Key can be removed while running

imactj2004

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Is there an electric switch that controls this or is it purely mechanical in the tumbler?

Check the video…vehicle can be running and in any gear, key can come out.

Attachments

• IMG_6422.MOV
    35 MB
  • FullSizeRender.MOV
    38.7 MB
The key and the cylinder are worn. You can rebuild the cylinder with a Dorman kit to solve half of the problem. Get a fresh key cut to correct the other half.

Reactions: txbemis69
Or just leave it like that...it doesn't hurt anything and can make for a fun prank with your buddies

As long as it won’t start with a screwdriver, it’s not really an issue. Many an old car from the 60s were like that.

Just DO NOT attempt to drive it with the key removed. Plenty of videos of people doing the same and the steering column locks up...
View attachment 419052

The good news is that removing the key in the run position has no way to actuate the steering column lock. That mechanism is tied to the rotation of the cylinder.

The good news is that removing the key in the run position has no way to actuate the steering column lock. That mechanism is tied to the rotation of the cylinder.

Aka, unless you also twist - this phenomenon makes zero sense and isn't likely to happen.

Reactions: P man
Aka, unless you also twist - this phenomenon makes zero sense and isn't likely to happen.

A long long time ago and for reasoning I don't recall, I decided to shift into neutral, step on the clutch and turn off the engine while rolling down the highway. The road took a turn and the steering wheel locked up as I began to follow the road. Now the car was headed towards the concrete wall lining the highway. Fortunately I quickly understood what was happening and started the engine so I could steer again.

Ours comes right out without hardly any effort.
I find this to be somewhat useful since it allows us to unlock the glovebox and/or center console while stopped at a light, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: Kerndone