Lever action rifles

Here's a couple of pictures that I snagged of Ruger #1's and Ruger #3's for you Chris. Both have been made in .44 Remington Magnum. Good luck finding an affordable #3 in that caliber though. OK, good luck finding any #3 that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Ruger #1 in .44-
Ruger #1.jpg

Ruger #3-
Ruger #3.jpg

There's also a gas operated Ruger .44 Carbine out there. It's a fun little carbine, but pretty modern.
Ruger 44 Carbine.jpg

Reactions: Chris
So cool! Nothing like a lever action rifle paired with a single action revolver.

Now all you need is some cowboy boots and a hat!

I've never owned or fired a lever action rifle, but I have to admit, they appeal to me. It's probably all the western movies I've seen that makes me want one.

However, the more I read about them, the more it sounds like they aren't much good (as far as rifles go). It seems a bolt action is better in every possible way, which makes me think that the only purpose a lever action rifle has, is satisfying nostalgia.

Does anyone own a lever action rifle? Are they as poorly inaccurate (at long distances) as I read? Is there a certain model that stands out among others?

What kind of round are you using and are the rounds any different than a traditional bolt action rifle round?
.. ....... New here ..but just got my first lever action a month ago winchester..444 lots of fun ..great bush gun .I will be back in Alaska in April was told it will take down anything...after shooting it I believe!!

Sounds like lots of fun! I'm planning on purchasing either a Winchester 92' or 94' in .45 colt.

Have you considered a Ruger single-shot rifle in a big bore chambering? Possibly something like a 45-70. Buffalo rifle ....
My weapons of choice for hunting, (when I still hunted) Ruger No. 1 single shot in .220 Swift, .270 Win. and I carried Thompson Center Contenders with Super 14 barrels in a cross draw holster. I had those in .357 Herret, .30-.30, and .223. all with Burris LER scopes.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
lever and wheel.jpg

jeep at claim 1 crop.jpg

I'm a lever-action and wheel-gun girl - I like the romance of both, and the simplicity of a revolver. Ruger LCR and GP-100 (6"), and Marlin .22. And 2015 JK with almost all the bells and whistles, in a color I don't like nearly as much as other people seem to. The leatherwork is mine - I build saddles.

View attachment 8868
View attachment 8869

I'm a lever-action and wheel-gun girl - I like the romance of both, and the simplicity of a revolver. Ruger LCR and GP-100 (6"), and Marlin .22. And 2015 JK with almost all the bells and whistles, in a color I don't like nearly as much as other people seem to. The leatherwork is mine - I build saddles.

Extremely impressive to say the least! Those are some beautiful guns, but also some beautiful leatherwork!

Reactions: homerjaguar
Extremely impressive to say the least! Those are some beautiful guns, but also some beautiful leatherwork!
Thank you! I am proud of the gunbelt, but also pretty pleased with the simplicity and function of the simple holster for carrying the big revolver out prospecting. I don't hunt (that's my husband's hobby), but I like to be armed for self-defense out in the woods.

I have a LCR myself. Great lightweight carry gun. Slips into a pocket and you barely know its there. Nice leather work, too.

When my father in law past away last year in the back of his closet I found this Winchester still loaded. Model 94 32 ws. I have not shot it but it's pretty cool. I'm wanting a .22 lever action for squirrel hunting now. Like the Henry's.
d867c42fa342c7b0c69cb59b6890ccad.jpg
778a9742687bf5fbcfc4094d8e3aaa1b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rob5589 and Chris
When my father in law past away last year in the back of his closet I found this Winchester still loaded. Model 94 32 ws. I have not shot it but it's pretty cool. I'm wanting a .22 lever action for squirrel hunting now. Like the Henry's.
View attachment 8884View attachment 8885

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorgeous looking rifle!

I have a LCR myself. Great lightweight carry gun. Slips into a pocket and you barely know its there. Nice leather work, too.
Did you notice the small black clip behind the cylinder? It's hard to see because of the size and the lighting in the photo, but it hooks over my belt so I can carry the gun inside my waistband, tucked in front of my hipbone, safe, never moves, doesn't print, and so comfortable I forget it's there. Much smaller profile than an IWB holster.

Chris, note in the rifle photos the differences in the stocks. I've owned the Winchester 94 and Marlin 30-30. The grip is a primary factor for consideration. The Win. has a straight stock and the Marlin has a pistol grip stock. There are vast differences in comfort when firing IMHO. It is nice to have a choice. Try both before you buy.

Chris, note in the rifle photos the differences in the stocks. I've owned the Winchester 94 and Marlin 30-30. The grip is a primary factor for consideration. The Win. has a straight stock and the Marlin has a pistol grip stock. There are vast differences in comfort when firing IMHO. It is nice to have a choice. Try both before you buy.

I'll definitely be sure to try both before I buy! Thanks for pointing that out.

I've never owned or fired a lever action rifle, but I have to admit, they appeal to me. It's probably all the western movies I've seen that makes me want one.

However, the more I read about them, the more it sounds like they aren't much good (as far as rifles go). It seems a bolt action is better in every possible way, which makes me think that the only purpose a lever action rifle has, is satisfying nostalgia.

Does anyone own a lever action rifle? Are they as poorly inaccurate (at long distances) as I read? Is there a certain model that stands out among others?

What kind of round are you using and are the rounds any different than a traditional bolt action rifle round?

I own a ton of rifles and my lever actions are some of my favorites. I have a Marlin 30-30 and a Marlin CB 45-70

IMG_3428.JPG

IMG_3429.JPG

Reactions: OldYeller and Chris
I just didn't think you could legally own a gun in Canada. That wasn't meant as an insult (which it sounds like you've taken it as), it was meant as an honest question.

Do I need to hunt to own a gun, is that a requirement?

Actually more Canadians (per capita) hunt than US Citizens. Firearms are legal in Canada but more regulated than the US. Canadians just use their firearms on each other far less than we do.

If you're not a hunter, owning a firearm is absolutely unnecessary in a Jeep in the wilderness. Maybe west Oakland but not in the outback. That said I always have a rifle with me. I use a (replica) pattern 1800 infantry rifle more commonly called a Baker Rifle. It's a single shot flintlock rifle. It's quite accurate out to about 300 yards. It is kind of fussy to shoot so if you can make it go off reliably you have a real skill. It does not usually scare persons who are nervous around gun. I have in fact taught persons to shoot with a flintlock who considered themselves extreme anti-gun persons. Ammo is cheap. It uses iron sites so if you practice enough to be proficient, you have a skill. If, god forbid, you actually need a weapon a .600 caliber ball does quite a bit of damage.

Down side, it sucks to clean and you HAVE to clean it after even a single shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris and StG58