Kinetic Recovery Rope Recommendation

I have a 30' Yankum 1" kinetic rope. Overkill for the Jeep. Just enough for the truck and tractor.

We also have a 3/4" Rhino China 20' kinetic rope.

I can definitely feel the difference with the Yankum... but that might be the bigger longer rope.

20' is great for snow wheeling and quick unsticks.

30' is great for the really stuck in the mud situations.

We use both kinetic ropes, HF tree straps, Black Magic Brakes soft shackles and winch ropes, Rhino China straps on my YT channel if you want to make your own opinions.

-Mac

Looks like fun. Had to wait for the 35 minute mark for you to use it "kinetically" tho'.. whew.

Not always feasible, but when possible, I much prefer to pull from the back of the recovery rig, allowing controlled forward steering, more speed, continued momentum, and a harder, more confident hit, usually just one.

Not ball busting, just observations.

Would like to have seen one of you chained up on all 4. 🔥

Thanks for the video!

Reactions: macleanflood
Some show breaking point and also working load, others just show breaking point. I suppose there is a calculation you can do if only one number is provided. Also, is there any regulation at all on these products or do you just have to take the seller/manufacturer's word/claim? I'm guessing these products also age out?

Some research shows the kinetic rope should be sized 3X breaking point of the weight of the vehicle being recovered, another site says it should be sized to 3X the weight of the recovering vehicle and yet another says size it to the lightest vehicle in the equation :unsure: . I want something I can use to pull a Jeep with a Jeep, or pull a Jeep with a heavy truck, or pull a heavy truck (8,800 lbs) out with another unknown vehicle so I'm thinking it may not be possible to get by with a single rope, I may need 2 sizes. It would be nice though to be able to get by with a single rope, say a 1" for both vehicles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Igoo65
  • Safe working load limit: 10,985 lb. ??? (other 7/8 are closer to 30K lbs ??) caveat emptor

Exactly what I'm talking about in post #25. Minimum Breaking Strength (MBS) or Maximum Tensile Strength (MTS) vs. Working Load Limit (WLL). Some publish both and many publish only one. Are you confusing MTS with WLL? Even a 7/8" Yankum Python is only rated 9,000 max WLL while it's MTS is 28,600.

It also is a good example of the other point of my post #25, the claims made by the sellers. I have to wonder how a $50 Chinesium 7/8" rope can be rated almost 2,000 lbs more WLL than a $210 USA made 7/8" Yankum? I'm thinking if you go with a bargain rope you would probably want to seriously over size it. But then, I'm far from an expert but if it's anything like the LED market the seller can claim whatever they want and nobody is going to stop them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Igoo65
Exactly what I'm talking about in post #25. Minimum Breaking Strength (MBS) or Maximum Tensile Strength (MTS) vs. Working Load Limit (WLL). Some publish both and many publish only one. Are you confusing MTS with WLL? Even a 7/8" Yankum Python is only rated 9,000 max WLL while it's MTS is 28,600.

It also is a good example of the other point of my post #25, the claims made by the sellers. I have to wonder how a $50 Chinesium 7/8" rope can be rated almost 2,000 lbs more WLL than a $210 USA made 7/8" Yankum? I'm thinking if you go with a bargain rope you would probably want to seriously over size it. But then, I'm far from an expert but if it's anything like the LED market the seller can claim whatever they want and nobody is going to stop them.
If someone is really bashing on a kinetic rope they are doing it wrong.

What if it kills you the second time?

🤔

I do love the picture of the Jeep with the strap photoshopped in…

I would think much less likely to kill compared to a snapped winch cable. Same safety precautions should apply tho.

I'm trying to find some data on the lifespan of a kinetic rope/strap, as in, how many pulls before it might lose elasticity and become more of a static rope. Not finding much, yet.
Are there tells that it's diminishing effectiveness.

I've used my 1" x 30' Masterpull probably 10 times and it still seems fine. Yanked a TJ and an JL tied together with a static strap out with my XJ. They'd both done the throttle dig and were up to the pumpkins in hard snow with the strap between them too tight to remove. You can imagine I hit it pretty hard, but likely not more than the recommended 5mph. Whatever a 10 - 15' run at it is. I think 3 hits with each one harder than the previous. It's most efficient to be aggressive on the first shot.
They are not for every situation of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba
The 7/8" one is a dollar cheaper! Plus, you can actually wear this one as opposed to others which are not wearable, and you shall not miss it!😄
One of the things about the expensive ones is the fear of damaging it, with a cheapo I guess you just toss it and buy another. @Zorba , did you also get the soft shackles they offer in the bundle deal?

wearable.jpg

shall not miss.jpg