inkedrose

washed up superhero
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I have an 04", manual Rubi with 45k miles. I am no mechanic but can follow youtube and been reading this forum pretty much daily. Street legal but primarily used on trails. I wheel minimum once a week, usually more. Trails are moderate to what I think is difficult. Do regular fluid changes, did a cooling system flush/thermostat and hoses, brake fluid flush, plugs, ect... Have had a professional inspect it a couple times to make sure I'm not missing things. Inspect after every trip looking for loose bolts, extra wires, what ever looks off.
I've been pushing this Jeep harder than any vehicle I've ever owned and want to make sure it lasts. How do I know when more major things need serviced? What should I watch for with axels, bearings & seals? I've read ball joints and U joints wear over time, how do I know when they are going bad? Anything else I should be looking for? Someone posted this inspection sheet awhile back, been using it as a guide but don't know enough to know what I'm looking for. Thanks as always for the help

Attachments

• Vehicle Inspection Check List.pdf
    129.3 KB · Views: 93
Ain't broke don't fix it.

Do your regular fluid maintenance... maybe up the intervals cause you're hitting it hard. I did a 1600 mile road and wheeling trip, got home and changed the oil.

Nut and bolt check before wheeling hard and before I drive home.

-Mac

Reactions: inkedrose
Look for any play in the tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings and u-joints. I jacked mine up and shook the tire to notice play in the wheel bearings. My axle u-joints were so bad, I could shake the shafts by hand.

Reactions: inkedrose
Look for any play in the tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings and u-joints. I jacked mine up and shook the tire to notice play in the wheel bearings. My axle u-joints were so bad, I could shake the shafts by hand.

Thats the answers I'm looking for. Not sure what else I can be doing besides visual inspection. Paint marker on all bolts to make sure nothings backing out.

What about stuff like shocks? How do I know when they're finished? I have Fox 2.0 up front, heard they're supposed to be serviced? Also read about C-clips and axel shaft problems. Guessing a bent shaft will wobble pretty bad? Is there anything preventative I should be looking for or is it "deal with it when it breaks"?