Leaking thermostat housing (What am I doing wrong?)

The FSM says to install the gasket dry with the silicone bead toward the pump. For your uneven block mating surface, it might not be a bad idea to smear a thin coat of Gasgacinch or what have you on the block side. Have you taken a straight edge to the block?

The FSM says to install the gasket dry with the silicone bead toward the pump. For your uneven block mating surface, it might not be a bad idea to smear a thin coat of Gasgacinch or what have you on the block side. Have you taken a straight edge to the block?

I have not tried a straight edge on the block but that's a good idea.

Whelp I got it all back together last night.

Tacked in the OEM thermostat with a little RTV. It did seem to fit better than before. Note: the OEM thermostat has the bleed hole already.

I broke down a put a thin bead of The Right Stuff Gasket Maker on each side of the gasket.

Bought a HF 5-80 ftlb torque wrench. Snugged the bolts, then alternately torqued to 10, 15, and 20.

Poured back in my coolant, for the fourth time. This time I put it through a paint strainer because it had been in the bucket a couple days.

Good news: the thermostat housing isn't leaking.

Bad news: the upper heater hose is leaking. No biggie, I already replaced the upper & lower radiator hoses and this one did feel a little chewed up. I'll replace this one too and eliminate that Prestone Flush N Fill fitting from the previous steps.

So ends my saga. Now maybe I can get to the fun stuff!

Thanks team!

Last edited: