Brag508

Hey guys, first time post.. I've recently noticed my rear shocks are toast. Looked at getting 4 new nitro shocks, which are expensive so I started looking at lift kits. Kill two birds with one stone, right? Now my question is: whether or not I go with a 2" or 3.25" lift, will this require me to do any engine tuning? I've heard purchasing giant tires requires you to change the gear ratio.. Does the same occur when lifting? Thanks in advance for any responses.. Any and all thoughts are welcomed

Larger tires require a gear change for sure. What do you drive and transmission type? Build it for your intended purpose. How big do you want to go with tires will determine lift height.

Welcome

Reactions: Brag508
Lift height has nothing to do with when you need to regear, that is solely dependent on the tire diameter you install. The bigger the tires installed, the more you'll need to regear the axles.

Reactions: Brag508 and Chris
First things first:

1) What engine do you have, the 6 cylinder or the 4 cylinder?
2) What size tires do you want to run?
3) What is your goal with the Jeep? Mostly just on-road driving, or do you want to do serious off-roading?
4) What's your total budget for this?

Thanks a lot guys! Norwood, that thread is exactly what I was looking for! Also great job by Chris for putting it together in a simple way! I just breezed through it, but I'm sure it'll be something I refer back to from time to time.. Chris, I have a straight 6 with 265/75R15's. My goal is mainly on road with weekend excursions.

I've had the jeep for about 3 years now and have yet to really customize it. About a year into owning it, I went to my mechanic for a new muffler, turned out the frame was rotted out on both sides of the rear (right above/in front of the rear tires). Luckily I have a friend who works at a metal fab shop in town and I was able to find a local company that makes replacement frame kits. I also had to replace the tranny last year, but other than that it's been minor maintenance. I'm thinking of a 2" lift, just because I want it to look a little meaner than stock and I don't see myself crawling anytime soon. There's a few rot spots in my lower body which I'll need to correct before taking it off road anyway.

I've heard nitrogen shocks are the way to go.. So after seeing the price of them, I said damn! Might as well check the price of a lift while I'm at it. I just got $150 in gift cards to Amazon for Christmas, so I'm hoping to fork up another $100-150. Budget is kinda tight

Reactions: Chris
Yes, I would go with nitrogen shocks. Bilstein 5100s, Ranchos and OME Nitrochargers seem to be the most popular shock choices, and you can't go wrong with any of those. You'll probably end up spending around $300+ on shocks.

A 2" lift is a great choice that won't require a ton of money or other things (i.e. control arms, track bars, SYE, etc.).

Reactions: StG58
So I found some Bilstein 5100's on amazon that'll fit my '98 TJ.. They also say 0-2" lift, so I'm thinking about getting these now because I need them and that'll leave me with the option to lift down the road. Like Norwood said, I've been doing research on lift kits and even with the 2" lift, along with you, they say 32-33" tires will be needed to look good. I just bought four new 30.5"s from Firestone, so dishing out another $5-600 on rubber isn't feasible.

How stupid would a 2" lift look with 30's? Because at stock height 30's look great!

Last edited:
So I found some Bilstein 5100's on amazon that'll fit my '98 TJ.. They also say 0-2" lift, so I'm thinking about getting these now because I need them and that'll leave me with the option to lift down the road. Like Norwood said, I've been doing research on lift kits and even with the 2" lift, along with you, they say 32-33" tires will be needed to look good. I just bought four new 30.5"s from Firestone, so dishing out another $5-600 on rubber isn't feasible.

How stupid would a 2" lift look with 30's? Because at stock height 30's look great!

It wouldn't look too bad. There's a place called highland motors near Chicago. A lot of the jeeps they sell have 2" of lift and 31's which look really good. I'll post a picture for you later in the day when I get home so you can get a visual.

Reactions: Brag508 and Chris
1311_2.jpe

Here's a 1" lift and 31s

Ahhh, that's probably where I should have stayed. 2" lift and 31" tires... Here I am $10,000 plus later.

If I ever lift mine, 2" is all that I will do. I personally like the stock look of my 02' sport with rubicon wheels and 245/75/16 tires. But 2" of lift just gives it that extra aggressive look without making it a pain in the ass to get into. I'm 5'7" and my wife is 5'1". That last thing I want to do is make it a pain for her or our 3 girls to use.

View attachment 8765
1-1/4" front lift, 1-1/2" rear lift with 31x10.50 tires. H&R sport springs and Bilstein 0-2" shocks.
Same color as mine! Love the look of this! Thanks Upper- that's what I feared.. 2" with 30's has too much of a gap. I'm glad the Bilstein 5100's are 0-2" lift.. As I said, I just bought 4 new tires so once they wear down I'll look into upgrading. Baby steps lol thanks a lot guys! Huge help!!

Reactions: StG58
Same color as mine! Love the look of this! Thanks Upper- that's what I feared.. 2" with 30's has too much of a gap. I'm glad the Bilstein 5100's are 0-2" lift.. As I said, I just bought 4 new tires so once they wear down I'll look into upgrading. Baby steps lol thanks a lot guys! Huge help!!
Would the place you got the tires from give you most of the $$ back toward a set of the same tire in 31" size ? You could even offer to buy 5 to include the spare.

Doesn't hurt to ask...

Ahhh, that's probably where I should have stayed. 2" lift and 31" tires... Here I am $10,000 plus later.
No kidding. Makes me appreciate the 2-2.5" OME & 32" tires I decided on! I have to say that I had a dark blue '97 TJ Sport with OME lift and 31" tires some years ago; the photo above could be the Jeep I had. Loved the look and the way it drove/handled.

Reactions: UpperMI