Little guy teardrop trailer build

connor grimes

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Just picked up a 2009 little guy trailer off an old man who never used the thing. Plan is to get some timbren 4” lift axle-less suspension and run 33‘s. I already mounted the lock and roll hitch will update as the project moves along but I’m excited for this trailer! Towed like a dream behind my EV , weights about 900lbs

E86144F9-9540-47CA-A2DD-314C29771C2B.jpeg

E1B1723E-5A82-43EF-A5A7-D1E75BDC76CB.jpeg

I'm currently running 35s, but hesitant to run them on the trailer-seems overkill. I do like the idea of being able to use universal spares however. Still, i think 33's fit the bill keeping unsprung weight low. Also not sure if the timbrens are built for 35's

Reactions: JMT
That fender flares looks pretty flimsy as it is. And most trailer shops sell new aluminum flares.

You might want to buy some square tube and weld it under the trailer...have the tube come out some of the width of 35s...that tube could hold up a new flare and act as sliders...and maybe allow storage of things like propane, gas cans or a BBQ grill.

I just watched a lady wipe out the side of her RV...sliders are good!

-Mac

Reactions: connor grimes
Just picked up a 2009 little guy trailer off an old man who never used the thing. Plan is to get some timbren 4” lift axle-less suspension and run 33‘s. I already mounted the lock and roll hitch will update as the project moves along but I’m excited for this trailer! Towed like a dream behind my EV , weights about 900lbs

View attachment 494486

View attachment 494487

Congratulations! That will go a lot of places. Super fun.

Reactions: connor grimes
Congrats!! I'm considering something like this myself. Do you know what yours weighs in at? When it comes to campers I'm hesitant to believe the mfg numbers, they usually are listed a tad light...

well guys its mostly done! just need to fab some nerf style fenders but that'll come soon. decided 35's would be too much and got a steal on some 33x10.5x15's and matched to my jeep wheels but went with a narrower rim than the TJ. In hindsight 31's would have been plenty, I also did not realize how wide the wheelbase would be. Ideally it would match the track of my jeep but not worth stressing now. Took a little more work than anticipated getting it bolted to the frame. I had to make some backing plates for the inside as the 3 main bolts were pulling in the boxed frame with just washers. I am having a friend weld some additional gussets in various places to strengthen the frame. Will update as it goes along but couldn't help to share! the trailer is almost comical and I can't wait to test it out. Also have plans to cover the areas I cut and run aluminum diamond plate along all of the gold areas.

IMG_0392.PNG

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

I plan on lifting and adding brakes on my 2015 Little Guy. My first outing is May 3 out to the Mojave and I’ll see how things go. Since the picture was taken I’ve gotten a lower hitch to level it out a bit. Still too low for any rough stuff. Looked at getting Aluminum fenders but see a lot of reports of them cracking. Plastic will work for now.

IMG_2201.jpeg