Lift kit research for my LJ

LJdcf7

My 2005 LJ is stock except for my 33" tires, and the time has come to look at possibilities for the lift kit.
I've seen people get kits ready to go and I've seen people pick each part in the kit. Which do you guys recommend and what are some good manufacturers. If you do pick each part, a list of things needed for a proper lift kit would be helpful.

Thanks!

As far as off-the-shelf lift kits, the general consensus seems to be that Currie, Savvy, OME, and Metalcloak are going to be the best off-the-shelf kits. That's not to say that there aren't other brands out there that don't make a good lift (i.e. Clayton, Rokmen, etc), but I'm just going in terms of the most popular ones.

Those ones are also going to be the most expensive, but trust me when I say you get what you pay for in this game.

You'll ideally want 3-4" of lift to fit 33" tires with stock fenders. You can go about that in a number of ways such as:
  • 2.5" suspension lift and 1.25" body lift
  • 4" suspension lift
  • 2" lift and tube fenders (i.e. Metacloak)
Either of those options will fit 33" tires easily, they'll all just have different approaches. The cheapest approach is going to be going with an OME 2.5" lift (a tremendously popular lift) and pairing it with a 1.25" body lift. You'll get 3.75" out of that, you'll be able to keep the stock control arms, and with your LJ, you won't need a SYE or DV driveshaft, so you could do the entire lift for about $1000 give or take.

The more expensive option would be the 4" suspension lift. You'll need new control arms and more than likely a CV driveshaft and SYE.

Reactions: skrelnik
I put a DPG Ultimate kit on my 2005 LJ. I love it!!! Mainly OME and JKS parts. I did not use the body lift or motor mount lift though, which you will need for 33's. I intended to go to 33's but decided to go with 32's.

I started with a fab-tech and have switched out every thing to the currie 4" and very happy with it. You don't need to do the MML or BL to fit the 33's but you will want to look into a slip yoke eliminator and probably need to change out your drive shaft too. Once you start it just keeps going. Then there are the gears.....
I really like Chris's suggestion on the 21/2 and a BL. this would save a lot of $$

I started with a fab-tech and have switched out every thing to the currie 4" and very happy with it. You don't need to do the MML or BL to fit the 33's but you will want to look into a slip yoke eliminator and probably need to change out your drive shaft too. Once you start it just keeps going. Then there are the gears.....
I really like Chris's suggestion on the 21/2 and a BL. this would save a lot of $$

Interesting, as I was told that in order to fit 33"s on an LJ that a BL and MML were highly recommended, and that there was no need whatsoever for a SYE or driveshaft swap.

Interesting, as I was told that in order to fit 33"s on an LJ that a BL and MML were highly recommended, and that there was no need whatsoever for a SYE or driveshaft swap.
Welcome to the jeep world, I spent the first several months going in Circles until I found this forum. My best advice is just really take your time do some research and ask questions of the folks on this forum. I have found a” local expert” under every rock, but the information on here has been very consistent.

Reactions: DETOUR and LJdcf7
Welcome to the jeep world, I spent the first several months going in Circles until I found this forum. My best advice is just really take your time do some research and ask questions of the folks on this forum. I have found a” local expert” under every rock, but the information on here has been very consistent.
I appreciate the advice! Consistency is what I want.

My first lifts were based on OME and pieced together. Over the years, I have mostly replaced everything with Savvy and Currie. If I were to start from scratch, I would begin with one of the Savvy kits.

Reactions: LJdcf7
As far as off-the-shelf lift kits, the general consensus seems to be that Currie, Savvy, OME, and Metalcloak are going to be the best off-the-shelf kits. That's not to say that there aren't other brands out there that don't make a good lift (i.e. Clayton, Rokmen, etc), but I'm just going in terms of the most popular ones.

Those ones are also going to be the most expensive, but trust me when I say you get what you pay for in this game.

You'll ideally want 3-4" of lift to fit 33" tires with stock fenders. You can go about that in a number of ways such as:
  • 2.5" suspension lift and 1.25" body lift
  • 4" suspension lift
  • 2" lift and tube fenders (i.e. Metacloak)
Either of those options will fit 33" tires easily, they'll all just have different approaches. The cheapest approach is going to be going with an OME 2.5" lift (a tremendously popular lift) and pairing it with a 1.25" body lift. You'll get 3.75" out of that, you'll be able to keep the stock control arms, and with your LJ, you won't need a SYE or DV driveshaft, so you could do the entire lift for about $1000 give or take.

The more expensive option would be the 4" suspension lift. You'll need new control arms and more than likely a CV driveshaft and SYE.
The Old Man Emu Ultimate TJ/LJ Wrangler Kit looks very promising. Its a 2.5" suspension lift and comes with 1.25" body lift. I'm gonna do more research into it. Thanks

Reactions: JMT
The Old Man Emu Ultimate TJ/LJ Wrangler Kit looks very promising. Its a 2.5" suspension lift and comes with 1.25" body lift. I'm gonna do more research into it. Thanks

No problem at all! OME makes a good lift kit, no doubt about that!

This is the same kit I do have on my LJ, I do spoke with Dirk on DPG Off-Road His knowledge is vast on this OME suspension and recomend you to pay a call to him if interested on this kit. The Kit is blended with JKS products that is another proven leader brand. I have 0 (Zero) complaints about it. Perform well On and OFF Road. One stop solution for intended use you describe above.

All depends on how much of suspension lift.

You are absolutely correct, as a 10" lift to fit 33"s would require a host of modifications. That is an extreme example but I agree with your general statement.

The OP stated he currently has 33" inch tires on a stock LJ and is looking for recommendations for a proper lift, either a kit, or to buy individual pieces. My recommendation was to grab the DPG Ultimate kit and I think you were recommending your Currie 4" with SYE and upgraded driveshaft. Totally cool and a different approach as Chris greatly detailed in his post.

DPG Ultimate includes a BL and MML, and does not require a SYE nor an upgraded driveshaft. The Currie 4" is a suspension only lift, and your LJ required a SYE and upgraded driveshaft in order to get rid of vibes. The general consensus was anything over a 4.5" lift for an LJ may need the SYE and upgraded driveshaft .

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/the-official-sye-slip-yoke-eliminator-thread.100/

I scored this same kit from Dirk at DPG. Spoke to him in great length after researching forums for many months, and also speaking to local jeepers. This is the simplest kit for a rookie to install, it is plug and play. There are some great videos out there that helped me out big time. If you get a lift and you want links reply back.

For my next lift, if I ever do one, I now feel comfortable enough to go a la carte and pick out pieces.

I went with the Currie 4" lift am running 33" tires on my LJ, also have the rancho 9000 adjustable shocks. I did do the slip yoke eliminator and drive shaft to take any vibration issues away. Am taking it to Colorado tomorrow for the summer, good test for all this new equipment.

You are absolutely correct, as a 10" lift to fit 33"s would require a host of modifications. That is an extreme example but I agree with your general statement.

The OP stated he currently has 33" inch tires on a stock LJ and is looking for recommendations for a proper lift, either a kit, or to buy individual pieces. My recommendation was to grab the DPG Ultimate kit and I think you were recommending your Currie 4" with SYE and upgraded driveshaft. Totally cool and a different approach as Chris greatly detailed in his post.

DPG Ultimate includes a BL and MML, and does not require a SYE nor an upgraded driveshaft. The Currie 4" is a suspension only lift, and your LJ required a SYE and upgraded driveshaft in order to get rid of vibes. The general consensus was anything over a 4.5" lift for an LJ may need the SYE and upgraded driveshaft .

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/the-official-sye-slip-yoke-eliminator-thread.100/

I scored this same kit from Dirk at DPG. Spoke to him in great length after researching forums for many months, and also speaking to local jeepers. This is the simplest kit for a rookie to install, it is plug and play. There are some great videos out there that helped me out big time. If you get a lift and you want links reply back.

For my next lift, if I ever do one, I now feel comfortable enough to go a la carte and pick out pieces.
I'm definitely interested in those links good sir.

I'm definitely interested in those links good sir.

This is a link to a TJ owners playlist. Within the project 2004 TJ playlist you will find videos to install the track bar, anti-swaybar links, body lift, motor mount lift, bump stops. He used a DPG kit as well.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKivmulOhtZjqNvMgWkCeWh6zltOjPrPI

These are two other links to TJ videos that really helped me out and get comfortable doing the lift. Search these two guys videos fpr specific parts install videos. I installed the lift, that was the most difficult automobile project I had accomplished. This forum and these videos really helped out.

https://m.youtube.com/user/MrPowerAddicts/search?query=TJ