Lange Hoist-a-Top

deadbeat son

TJ Addict
I bought a used Lange frame for lifting the top off of my TJ. The frame was originally used for a JK, so I bought the TJ specific rear window hook from Lange to be able to lift my top with the rear window closed. However, the window does not want to close with it in place. The instructions say to close it carefully, but I don't want to force it and end up with a situation similar to the predicament @Alex01 and @Midnight LJR are in. Does anyone here use this hook, and if so, can you confirm that the window is very difficult to close with it in place? I really don't want to force my window closed if it will end up as a pile of shards on the floor.

IMG_8593.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought a used Lange frame for lifting the top off of my TJ. The frame was originally used for a JK, so I bought the TJ specific rear window hook from Lange to be able to lift my top with the rear window closed. However, the window does not want to close with it in place. The instructions say to close it carefully, but I don't want to force it and end up with a situation similar to the predicament @Alex01 and @Midnight LJR are in. Does anyone here use this hook, and if so, can you confirm that the window is very difficult to close with it in place? I really don't want to force my window closed if it will end up as a pile of shards on the floor.

View attachment 517192

Do not force it in the slightest. I was amazed the window shattered with the force that was applied.

I have the Lange hoist with the red TJ hook and I used it with my previous TJ. I remember it being tight but not so much to concern me. It seems like I had to wiggle it a bit because the hook was pushing on the inside trim.

You can leave the window open as well, unless you don't have room against the wall. The ceiling shouldn't be a factor since the front strap connection is long enough that you can't get the top up that high. Here’s mine, about as high as it could go:

IMG_2151.jpeg

I understand the fear of breaking the window. I shattered the rear window into a million pieces trying to adjust the hinges. I was finding glass in there for the next several years.

Reactions: deadbeat son
Do not force it in the slightest. I was amazed the window shattered with the force that was applied.
I would have never given it a second thought until I read your post. Now I'm gun shy.

I remember it being tight but not so much to concern me. It seems like I had to wiggle it a bit because the hook was pushing on the inside trim.

Thank you so much for the specific experience. I guess I just don't know what is tight vs concerningly tight. After seeing Alex's post in Midnight LJR's thread, I am a little hesitant. I don't really have room for the open window, and will be using the T-frame instead of the strap system. I do appreciate your photos though!

Follow up question, @nk24, do you have to begin to lift the top before closing the rear window, or do you insert the hook, close the window, and then begin to lift?

Follow up question, @nk24, do you have to begin to lift the top before closing the rear window, or do you insert the hook, close the window, and then begin to lift?

I don't remember how I did it the few times I used it. I think you could do it either way.

From the Simple Hoist instructions (attached, page 8 of 11):

1712781387444.png

I'm trying to think of a reason why it would matter.

Attachments

• Lange.pdf
    467.3 KB · Views: 15
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
The top is bulky, but not heavy, like a bit less than 150 lbs. I bet those hinge hooks work just fine.

I thought of one more thing to try after reading your post in the other thread. Instead of inserting the Lange hook with the window fully open, I'm going to insert it with the window at an acute angle and see if I can gently close it.

I have been working on a hoist for our TJ, the back glass was a concern of mine. Now I'm gun shy, tempted to try that hinge bracket. Curious of feedback there.

I'm just following up in this thread to confirm that the OP is a moron. Or, to quote one of my 11yo daughter's favorite artists, "Hello, it's me. I'm the problem, it's me."

When I was test fitting the Lange hook, I was so fixated on watching it to ensure it was well positioned and didn't interfere with closing the rear glass that I didn't even notice that my tailgate had closed slightly causing the window to hit the spare tire and that's why it wasn't closing. There are no interference issues with the hook itself.

IMG_8616.jpeg

I'm just following up in this thread to confirm that the OP is a moron. Or, to quote one of my 11yo daughter's favorite artists, "Hello, it's me. I'm the problem, it's me."

When I was test fitting the Lange hook, I was so fixated on watching it to ensure it was well positioned and didn't interfere with closing the rear glass that I didn't even notice that my tailgate had closed slightly causing the window to hit the spare tire and that's why it wasn't closing. There are no interference issues with the hook itself.

View attachment 520556

Happens to the best of us. Glad you got it sorted out.

This hook can be used with the window open too, correct?
With my current setup, I need to be able to walk under/through the top when it's being stored.