brake line which will make it impossible to properly bleed the brakes.

Go check... Is the bleeder valve above or below where the brake line attaches to the caliper.

Looks like they installed the calipers in the correct orientation. The bleeder valve is above the break line. It’s in the passenger side wheel. I dunno, I’ll drive it again later. Maybe just a bad job at bleeding the brakes?

You likely got the right/left calipers reversed. That causes the bleed valve to be positioned below the brake line which will make it impossible to properly bleed the brakes.

Go check... Is the bleeder valve above or below where the brake line attaches to the caliper.
D06CB9DE-0FF2-4F59-923C-54B237E5BC44.jpeg

With the car turned off the pedal gets firmer after a couple pumps. Is that what you were asking?

That's normal as you deplete the vacuum in the booster.

Try starting the engine and push the pedal and note where it's firm/stops, release and push again and see if it firms up higher then again. If the pedal feel gets better than you most likely still have air in system.

It also can take many miles of break in to "cure" the pads and can make a difference in feel, but if it's a noticeable/alarming drop from what you had its probably air.

Reactions: 04RubiOR
That's normal as you deplete the vacuum in the booster.

Try starting the engine and push the pedal and note where it's firm/stops, release and push again and see if it firms up higher then again. If the pedal feel gets better than you most likely still have air in system.

It also can take many miles of break in to "cure" the pads and can make a difference in feel, but if it's a noticeable/alarming drop from what you had its probably air.

No it stays the same with the engine running. Never firms up. When pushing, it sounds like the noise a foot pump would make while pressing down, or something is being deflated.

No it stays the same with the engine running. Never firms up. When pushing, it sounds like the noise a foot pump would make while pressing down, or something is being deflated.

Have them bleed it again. If it had air the pedal would pump up as you compressed the trapped air by pumping the pedal. You should be good to go after that.

Reactions: 04RubiOR
Have them bleed it again. If it had air the pedal would pump up as you compressed the trapped air by pumping the pedal. You should be good to go after that.

Sorry, my last reply may have been confusing or misleading by how I worded it. I meant to say that when I push on the pedal, it does not firm up, at all. Stays soft. This is with the engine running.

Maybe I misread your response. Thinking just having system bled will take care of it?

I bled brakes again and I still have a some what soft peddle. There’s good stopping power, but that’s pushing hard on the brake pedal. Should I be able to lock the brakes up with 35’s?

If bleeding doesn't improve your stopping I suggest calling Black Magic Brakes. They stand behind their products and I'm sure will have your Jeep's brakes running good in no time!

I bled brakes again and I still have a some what soft peddle. There’s good stopping power, but that’s pushing hard on the brake pedal. Should I be able to lock the brakes up with 35’s?
Yes it should be able to lock up the brakes. Is the vacuum hose between the power brake booster and intake manifold connected and leak free?

Yes it should be able to lock up the brakes. Is the vacuum hose between the power brake booster and intake manifold connected and leak free?
Hmmm.....that’s a possibility on the brake booster. I’m pretty sure I have a vacuum leak. Well I know I had one, but I fixed that. Vacuum line going to vacuum reservoir had big crack. Replaced vacuum harness, but in the morning I can still hear a high pitched tea kettle noise when I let my foot off the gas. Goes away in about 2 minutes of driving. I wonder if this could be the vacuum line going to the brake booster.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Or the brake booster itself. I had a pinhole leak in my booster before. Had to replace the booster. Same high pitch whistle when I released the brake pedal.