Lets talk about springs...

Here's a thought on this topic...of those 2" lift springs that fall into the category of possibly good springs that are part of a not-so-great kit, usually due to shocks that suck, how do these compare, just the coil springs:

BDS
Rough Country
ProComp
Rubicon Express

Or any others not listed...
Its really hard to screw up a spring. I have peers that run every single one of those springs, the shocks are what matter (Which you know). So I guess without using the same shock with every spring on the same vehicle in a short timeframe, its hard to say whether one or the other is better. Between those 4, if it was my money I'd go with BDS. Usually when people on forums rave about customer support, its a really good sign. No questions asked if a pretty great warranty as well.

I've used some of Rubicon express' other stuff, and have been impress with quality, so I'm sure their springs are good. However, the smallest spring lift they offer is a 3.5" Anything lower they use spacers. The trick with springs is that its about the design...How they achieve whatever spring rate the mfg determines necessary. If the internal stress is too great, that is when you have problems with settling.

To REALLY figure this out, you'd have to buy all the different springs, and take some measurements. Coil diameter, wire diameter, pitch, rate, etc. Then you can calculate the stress in the material. With that information, you can look at a stress graph for spring steel, and look at where that calculated data puts you on the graph...that will tell you if you can safely coil bind the spring and still be in the elastic deformation stage (where the spring will return to its original dimensions) or if you run into the plastic deformation stage (where it will take a set).

A quality spring will use thicker diameter and more coils (longer piece of wire) to achieve spring rate. Its cheaper to spread the coils out and use thinner material to achieve the desired rate. However...Thinner wire and longer distance in the coils means the internal stress will be higher, so the chance of settling is also higher. Like Mrblaine has said MANY MANY times...Its all a trade-off of cost vs perceived benefit.

Reactions: JMT
Its really hard to screw up a spring. I have peers that run every single one of those springs, the shocks are what matter (Which you know). So I guess without using the same shock with every spring on the same vehicle in a short timeframe, its hard to say whether one or the other is better. Between those 4, if it was my money I'd go with BDS. Usually when people on forums rave about customer support, its a really good sign. No questions asked if a pretty great warranty as well.
Just wondering, what lift do you ultimately get with BDS 2" lift? It is reported by many members that you get 2.5 with OME's.

Suspension, is all compromise and it's not just one part, it's the total package.

I've been involved in setting up racecars for years, and have done some testing for a local 4x4 suspension manufacturer.

Knowing ARB, they're selling a suspension package, and I presume they've re-valved shocks to suit their springs. Most smaller manufacturers will be doing springs and then just looking at open and closed lengths of shocks and trying a few brands that they have access to, to see whats best off the shelf.

I'm pretty happy with my OME HD kit, the only reason I can see for change is because I need to replace worn suspension arms and upgrading these by themselves might not be cost effective compared to buying say a Savvy 3" complete kit.

I looked at that... knowing that I'd want new control arms eventually, I priced out a Currie lift, and its still more expensive to buy the Currie. The ome lift will net 2.5 inches with their spring pads (10mm thick)

I just pieced out a OME HD front and rear springs and shocks. I bought only the things I needed. I have installed the springs, and am in the middle of aligning the front end when it got late(Need to adjust the camber 2 degrees). If I am sober tomorrow, I will at least get the alignment done, and put the wheels on and take the final measurements. I measured before I started, and have not moved the vehicle. I still have other things to do like add the quicker discos so I probably am not going to be able to drive it till next weekend but if I get the front wheels on it tomorrow i will take some measurements, but just eyeballing it is very noticeably higher. Like I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little over 2 inches to 2.5 inches.

Since I didn't buy the kit, I bought I also bought the heavy duty front nitro sport shocks for the front. I imagine mine will ride a little tougher, but I do plan on loading it down and camping in it.

stay tuned.

I just pieced out a OME HD front and rear springs and shocks. I bought only the things I needed. I have installed the springs, and am in the middle of aligning the front end when it got late(Need to adjust the camber 2 degrees). If I am sober tomorrow, I will at least get the alignment done, and put the wheels on and take the final measurements. I measured before I started, and have not moved the vehicle. I still have other things to do like add the quicker discos so I probably am not going to be able to drive it till next weekend but if I get the front wheels on it tomorrow i will take some measurements, but just eyeballing it is very noticeably higher. Like I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little over 2 inches to 2.5 inches.

Since I didn't buy the kit, I bought I also bought the heavy duty front nitro sport shocks for the front. I imagine mine will ride a little tougher, but I do plan on loading it down and camping in it.

stay tuned.
Can’t wait to see the end results! Waiting...

Just wondering, what lift do you ultimately get with BDS 2" lift? It is reported by many members that you get 2.5 with OME's.
Here are my measurements before and After with BDS 2" lift kit and 31" BFG Tires over 30" stock tires

Before Front:
IMG_3220.JPG
After Front:
IMG_3235.JPG
Before Rear:
IMG_3222.JPG
After Rear:
IMG_3236.JPG

I measured from the floor to the frame just behind the lower control arm bracket on the crossmember side. tire air pressure 28 all of the way around. I measured before and just after. I haven't even driven it yet but here are the numbers.

before
Right front 14
Right rear 14.5
Left front 14.5
Left rear 15

After
Right front 17
Right rear 18
Left front 17
Left rear 18

reminder
I pieced together my lift with
2.0 inch OME front and rear heavy duty springs and shocks
10mm spacers front and rear

Now I haven't driven it yet so it may settle down but this is the measurements before and after Not sure why I got 3 inches and it only advertised 2, but that is why I am thinking it may settle down a little after I drive it.

I still have more to do like from disco's and hand torque everything, and adjust the e-brake cable. you know finish work.

Not sure why I got 3 inches and it only advertised 2, but that is why I am thinking it may settle down....
Thanks for the info. It is commonly reported the OME springs net you 2.5 inches and with the 10mm spacers (.4 inches) get you right at 3" of lift.

If I may ask, what did you pay?

Reactions: ac_
Thanks for the info. It is commonly reported the OME springs net you 2.5 inches and with the 10mm spacers (.4 inches) get you right at 3" of lift.

If I may ask, what did you pay?

I pieced it all out because when I ordered the kit it was reported back that I wouldn't get it for 70 days, but pieced out I could get it right away. It didn't really save me any money to piece it out,

Parts list

Front springs 2933 Heavy
Rear springs 2942 Heavy
2 Front Trim spacers OMEJGF10
2 Rear Trim spacers OMEWTJPR10
Rear track bar bracket FKWTJ02
transfer case lowering kit Old Man Emu Part #: JWGK01
2 60048 Nitro rear sport shocks
2 60047 Nitro front sport shocks (Heavy)
OME bumpstops

Cost a touch over $900

Reactions: bobthetj03
I pieced it all out because when I ordered the kit it was reported back that I wouldn't get it for 70 days, but pieced out I could get it right away. It didn't really save me any money to piece it out,

Parts list

Front springs 2933 Heavy
Rear springs 2942 Heavy
2 Front Trim spacers OMEJGF10
2 Rear Trim spacers OMEWTJPR10
Rear track bar bracket FKWTJ02
transfer case lowering kit Old Man Emu Part #: JWGK01
2 60048 Nitro rear sport shocks
2 60047 Nitro front sport shocks (Heavy)
OME bumpstops

Cost a touch over $900

You'll get a kick out of this. Just for the sake of how much inflation has taken place over the years, here's what my OME kit cost back in 06.
Scan0020.jpg

Reactions: ac_