Kia air pump replacement for Rubicon lockers

Rooster Feather

Supporting Member
Has anyone used the Kia Air pump as a replacement for their Locker Pump? Was wondering if in fact it is the same pump with the same output air pressure.

Craig

It's identical from what I've read.

Someone did this, I want to say it was @Alex01, but he doesn't have a Rubicon, so maybe not.

Reactions: Alex01
Reactions: Chris
I just installed an ARB pump with 2 outlets. On the one going to the Rubicon lockers I installed a regulator that cuts the pressure down to 5 PSI. Works great!
I need to do this as I can not find any OEM pumps. Would you mind sharing your parts list and how you did this? I was thinking of doing this but not sure which ARB model to get and all the parts needed to do this. I know the factory lockers have to be run at 5psi. Thanks in advance.

I just installed an ARB pump with 2 outlets. On the one going to the Rubicon lockers I installed a regulator that cuts the pressure down to 5 PSI. Works great!
Where did you find this regulator to cut it down to 5psi? Having trouble finding one myself. Thanks in advance.

Were you able to use the original switch to turn the lockers on and off, or is your solution a bypass ... just turn on the pump and the lockers engage? Also, can you post the regulator information? So many to choose from. Thanks!

I know you didn't ask me but here is what I have planned for when my next pump dies.

You can wire it in so it uses the factory switches but to me, it is better to use aftermarket switches since the factory runs through the PCM and restricts when the lockers can work and not work. I still get a light on my dash that turns on when my locked engage. That part is controlled by the little switch inside the housing and separate from the pumps.

To use factory switches just run the positives from the current pumps to the air solenoids.

I plan to get:
Put depending on how I'm feeling I might just swap in an ARB locker :)

Were you able to use the original switch to turn the lockers on and off, or is your solution a bypass ... just turn on the pump and the lockers engage? Also, can you post the regulator information? So many to choose from. Thanks!
My (overly complex) Rubicon locker switching circuit stopped working so I replaced it with two heavy-duty on-off switches. It was simple to bypass the wiring, I just wired the locker compressors like I would 12 volt light bulbs with a 5 amp fuse for both compressors.

Locker Switches 2.JPG

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis