Key can be removed in the ON position

Frogman94

This is my first Jeep and my ignition key can be removed in both the ON position and the LOCKED position. I don't think it should be able to do that. I watched the video on how to replace the ignition switch and tumbler. Is it the tumbler that need to be replaced?

Some times its a worn key. @bobthetj03 has a key that comes out while in the on position. His spare key that doesn’t get much use doesn’t come out in the on position. If I remember correctly

Some times its a worn key. @bobthetj03 has a key that comes out while in the on position. His spare key that doesn’t get much use doesn’t come out in the on position. If I remember correctly

Correct, my key is just plain wore out, but it could be a combination of both in your case. Do you have a spare key to try?

Mine's done this even with a new key. Just figured tumbler is worn.
Come in handy a couple times needed to pull my key while driving so passenger could use them.

Rebuilding the key cylinder is pretty easy and inexpensive. Dorman makes a kit.

The pins and key wear together and chances are good that your new keys were copied from the old worn key. But new pins will most likely retain a worn key.

My TJ key comes out in either position and my old XJ key did the same thing. I thought it was a Jeep feature! I like it though. I use it to warm the Jeep up on cold mornings. I just lock it up and take the key with me while I finish getting ready.

Reactions: GrayGhost
My TJ key comes out in either position and my old XJ key did the same thing. I thought it was a Jeep feature! I like it though. I use it to warm the Jeep up on cold mornings. I just lock it up and take the key with me while I finish getting ready.
Mine did that too until the key was loose enough to fall out on a hard left turn. It became annoying. Then there is the odd quirk that seems to be limited to the 2003 where the radio shuts off if the key backs out enough.

Reactions: alittleoff
Mine had a similar issue. Sometimes the radio power would go off and the air bag light would come on if the key backed out at all. If I jiggled the key, it would fix both temporarily. New cylinder lock fixed the issues. Not too difficult of a fix.

Take it to a dealership have them computer cut a key for your ignition it'll cost about 30 bucks but you're not making a new key off of a crappy key they computer cut it

Here's another tip from the old geezer - get yourself a quick-release key ring with two "rings" on it. When you are driving, insert the ring with ONLY the ignition key on it, keep the rest in your pocket or throw it in the cup holder (but don't forget it!). Most ever'body that *I* know has a key ring like a freakin' JAILER with ~152 keys on it - the weight of all those keys hanging out of your ignition WILL wear out the ignition tumbler, which is likely what happened to the OP's Jeep...