Let's See Your Center Console

RussTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
When I bought my '97 it had the single cup holder model and I picked up a full size console from Craigslist. It has two cup holders and some storage but I haven't been really happy with it and I'm thinking of making a change. I know some members use ammo cans and I'd imagine that some people have made their own or bought aftermarket. Let's see 'em. Thanks.
upload_2018-11-4_16-33-19.png

upload_2018-11-4_16-34-53.png

upload_2018-11-4_16-35-55.png

upload_2018-11-4_16-36-33.png

upload_2018-11-4_16-34-17.png

Reactions: Fonz54
My 2005 SE didn't come with a center console or should I say armrest? It came with 2 cup holders that's it. I did some research and found a few I liked but they were very expensive around $400. I almost bought one but instead I decided to build one. Normally I am totally against using wood for anything on a vehicle but this way I could build it to the specs, height, I wanted. I absolutely had to have an armrest and I could easily mount my CB radio inside of it. I know this is not for everyone and it's not great looking but very practical for an armrest, CB radio, and pistol holder. I also put 2 small speaker grills on the side to hear the CB. Total cost around $50.

If someone wanted to make a homemade console look a little nicer, the screw holes could be filled in with wood dough and sanded smooth. The exposed wood grain could also be slicked in and sanded smooth. A heavier, high gloss paint to make it look more like plastic would also improve it cosmetically.

cc2.jpeg

cc1.jpeg

Last edited:
Heres mine in our 04 Willys, I used a 40mm can for the bottom with a 50 cal can on top, the height is just an inch or so over the factory, perfect for me as an arm rest being 6'2. I used a park brake handle out of a scrap fork truck from work for the park brake the only odd thing is that with the way its mounted down is setting the brake but it works like a champ and is adjustable to boot. I also mounted my winch contactor inside the 40mm can so my controler plug and everything is inside protected.

image.jpg

Looks very cool! The grenade, the fork truck handle, great idea, and the OD green bed liner a nice touch.

Heres mine in our 04 Willys, I used a 40mm can for the bottom with a 50 cal can on top, the height is just an inch or so over the factory, perfect for me as an arm rest being 6'2. I used a park brake handle out of a scrap fork truck from work for the park brake the only odd thing is that with the way its mounted down is setting the brake but it works like a champ and is adjustable to boot. I also mounted my winch contactor inside the 40mm can so my controler plug and everything is inside protected.

View attachment 61601
Nice.....where did you get your seat covers?

Thanks the seat covers are factory for the 04-05 Willy’s edition. When I saw monstaliner had od green bed liner I had to have it too.

Reactions: RussTJ
I have the two cup holder version. But have been considering building or adding on to the lid. So I could actually use it as an armrest. I'm 6'3". So my elbows don't touch it. Thinking about just adding a big pad to it. With really firm foam. Or maybe a rubber base and foam on top of that. Covered in leather or vinyl. Someone should make a replacement that's taller and padded.

I am going to make one from an ammo can here soon. I have the full console now. my idea is the try to graft the two together just behind the E Brake handle slot. Maybe it will blend in a little better.

If you have the tall one, punch that plastic crap out and make an internal box out of some thin MDF. I have an
'06 Rubicon so it has the cutout for the sub already down there, perfect for my CB. I should mention that the sub was blown when I bought it, and I have a pair of 6x9's in the back so they provide plenty of bass. Just gut the whole console, and if you want, I'll give you the dimension for the box I'm building.

I took 2 ammo boxes welded together, painted the same Steel blue as my TJ. I added a shelf so I can still get to the hand-brake below if needed.
1575855899461.png

1575855926596.png

1575855954586.png

When I bought my '97 it had the single cup holder model and I picked up a full size console from Craigslist. It has two cup holders and some storage but I haven't been really happy with it and I'm thinking of making a change. I know some members use ammo cans and I'd imagine that some people have made their own or bought aftermarket. Let's see 'em. Thanks.
View attachment 61563

View attachment 61565
View attachment 61566
View attachment 61567

View attachment 61564

DE89DA09-C113-47BD-A941-263D8B2B3F0D.jpeg

Ive got the 2002 SE so no arm rest/storage but I like that it’s an open space. Makes the car feel sporty-er

Reactions: Dyl and RussTJ