Lift Geometry: Rear Spring Axis vs Rear Shock Axis

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
Overthinking the basics of lift geometry:

1) Given the difference between rear shock axis and rear spring axis, is there any notable difference between how much of lift one gets along the shock axis for a given amount of lift along the spring axis?

2) Forgetting shocks for a moment: given the angle of the rear shock axis (vs vertical), how much vertical lift does a TJ get for every inch of lift of lift along the spring axis?

I can go measure the angles and figure out a theoretical answer, but I bet someone already knows the answer from experience. @mrblaine, perhaps?

There is a decrease in the rate of lift height the closer the arms approach perpendicularity to the frame. There would also be a related decrease in the rate of vertical spring lift as the springs are pulled away from vertical by the control arms.

This feels like a calculus problem more than geometry.

This also feels like an argument for a long arm kit! 😉

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: psrivats

1) Given the difference between rear shock axis and rear spring axis, is there any notable difference between how much of lift one gets along the shock axis for a given amount of lift along the spring axis?

2) Forgetting shocks for a moment: given the angle of the rear shock axis (vs vertical), how much vertical lift does a TJ get for every inch of lift of lift along the spring axis?

I can go measure the angles and figure out a theoretical answer, but I bet someone already knows the answer from experience. @mrblaine, perhaps?

What are you trying to figure out in the hardest way possible?

There is a decrease in the rate of lift height the closer the arms approach perpendicularity to the frame. There would also be a related decrease in the rate of vertical spring lift as the springs are pulled away from vertical by the control arms.

This feels like a calculus problem more than geometry.

This also feels like an argument for a long arm kit! 😉

And tuned springs!

Reactions: jjvw

It's not perfectly 1:1 or linear, but it's close enough within small distances, like you're probably going to expost about 3/4" more shaft if you install a 3/4" spring spacer. I would not suggest that 4" of lift can go with 4" longer shock or that a 4" longer shock calls for a 4" bump stop extension.

The coil sits on the axle so close enough to consider it the same. If we had big long travel suspension with a coilover attached at some point along the length of the radius arm, then that would be different.

Reactions: SSTJ