Texas List of members that live in Texas

Its definitely a fun little trip. Sargent beach in my opinion is to narrow for much besides a picnic and about enough room for vehicle to pass each other, that's at least been the experience I've had there. Matagorda on the other hand has tons of room and its 23 miles from the entrance to the end so plenty of room to mess around.
you can go a long ways on sargent most of the time. during heavy rain a cut opens up that limits your east travels but that cut is still miles from the entrance. The beach opens up and has some trails.

sargent1.JPG

Very nice! State or national park? I was just there for Christmas.

View attachment 309997

View attachment 309998

View attachment 309999
The national, yep sure is a amazing place! This will be my third time visiting there and my second time camping there. Last year went and did primitive camping along one of the 4x4 trails over New Years so sort of doing a later repeat this year. I have grandparents and a Uncle with a TJ that live in Pecos Tx so makes it a bit more convenient.

Reactions: imahnu
The national, yep sure is a amazing place! This will be my third time visiting there and my second time camping there. Last year went and did primitive camping along one of the 4x4 trails over New Years so sort of doing a later repeat this year. I have grandparents and a Uncle with a TJ that live in Pecos Tx so makes it a bit more convenient.
Sounds like a blast! Hope y'all have a great time.

If you should go back to the Big Bend region in the future, I would definitely recommend the State Park. It is rougher than the national park and a lot of roads are similar to Black Gap road in the NP. The second picture I posted is from the Guale 2 campsite in the SP. Extremely secluded and views all around for miles with lots of hiking opportunities near by.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Sounds like a blast! Hope y'all have a great time.

If you should go back to the Big Bend region in the future, I would definitely recommend the State Park. It is rougher than the national park and a lot of roads are similar to Black Gap road in the NP. The second picture I posted is from the Guale 2 campsite in the SP. Extremely secluded and views all around for miles with lots of hiking opportunities near by.
Sounds awesome! I'll definitely add it to the future trip list.

I'd love to get some input on where to wheel out at Big Bend. I want to take the family out there next year for spring break.
I’ve been there over half a dozen times and went to the university out in Alpine, TX for a short time so I explored around there quite a bit. There aren’t many places dedicated to off-roading in the normal sense, but most trails that require high clearance or 4x4 are hours long and have sections that can certainly be a bit technical, especially after a heavy rainfall.

The best bit of advice I could offer would be to make sure your Jeep is in good working order and reliable. Make sure your fluids are in good condition, your tires are good and you’re confident your belts and hoses won’t break or leak when you’re several hours from the closest person that might help you.

The terrain in big bend isn’t technically difficult but it is unforgiving and rough. The last time I took my Jeep there I had a lower control arm bolt loosen and fall out from all the vibration after 3 days on the trails. Me and my gf at the time had to walk about half a mile back down the trail to find the bolt, washer and nut and then get it reinstalled to continue back to our camp after going down black gap to Mariscal mine.

In the National park, the most technical trail would definitely be black gap but it isn’t difficult rock crawling or anything like that. Just a long section of unmaintained rocky trails. Old ore road is another rougher trail. Glenn springs and sections of river road are decently similar. Most trails have lots of cool places to pull off and explore or see some spectacular views.
Some good views and hiking trails can be found at Santa Elena and in the Chisos mountains.

In the state park, most trails are fairly similar in difficulty. I’d have to recommend you try and reserve or stay at las burras 2 campground. Nice trail on the way there and the campground is beautiful. If you can also make it to Gaule 2 I’d always recommend that site. Definitely has the most spectacular views in the whole park, just be prepared for some windy camping.

The state park is much rougher than the National park since there are no paved roads in the interior of the park and have less maintenance. That being said it’s pretty rare to see other people unless you’re at the ranger station or on the main road.

There’s a small oasis with a year round creek and small waterfall in the state park but I can’t remember the name of it. If you google it you should be able to find it. Just be careful, I’ve seen some pretty large prints (mountain lions and bears) in the area.

Be sure to bring plenty of spare gas and water cause you’ll go through a lot.

Reactions: diggerwolf
Another thing I'd highly recommend is make sure you have a good way to air down and then air back up if you don't already. It'll make the trails much more pleasant.

matagorda beach again over the weekend drove all the way to the cut, 40 minute drive in sand. caught some nice reds. Thats 2 trips in a row that we caught limits of slot reds and some bulls

I was down there yesterday and caught some reds. Water is looking good for now.

matagorda beach again over the weekend drove all the way to the cut, 40 minute drive in sand. caught some nice reds. Thats 2 trips in a row that we caught limits of slot reds and some bulls

How do you do it??? Everytime I go to Matagorda the fish disappear.

So far it’s me on 32’s a tj on 37’s and a jkr on 37’s idk who else is going but will be a good time

Looking to plan a trip to hidden falls in December or January

Trip to hot springs already planned for early March idk the exact dates