Keeping a TJ on the road for 20 years

• Thread starter NICHOLAS MATHER
  • Start date
N

NICHOLAS MATHER

So i love my rubi, but I'm haunted by the possibility that between age and northeastern winters....ill be struggling with rot and not being able to keep her road worthy in the coming years/decades.

So I'm looking for ideas and how to keep her pristine and well maintained.

I keep her maintained with fluid changes, cleanings, greasings etc. I delifted it and returned it to shock...and I'm only using the recommended fluids and parts that are suggested on here. Shes garaged parked.

I've coated her thoroughly in fluid film. Tomorrow I'm drilling a drain hole or two towards the rear of the frame right before the rear tires.

I installed some frame hole plugs I got off Amazon.

Anything anyone else can think of with an eye toward future years and keeping her rust free? Rust is a big thing for me, it eats up EVERYTHING up here.

Ive also considered stocking up on harder to find parts now, anyone have any suggestions?

clean the underbody and treat the frame with a corrosion preventative...oh and buy a spare PCM now, while you still can...that is yearly on the frame and underbody after every snow fall

Don't install those frame hole plugs, get rid of them. IMHO, those do more harm than good, as they simply trap stuff inside the frame.

I think everything you're doing is on the right track. You just need to very liberally coat the underside, and very often as well... especially if you drive it when they salt the roads.

I would also coat the inside of the frame with Eastwood Internal Frame Coating, after blasting it out with a pressure washer.

Stocking up on parts doesn't hurt. The ones you'll want to stock up on are the OE Mopar sensors. Those are the only crucial things to stock up on IMHO.

Reactions: billiebob
I think the frame hole plugs are a good idea during the winter to keep salt out, but I agree they should be removed during warmer months as you want to keep the frame ventilated.

Frame hole plugs are only a good idea if you remove them regularly and wash out the frame. They won't keep all the salt out, but they will keep some out. As long as you don't leave them in the frame to the point that they start keeping the salt in instead of keeping the salt out, they are a good idea.

The absolute best way to keep your TJ around for years to come is to not drive it in the salt at all. Just find a cheap winter beater and keep the TJ in the garage during the winter.

Can you buy a cheap commuter and store the TJ in the winter months ?

Okay: so a frame, a pcm (do rubis need a rubi specific pcm?)

Ditch the frame hole plugs....a cheap commuter, which isnt in the budget this winter but def will be in the coming winters.

Are there any specific sensors? Or just all of them?

For the PCM, the place you buy it from will program it to your VIN. Provide them the VIN and they will get you the right PCM for your Jeep. Check out Flag Ship 1 in New York. I just got one from them this week. Works perfectly and looks brand new. Cost was $187 shipped. Not a bad deal, IMO. Good luck. My TJ was built in July, '96 and she's going strong. You'll get way more than 20 years out of yours with your current maintenance and future planning.

Move away from the northeast.....?

I'm already at 20 years (1998 vintage), very little frame rust, but spent most of its life in Utah, with limited winter driving (I'm told). It's in Oregon now, and frame rust can be a problem here, especially if you go out on the sand. It will get thoroughly treated before any time out on the Dunes.

Winter sucks, but power wash the under carriage every now and then, (once a month for me) and you will be fine.

1544121633683.png

1544121560466.png

Last edited: