Lift / Shock Question

@JMT , the pics, one looks like it might have stock control arms? At least looks like maybe the upper? If that is the case, either you had a 4" lift that drove poorly would be my guess, or a 2.5" that's measuring 4 after the wreck. Either way, @MadSwagger you should, if you're looking at all this now, inventory the way it's set up now. TC if it has an SYE, control arms if they are adjustable etc. before buying anything .

I forgot he posted that one pic. Upper and lower Control Arms are stock. Sway bar link is stock. Would like to see the rear driveshaft, rear control arms, and transfer case skid.

Hi all. Need some help from you experts. I've owned my 2005 TJ for 10 years, but I was in a front end accident and need to replace front control arms, lower front control arm mounts, shocks, and likely springs. My question for you is this: How do I figure out my current lift - I want to keep it the same as I have now. I've read the other posts on this forum and they have been helpful, but I am still unsure as to what is on the TJ now.

Some basic facts:
  1. Rough Country Performance 2.2 shocks
  2. BF Goodrich 33x12.5x15
  3. Before removing the fenders/hood/tires and while the jeep was sitting in the garage, I measured the springs (not sure I did it right) and they seem to be 14 inches long (and have what looks like "puck spacers" at the top that seem to be about 1 inch thick.
So, I have 3 questions:
  1. Do you think I have a 3.5 inch lift give or take (2.5 inch lift plus 1 inch puck spacers)? I've attached pics of the TJ, the shocks and the springs if that helps. Based on what I have read on this site, that it my guess, but I am happy to be corrected.
  2. What size/brand springs do you recommend?
  3. What brand model shocks do you recommend? This is basically a road jeep (some dirt roads, but it's my daily driver).
Thanks in advance for any help and direction.

View attachment 537523View attachment 537524View attachment 537526View attachment 537527

@MadSwagger Hate to do this, but yeah, there are some things in these pics that would make me think more than just replacements.

A few things you now see:

1. It looks like your TJ has springs that are sitting it at 4" of lift. Based on your measurements.
2. You thought it was at 2.5".
3. Looking, if I see here, that your TJ has stock front control arms. If it was sitting at 4" of lift, and it had these control arms as stock, man seems like the Caster would be seriously low. As it lifts, the arms pull the axle back to center of Jeep some, and it twists and the pinion comes up. That causes the Caster to be really low, and to me, I would think the TJ wheel wouldn't return to center when you turn. It would drift when you change lanes and be a non stop work to keep in your lane. That is what it would seem to be, unless smarter folks here think differently.
4. In the rear, if you are at 4" lift, would vibrate I would think, if you don't have an SYE and Double Cardan Drive Shaft and Adjustable control arms....or a serious Transfer Case drop and possibly a Motor Mount Lift to create a drive angle that wouldn't vibrate.
5. So just replacing, I look and see either go with 2.5" if you're going to stick with the stock arms etc. If you're going to replace and stay at the 4", I would start planning for dealing with what I listed.

TJ is a rabbit hole when you lift them, to make them run clean. One thing connects to the other, ha.

Sorry, lot of stuff to research here. Certainly this forum has the details.

Thanks everyone. I took more pics:

• Front upper control arms - passenger and driver's side (I already removed the front lower control arms - they appear to be stock - and the front springs)
  • Front "parts" - tie rod, drag link, track bar, sway bar links, etc.
  • Rear driver's side control arm and spring/shock
As I mentioned above, I am removing the front axle because the lower control arm mounts are bent and the axle was off center. Originally I was just going to remove the mounts and install/weld new ones on and then put it back together, but I thought now would be a good time to update the suspension - don't want to change the lift - just replace the old worn-out components with new/better ones.

The Jeep drove well as far as I can tell. Looking at the other threads in this Forum and reading your responses above, it seems that the "components" are essentially stock with a 2.5" lift, but the measurements I took seem to indicate a larger (4" lift). I just don't want to screw this up - maybe the photos will tell a more clear story.

Thanks again to all for the advice!
DS Upper control arm.JPG
PS upper control arm.JPG
Front parts passenger side.JPG
Front parts.JPG
Rear control arm.JPG
Rear.JPG

Been researching this like hell today. Based on my original measurements of the springs before I took off the front axle, it seems I have a 4" lift. When I compare side-by-side images of my TJ with other TJs with 33" tires, again it seems I have a 4" lift. BUT, as you guys have pointed out based on the above pictures, it seems my control arms, sway bar, etc. are stock, which seems to indicate I have only a 2.5" lift - because, if I understand you guys correctly, the Jeep would not operate properly with a 4" lift and "stock" parts. My head is spinning on this one because I've been driving this thing since 2013 and it has always run well (IMO). Is it possible for the Jeep to ride well with a 4" lift and stock control arms, etc.? Thanks again for any input.

Been researching this like hell today. Based on my original measurements of the springs before I took off the front axle, it seems I have a 4" lift. When I compare side-by-side images of my TJ with other TJs with 33" tires, again it seems I have a 4" lift. BUT, as you guys have pointed out based on the above pictures, it seems my control arms, sway bar, etc. are stock, which seems to indicate I have only a 2.5" lift - because, if I understand you guys correctly, the Jeep would not operate properly with a 4" lift and "stock" parts. My head is spinning on this one because I've been driving this thing since 2013 and it has always run well (IMO). Is it possible for the Jeep to ride well with a 4" lift and stock control arms, etc.? Thanks again for any input.

I would love for smarter folks to chime in, ha. I drove a CJ5 with 4” lift for almost 6 years going into and during college. 4” lift and probably had a 1 Caster now that I know, ha. Drove all over, it never once bothered me. I also when a week with no brakes, downshifting emergency, I was a crazy person. So you may just drive and it keep it straight ha.