Leather boot install

TJoe

I just got a new leather shift boot from Redline Goods and am trying to install it, but it seems to be a bit small and I can't get it over the edges as per instructions. Any suggestions on installing it?

Throw it in the trash. Leave it there until trash day and take it to the curb.

That's what I did after fighting with it for hours.

Install instructions on their website state to use the existing bezel and rubber boot and use Gorilla Glue or hot glue to glue the edge of the leather to the rubber and once it's cured, cut the rubber boot and install. Hot glue creates a rigid layer that adds thickness. Gorilla Glue foams as it cures which spills out thru the perforations. So once you add the additional thickness of the leather and glue, the whole assembly does not fit. I even tried to just glue the leather to the bezel and still no good.

• Wow
Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
I had redline shifter and e-brake boots on my Skyline. I have nothing but praise for them.

I'd try getting it warm and stretching it as mentioned.

Reactions: TJoe
Soaking it in water will allow you to stretch it too. It won't hurt the leather either.
This would be your best bet. Run warm water over it until it dampens the leather. It doesn't have to be dripping wet, just wet through the leather. Good leather will stretch more than you'd think.
I would start at the front, where it won't show as much, and work it around the sides until you get it all the way around. Once you get it where you want it, let it set for at least a few minutes. If you plan on gluing it, wait until it's completely dry.
Once it has stretched and dried, you should be able to do whatever you want with it.
BTW, this is how I make my holsters.

I’ll admit my redline leather boot was a b*tch to install. It did run a bit small. I ended up glueing it and I also stapled the edges to the rubber boot underneath. Seemed to work well enough to hold it in place and the staples aren’t visible once installed.

You soak it hot water first and you'll be able to stretch that sucker over Stacy Abrams head including her huge, gappy ass teeth it'll be so pliable. Like @C.J.Roberts said about his holsters, I do the same thing when I have to "rebone" a holster.

This would be your best bet. Run warm water over it until it dampens the leather. It doesn't have to be dripping wet, just wet through the leather. Good leather will stretch more than you'd think.
I would start at the front, where it won't show as much, and work it around the sides until you get it all the way around. Once you get it where you want it, let it set for at least a few minutes. If you plan on gluing it, wait until it's completely dry.
Once it has stretched and dried, you should be able to do whatever you want with it.
BTW, this is how I make my holsters.
You soak it hot water first and you'll be able to stretch that sucker over Stacy Abrams head including her huge, gappy ass teeth it'll be so pliable. Like @C.J.Roberts said about his holsters, I do the same thing when I have to "rebone" a holster.

Worked perfectly, thank you so much! Tried it last night and it stretched far more than I thought it would when I got it.

20211021_073941.jpg