Lift it or leave it stock?

So I am in the wait process to get my Sahara back from TrailQuest. They are installing Saf-T-Caps on a lot of the frame. Anywho, my question is do I lift or leave stock? The sahara is all original minus rear bumper that is pretty close to stock. 97 Sahara, 96K original miles. I even have the window sticker from the dealership. Part of me wants to lift and modify. Part wants to leave stock and original as it is 21 years young. and a small part wants to modify just the bumpers....Throwing this one to the masses to see what others would do?
Lift it. Use a good lift with adjustable control arms

2" lift, 32" tires, bumpers. Other than the bumpers, you'd have to look pretty close to tell it's not stock. Perfect height and tire size for me.
Before bumpers:
img_0806-jpg.jpg

After bumpers:
img_0875-jpg.jpg

img_0871-jpg.jpg

So I am leaning towards stock. After the 3281 for the frame and such fix. I will replace the front axle u joints, valve cover gasket, and a rear diff service. After all this is done I will essentially have a brand new jeep. I plan on replacing the components that go bad and keep this going. 31' tires once these are bad. I appreciate everyones thoughts and I may still upgrade the Sahara.

I put a 2.5" lift with 31" tires and it is perfect. I have the 2.5L engine but it does not have a problem pushing the 31s. It's the perfect lift so I didn't need to replace steering and everything but it also is tall enough where it doesn't look stock and it can perform off-road very well. It surprises me time and time again on the trails. I have buddies who have JK Rubicon's on 35s and I can do everything they can and in a few scenarios I can do more.
For a while I had stock suspension on 31s and it was just fine, I just didn't like how I had to still look up to a bunch of SUVs on the road haha
I put a 2.5" RC lift, very easy to install and performs very well off-road. I spent $250 on the lift and installed it in my garage over about a day, someone who has experience could do it faster, but it didn't cost me anything to install it which was nice. Besides the wrenches and jack stands, the only special tool I needed was a coil compressor, so we went to Advance Auto and rented it for about $5.
You could leave your stock rims, but you might want wheel spacers in near future. I got 16" pro comp wheels that have 4.5" backspacing and I don't rub at all when turning. They were fairly cheap, about $100 a piece, and they make the jeep look so much better.
The only thing that I would do differently if I were doing it again is to not go cheap on the lift. Although it performs amazing off-road, it is still my daily and I don't wheel it that often. I went with a cheap lift and I got cheap ride quality, it's very bouncy on the road and pretty uncomfortable ride

Last edited:
Reactions: H_E_H and KCsTJ
I put a 2.5" lift with 31" tires and it is perfect. I have the 2.5L engine but it does not have a problem pushing the 31s. It's the perfect lift so I didn't need to replace steering and everything but it also is tall enough where it doesn't look stock and it can perform off-road very well. It surprises me time and time again on the trails. I have buddies who have JK Rubicon's on 35s and I can do everything they can and in a few scenarios I can do more.
I put a 2.5" RC lift, very easy to install and performs very well off-road. I spent $250 on the lift and installed it in my garage over about a day, someone who has experience could do it faster, but it didn't cost me anything to install it which was nice. Besides the wrenches and jack stands, the only special tool I needed was a coil compressor, so we went to Advance Auto and rented it for about $5.
You could leave your stock rims, but you might want wheel spacers in near future. I got 16" pro comp wheels that have 4.5" backspacing and I don't rub at all when turning. They were fairly cheap, about $100 a piece, and they make the jeep look so much better.
The only thing that I would do differently if I were doing it again is to not go cheap on the lift. Although it performs amazing off-road, it is still my daily and I don't wheel it that often. I went with a cheap lift and I got cheap ride quality, it's very bouncy on the road and pretty uncomfortable ride
Please post some photos!

I don't know where you are money-wise now that you've spent on lift, tires, and wheels, but if you invest in a set of Rancho RS5000X shocks, it will transform the ride on your TJ. RC shocks are pretty much bottom tier...

Reactions: KCsTJ
Please post some photos!

I don't know where you are money-wise now that you've spent on lift, tires, and wheels, but if you invest in a set of Rancho RS5000X shocks, it will transform the ride on your TJ. RC shocks are pretty much bottom tier...

Good to know, thanks. I bought my Jeep the end of my junior year in high school and I just started my freshman year in college. I had a job all through high school and was able to buy new things all the time but I'm now a poor college student.
I Knew RC wasn't an amazing brand but I really just wanted to get it lifted so I'd be able to go wheeling with friends.

upload_2018-9-8_10-46-39.png

Last edited:
I've also been wondering whether to modify my Rubicon or keep it stock. Maybe I am modifying it to some degree, if bed liner in the tub and on the bumpers is considered modified.

As for the 1" body lift, I'm not sure it's needed to clear the 31x10.50x15s, I have no lift and am running Goodyear Duratrac
LT235/85 R16. That's roughly 9.3x 31.7x16 so they're somewhat narrower but slightly taller and I've had no problems with the body. I know they will rub the suspension when turning as sharp as possible but I'm sure it's because I went back to the stock wheels.
Looks great!

Add 31s and don’t lift then. If you add a 2” lift and put 31s on it will look very goofy. Mounted those 31s are only going to measure 30”-30.5”. Just leave it stock if that’s what you really like.

I run 31.5s on the 2.5 lift with flat fenders and I think it looks great. I don’t know though everyone’s different so it’s hard to say what looks good to certain people:).
28af91740ceade9946ff969986773156.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know, thanks. I bought my Jeep the end of my junior year in high school and I just started my freshman year in college. I had a job all through high school and was able to buy new things all the time but I'm now a poor college student.
I Knew RC wasn't an amazing brand but I really just wanted to get it lifted so I'd be able to go wheeling with friends.

Pretty much the exact same how it was for me. Just started college and I’m glad I went to the rancho lift right before I started because I’m even more broke here in school now. But I started with even just the spacer lift with RC shock to get out with some clearance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I vote small lift with 31" tires. My TJ rides and drives better after I installed the OMEHD 2.5" lift. I don't think it looks goofy, but I do have a little rake after installing the winch. I'm going to see what it looks like after it settles and I install the hardtop again this fall.

Stock height with 30" Falken
stock.jpg

OMEHD lift with 31" KM3
lift2.jpg

Man that pinstripe really threw me for a loop for a second. I don't think i've ever seen anything like that before on a TJ.

I am actually thinking about a 1" body lift to clear 31's and leaving it. I love 31's and want to retain as much stock as I can. Just fishing to see what others would do. and or there recommendations on body lifts?
just put a 2''spring puck lift on it.it will settle some and the ride will be more comfy too its a cheap economy lift

Depends on how much money you want to invest in a 21 year old vehicle and will you get your investment back if you decide to sell it.
Currently I am "investing" 3281 in the frame. And then I am going to sink about 200 in parts to get her back on the road. Age of a vehicle is trivial to a die hard. Not to sound like an A-hole but my wife was pissed when I dropped 7K on a 60 year old vehicle. "its 60 years old..." I don't care about age. I feel a 48 Willys in original condition is well worth 7K. I feel my 97 Sahara in Mint condition minus the frame is worth it.

I think you should lift it. Personally I think a lift adds a lot more aggressive stance to the Jeep. One of the main reasons I bought a TJ is the modding. I just find it so awesome that no two TJ’s are the same and I can build my Jeep exactly to my style and preference instead of driving a cookie cutter car like most

Reactions: Nicholas