Lessons learned (my struggle with death wobble)

RubiconMan

I wanted to pass on some lessons I learned regarding death wobble.

If you do not wish to do troubleshooting, take your jeep to a 4X4 shop, and if they find any problems, ask them to also check the areas below. Sometimes the shops will just fix the first problem they find.

Do not take your jeep to a standard tire shop to have the tires balanced.

If you wish to do your own own troubleshooting, the first step in troubleshooting is to remove the steering stabilizer.

If anyone recommends that you install a new steering stabilizer, remind them that it has nothing to do with death wobble except mask it.

In my experience, death wobble is usually the result of several factors, do not stop checking when you find one.

Check the ball joints by jacking up the each front tire, using a pry bar or a 2 x 4 and move the tire up and down. Look for any movement or clicking sound in the ball joints.

With the tire off the ground check the wheel bearings by grabbing the tire and shaking the tire left to right.

Rather than just checking the torque on the track bar bolts, I would take the track bar off and check both mounting brackets for excessive play using the supplied bolts. Check the condition of the bushings, and also check the play with the bolt in the bushing sleeve. Another area to check is the correct size bolt on both ends of the track bar, this only applies to aftermarket track bars such as JKS.

Check the tie rod ends by having someone turn the wheel from side to side and checking for any movement.

Check the control arm bushing for any play using a pry bar.

If you find any of the above problems, take the jeep to 4X4 shop and have the problems fixed. Ask the shop to balance the tires and rotate front to back. Also have the shop perform an alignment.

Ensure that the shop road tests the jeep after fixing any issues with the steering stabilizer removed. There is nothing more frustrating than having to return to the same shop several times for the same issue.

Reactions: IJK and Chris
I was on board until this - I’ve not found any shops I want to work on my Jeep. Most of what you listed is pretty easy to do yourself and will save you a decent bit of cash.
Hi Rasband, thanks for your comment. You are correct except for the ball joints. I was lucky my neighbor experience changing ball joints.

I wanted to pass on some lessons I learned regarding death wobble.

If you do not wish to do troubleshooting, take your jeep to a 4X4 shop, and if they find any problems, ask them to also check the areas below. Sometimes the shops will just fix the first problem they find.

Do not take your jeep to a standard tire shop to have the tires balanced.

If you wish to do your own own troubleshooting, the first step in troubleshooting is to remove the steering stabilizer.

If anyone recommends that you install a new steering stabilizer, remind them that it has nothing to do with death wobble except mask it.

In my experience, death wobble is usually the result of several factors, do not stop checking when you find one.

Check the ball joints by jacking up the each front tire, using a pry bar or a 2 x 4 and move the tire up and down. Look for any movement or clicking sound in the ball joints.
What is the allowable tolerance for up and down movement?

With the tire off the ground check the wheel bearings by grabbing the tire and shaking the tire left to right.
How do you distinguish between unit bearing slop and slop elsewhere in the system?
Rather than just checking the torque on the track bar bolts, I would take the track bar off and check both mounting brackets for excessive play using the supplied bolts.
What is considered excessive play between the bolt and the mounting bracket?
Check the condition of the bushings, and also check the play with the bolt in the bushing sleeve.
What is the tolerable amount of play between the bolt and bushing sleeve?
Another area to check is the correct size bolt on both ends of the track bar, this only applies to aftermarket track bars such as JKS.

Check the tie rod ends by having someone turn the wheel from side to side and checking for any movement.

Check the control arm bushing for any play using a pry bar.

If you find any of the above problems, take the jeep to 4X4 shop and have the problems fixed. Ask the shop to balance the tires and rotate front to back. Also have the shop perform an alignment.
How does an alignment affect DW? Or put another way, what alignment specs can I use to induce DW?
There is nothing more frustrating than having to return to the same shop several times for the same issue.
Which is precisely why one should not take their rig to a shop.

What is the allowable tolerance for up and down movement?

How do you distinguish between unit bearing slop and slop elsewhere in the system?

What is considered excessive play between the bolt and the mounting bracket?

What is the tolerable amount of play between the bolt and bushing sleeve?

How does an alignment affect DW? Or put another way, what alignment specs can I use to induce DW?

Which is precisely why one should not take their rig to a shop.

Lots of questions but no answers.

OMG! I need to get that set from the video!! Had one hell of time with ford ball joints before with their stupid pressed in inserts around the ball joint. That set looks fantastic!!