Leaking oil from front right hub assembly (RHD)

Jeep05tj

Hey all,
I went for a drive the other day and could hear a long, metallic creaky noise that would go with the rotation of the wheels.
Today I was having a look underneath and around the front steering assembly and noticed oil around the back of the front right hub.
I know my way around a motor but steering and the driveline aren't my strong suits.
Where do you think it's coming from and what needs to be replaced?
Thanks in advance for any help

273686781_484470926408786_903513395272576676_n.jpg

273740473_928005824575085_2873336562749366952_n.jpg

273632110_1123116268511830_3352775468434960270_n.jpg

In the picture the axles have greasable tube seals installed; is that substance you have on your finger gearlube or grease ?
I would jack up the front end, place the front on jack stands, remove the tires and spin the axles to identify exactly where the noise is coming from.

Reactions: Artsifrtsi
In the picture the axles have greasable tube seals installed; is that substance you have on your finger gearlube or grease ?
I would jack up the front end, place the front on jack stands, remove the tires and spin the axles to identify exactly where the noise is coming from.
Yeah it's definitely grease. The PO put these seals in and they've done less than 5,000 miles. I'll put it on stands tomorrow and give the wheels a spin.

I just checked again, it has grease on the bottom of the assembly and gear oil around the shaft.
Check the gear lube level in the front differential.
The gear lube should trickle out or just about trickle out when checking on level flat ground.
IF the level is over full when the Jeep is off camber for periods of time; the gearlube can seep thru the axle seals inside and accumulate in the axle tube.
There is a possibility the noise could be created by damaged spider gears and thrust washers, but you would need to remove the differential cover to determine; this would be evidenced by a lot of sparkly metal particles.
Before going internal to the front differential; check the front end, brake assemblies and hub bearings for wear.

Last edited:
Check the gear lube level in the front differential.
The gear lube should trickle out or just about trickle out when checking on level flat ground.
IF the level is over full when the Jeep is off camber for periods of time; the gearlube can seep thru the axle seals inside and accumulate in the axle tube.
There is a possibility the noise could be created by damaged spider gears and thrust washers, but you would need to remove the differential cover to determine; this would be evidenced by a lot of sparkly metal particles.
Before going internal to the front differential; check the front end, brake assemblies and hub bearings for wear.
Also, if you are not sure when it was last changed, I'd say pop the diff cover, inspect/clean out the diff, and refill with clean fluid. (do this for both if no record of this being done)

Reactions: hear
My bet is you have an inner axle seal leak. If you pull the axle shafts to replace the inner seal, remove those stupid/unneeded aftermarket outer axle shaft seals at the same time. My used TJ came with them and I tossed them in the trash at my first opportunity. Not only are they not needed, they will also slow down the discovery of an inner axle shaft seal leak.

Outer-Seals.jpg

My bet is you have an inner axle seal leak. If you pull the axle shafts to replace the inner seal, remove those stupid/unneeded aftermarket outer axle shaft seals at the same time. My used TJ came with them and I tossed them in the trash at my first opportunity. Not only are they not needed, they will also slow down the discovery of an inner axle shaft seal leak.

View attachment 310345
"remove those stupid/unneeded aftermarket outer axle shaft seals"

How do you really feel, Jerry?

• Haha
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
This video shows how to regear your axle but starting at 6:30 he shows how he removes and replaces his inner seals.

Reactions: matkal
Thread-Jack. So I discovered the same leaky issue on my HP30 & a few weeks back there was a squeal for a minute or 2. I'm assuming it was a bearing noise & it went away when the remaining gear oil worked its way in. Can I top off the diff oil temporarily until I get a chance to change seals? It's parked now. Thanks

Thread-Jack. So I discovered the same leaky issue on my HP30 & a few weeks back there was a squeal for a minute or 2. I'm assuming it was a bearing noise & it went away when the remaining gear oil worked its way in. Can I top off the diff oil temporarily until I get a chance to change seals? It's parked now. Thanks
If you can't replace the seal you'll definitely have to keep adding gear lube to keep it from running dry.

If you can't replace the seal you'll definitely have to keep adding gear lube to keep it from running dry.
Right, I figured that. Checking it before a trip and adding each time as necessary. This is a just in case scenario. It's parked and 17° so I'm not eager to take my meager heat TJ for a joyride. Thanks Jerry

70-140 if I remember right?
I used full synth last time.
Is there a conventional high mileage that might renew those seals like in engine oil?