Left front turn signal comes on when I hit the brakes

Claims86

Recently purchased this Jeep. When I hit the brake, the left front signal comes on. Doesn't flash stays on. I can barely depress left turn signal and light goes off. Any ideas 💡 🤔? Thanks, David

Recently purchased this Jeep. When I hit the brake, the left front signal comes on. Doesn't flash stays on. I can barely depress left turn signal and light goes off. Any ideas 💡 🤔? Thanks, David
Sounds like your MFS is bad.

Sounds like your MFS is bad.
I bet the connector is fried.
20200101_160848.jpg

You're gonna need a new switch and connector pigtail.
20200112_091007.jpg

This happens because the headlights power is going thru the mfs. Probably all other lights as well.
Headlights draw the most power so generate the most heat. The factory wiring on that circuit is 16 gauge, it should be 12 gauge for that length circuit.

The real fix is to wire you're headlights directly to the battery using relays. Some people install LEDs in place of halogens. Both of which work to reduce heat in this circuit.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Starting
That problem is usually caused by nothing more than a lazy spring not returning the turn signal switch completely back to its center position after completing the turn. You can verify that by just giving the turn signal switch a nudge towards its center position and confirming the problem stops. Replace the MFS and you'll fix the issue.

Reactions: Daryl
Ha...mine does this too. Not sure if it's just my front signal, or both front and rear. Did it from the time I bought it new. Took it in and they "fixed it" for a while, but it has come back.

I actually don't mind it too much...That's why his nickname is Lefty!

Mine will freeze the left blinker if the brake is compressed. If i flick the high beams on and off it resumes clicking as normal. I'm gonna open mine up and see if i can clean it up a bit.

Ha! This thread made me laugh. I like my Jeep a lot. But its a pile. Example: my flashers (just the rear) come on randomly but without the dash indicator blinking. MFS? Melted connector like the blower motor resistor connector? Ground? Haven't figured that one out yet. Many good learning opportunities, though as long as you don't mind looking stupid while you're learning.