Lift and tire recommendations for ‘97 TJ 4 cylinder?

I'm currently running 31's with stock suspension and I can't really complain about the speed/performance. It had 31's (stock gearing) when I bought it though, so I don't have a frame of reference with smaller tires. Perfectly fine for driving around town. It isn't my DD, and the most I've ever driven it in a clip is about 4 hours away, but you are limited with how fast you are going to be able to go on the highway depending on grade. For relatively flat areas I can coast in 5th at 65-75mph (anything more than that is a terrifying experience), and max around 85mph. Probably could be considerably improved with a re-gear, as 5th is a bit weak sometimes.

It's not supposed to be a speed demon though, and there is plenty of power on the low end.
Thanks for the response. I never exceed 65 and drive max 2 hours. I should be ok. I’m a tool with the auto trans though so that’s another part of it.

Thanks for the response. I never exceed 65 and drive max 2 hours. I should be ok. I’m a tool with the auto trans though so that’s another part of it.
From what I've heard, auto vs. manual is a huge difference in performance so be careful.

From what I've heard, auto vs. manual is a huge difference in performance so be careful.
It’s a huge difference. The core of my question is how terrible is the auto with 31’s. My Jeep with auto and 28’s is a slow dog. Not sure how much worse it can get. It seems like it’s doable just have to have realistic performance expectations.

Since your sig and name say you have a '97, that means your engine is the 2.5L, not the vastly different 2.4L that came in newer TJs. The biggest tire I'd recommend for the 2.5L TJ is a 33x12.50 but that means you would need to regear your axles to 4.88 or 5.13, with the 5.13 being more desirable. A 3" suspension lift plus a 1" body lift is a good recommended combination. Zone makes a good 4" combination lift kit that includes that 3" suspension lift plus a 1" body lift, with pretty much everything else that is needed too.

I wouldn't go larger than a 30" tire without regearing your axles, which is about a $1500-1600 upgrade. Well worth it but still not cheap.

The only way to create more power without regearing is to go to a smaller tire size. Nope, engine add-ons like throttle body spacers and similar malarkey don't help. Not in the least. :)
Totally agree. PO had 255/70R18s (basically 32"s) on it...what a dog, especially on hills. Considered a re-gear to a 4.56 as I'm mostly street & light trail... & don't want elevated RPMs with a 4.88 on the highway for my tire range; 3 quotes put me between $2.2 - 2.4K in NV & SoCal...not happening! Decided on a set of BFG 30" 9.5 15R A/T. Performance is near stock with the speedometer on or nearly on. Best compromise for the noted use.

Since your sig and name say you have a '97, that means your engine is the 2.5L, not the vastly different 2.4L that came in newer TJs. The biggest tire I'd recommend for the 2.5L TJ is a 33x12.50 but that means you would need to regear your axles to 4.88 or 5.13, with the 5.13 being more desirable. A 3" suspension lift plus a 1" body lift is a good recommended combination. Zone makes a good 4" combination lift kit that includes that 3" suspension lift plus a 1" body lift, with pretty much everything else that is needed too.

I wouldn't go larger than a 30" tire without regearing your axles, which is about a $1500-1600 upgrade. Well worth it but still not cheap.

The only way to create more power without regearing is to go to a smaller tire size. Nope, engine add-ons like throttle body spacers and similar malarkey don't help. Not in the least. :)

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I hav
Totally agree. PO had 255/70R18s (basically 32"s) on it...what a dog, especially on hills. Considered a re-gear to a 4.56 as I'm mostly street & light trail... & don't want elevated RPMs with a 4.88 on the highway for my tire range; 3 quotes put me between $2.2 - 2.4K in NV & SoCal...not happening! Decided on a set of BFG 30" 9.5 15R A/T. Performance is near stock with the speedometer on or nearly on. Best compromise for the noted use.
I have 31’s on my 98’ 2.5L. I can reach 70 mph on flats and max out at 45mph up hills. This is with stock gears. Power sucked before new wheels, it still sucks after. People are more scared of a mythical power loss than what actually happens. It’s slow stock, it’s still slow with 31’s. You can absolutely drive it with 31’s and stock gears though.