Lights indicator on dash stays on

DHunt

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The lights indicator on the dash seems to be staying on all the time. I think the lights switch in the turn signal stick is at fault. Playing around with the lights on/lights off position, I can get the indicator on the dash to go off, but it won't stay off. Anyone seen anything like this?

On my 2000 the right turn signal light comes on, a jiggle of the handle will turn it off.
Some times I have to jiggle the handle to make it flash when turning.
Definitely the switch. Someday I will replace it, when a jiggle no longer resolves the problem.
Don

Edit: I think I like the word jiggle, triggers pleasant visual memories:)

Are you talking about the blue high beam light indictor?
It's the green low beam indicator. I'd replace it, I'm just wondering if anyone has tried that. Sometimes these things are a can of worms, and best left unfixed. Getting power when you shouldn't doesn't seem like a good thing. Electrical wise.

Reactions: Chris
It's the green low beam indicator. I'd replace it, I'm just wondering if anyone has tried that. Sometimes these things are a can of worms, and best left unfixed. Getting power when you shouldn't doesn't seem like a good thing. Electrical wise.

I'm not 100% certain (have to go look tomorrow) mine has this light. It has a green light icon when the fog lights are on. Perhaps this is what you're talking about?

Reactions: TJ Jim
Probably fog light indicator. I had the same problem on my 2001, pulled the fog light fuse under the hood until I get around to replacing the headlight / turn signal switch

Reviving a very old thread — anyone ever figure out what this was? I just replaced my turn signal stalk and the Green light (top left most light on dash) is still on. Threw out 70bucks for a new stalk for nothing. but hey! preventative right?

Reviving a very old thread — anyone ever figure out what this was? I just replaced my turn signal stalk and the Green light (top left most light on dash) is still on. Threw out 70bucks for a new stalk for nothing. but hey! preventative right?
You have a short in your fog light wire

Thanks, I just pulled the foglight fuse and the relay to see if the light goes off — nothing! its still on. Assuming that if I pulled those, the connection breaks?
If you changed the multi function switch and pulled all the power it should go out,but something could still be wired aftermarket into that factory circuit.if your not running fogs you could just take the dash out and remove the bulb.

If you changed the multi function switch and pulled all the power it should go out,but something could still be wired aftermarket into that factory circuit.if your not running fogs you could just take the dash out and remove the bulb.
Just got back from playing around with this and think I got it to turn off finally. I say think, bc. I have no idea what I did to fix it.

1. looks like this was more related to the parking lights than fogs — here's why:

2. I removed the lower dash panel to look for loose wiring — I found a toggle switch that is wired to pin 9 on the Multifunction switch harness (pin 9 is parking lights - see image below) — after playing around, I realized that this toggle switch turned ON and OFF the dash light indicator and since I don't have fogs ( and fog light switch on the stalk is in off position) it had to be either the parking or headlights — and sure enough, when I turned on the parking lights ( one click on stalk) the light on the dash would go on, and then using this toggle switch I can turn the dash light off, and the parking lights on the outside remains on)

So I removed the electrical tape and crimped some connectors, instead of undoing this fancy work. I guess it's not a bad idea to keep that light off, say on a long drive if that light gets annoying

mystery still remains — why did the dash light stay on when the car was off with key in pocket? and why would, what I did above fix anything? maybe a loose wire and the crimp fixed it?

3. Oddly enough while down there I found out that the wire going to PIN 14 (fog lights) is cut and I cant find the other end of the wire anywhere — saving this fun for another day, as I'm not running fogs (well I am but I have covers on them, don't need them to light up, its just for show)

tj_multifunciton_harness_diagram.JPG

Just got back from playing around with this and think I got it to turn off finally. I say think, bc. I have no idea what I did to fix it.

1. looks like this was more related to the parking lights than fogs — here's why:

2. I removed the lower dash panel to look for loose wiring — I found a toggle switch that is wired to pin 9 on the Multifunction switch harness (pin 9 is parking lights - see image below) — after playing around, I realized that this toggle switch turned ON and OFF the dash light indicator and since I don't have fogs ( and fog light switch on the stalk is in off position) it had to be either the parking or headlights — and sure enough, when I turned on the parking lights ( one click on stalk) the light on the dash would go on, and then using this toggle switch I can turn the dash light off, and the parking lights on the outside remains on)

So I removed the electrical tape and crimped some connectors, instead of undoing this fancy work. I guess it's not a bad idea to keep that light off, say on a long drive if that light gets annoying

mystery still remains — why did the dash light stay on when the car was off with key in pocket? and why would, what I did above fix anything? maybe a loose wire and the crimp fixed it?

3. Oddly enough while down there I found out that the wire going to PIN 14 (fog lights) is cut and I cant find the other end of the wire anywhere — saving this fun for another day, as I'm not running fogs (well I am but I have covers on them, don't need them to light up, its just for show)

View attachment 296623
Yep,people should do their wiring right the first time

Haven't looked at the schematic. but I believe the light switch has power all the time. No reason a bad stalk couldn't turn the fog light indicator light on without the keys.

edit: just saw you already replaced the stalk

Last edited: