LJ Adventure Build

XCRN

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I just bought me a Red LJ to go with the 3 Green TJs. I have been wanting something a bit bigger for me and my significant other to go on longer adventures with like exploring the public trails out West, going as far North as I can in Canada and other trips. I found this LJ for cheap compared to other LJs with a clean tub (fenders are rough) but rotted frame only towards the center which I can deal with. The frame is in excellent condition outside the control arm mounts. Im not sure if I am going to repair or replace the frame yet, but I have a full set of TJ frame repair pieces that I think are Pocono brand and I might try calling them to see if it will work on an LJ and I just buy an LJ center section piece.

With that said it needs to maintain excellent road manners and not be a rough ride. It will also be used to tow a camper around. So my plan for suspension was 3-4in lift with 33s I will probably stick to adjustable short arm setup and I like the idea of getting Fox adjustable reservoir shocks. Definitly going to get a Genright 31gal fuel tank.

Right now it has 210k miles and does run well, but later once I have the body and chassis prepared I am either going to do a 1.9 TDI swap with some kind of auto trans or a Gen V direct injected 5.3 with a 6L80E. Has to be auto since she can’t drive stick and I like the idea of being lazy too. Still weighing pros and cons but with the TDI I like the idea 25+mpg is obtainable and with my goals for this build, range is an important factor with some of the trips I have in mind. But I have no experience with TDIs and there seems to be a lot of different options and I am getting confused with research.

With the thought of the Gen V 5.3 and a 6L80, I can potentially maintain decent MPG as many have claimed around 20mpg with 35s on older Gen 3 engines with 4L60s. My personal experence with an 5.3 swapped TJ with 31s is 16.5 normally but 18 is doable on long trips that are mostly highways but I feel the shorter OD in an AX15 revs the V8 too high and uses way more gas. I feel like the Gen V with a 6L80 has a better shot of getting above 20 with 2 OD gears and excellent down low torque. I also have both 5.3 and 6L80 as rebuildable cores sitting in my garage and have done LS swaps on TJs so I know what I am doing and don't need to research too much about it. Also V8 noises!

So for now progress will be slow as I try to finish the customer LS TJ (the red one with the missing fender) but my main goal with the LJ right now is getting the frame issue sorted out so I can drive it as-is. But if anyone has thoughts on the TDI vs LT swap I would be interested in hearing them.

I really enjoy my 5.3 TJ but having the extra space and more stable ride is something I am looking forward too.

IMG_7937.jpeg

IMG_7936.jpeg

IMG_7931.jpeg

IMG_7954.jpeg

I spent a bit of today on my day off evaluating everything I need and what I have since I am a MAJOR hoarder of TJ parts that most are free at this point from years of trading.

So one big thing I found is a practically complete Skyjacker 4in lift kit with M95 shocks and extra lower control arms and a skid plate drop which I would rather not use but unless its absoulutly needed, I am not doing an SYE until I do the powertrain swap since I have to tear apart the transfercase for adapting to a 6L80E. I know Skyjacker is not held in high regard, but again…it’s free. Eventually I will upgrade shocks with an outboard job, but this gets me on the road faster. It also has extended sway bar links, but will be temporary as I will be going with Anti-Rock or Sway-Lok in the future.

With the control arms, I have learned that poly bushings are a “no-no” so my plan is to cut the ends off and replace with a tube nut and Johnny Joint and have some DIY double adjustable arms. I did the numbers and it is cheaper to do this compared to buying double adjustable arms so its worth while to put in the effort to do this.

I also had a full frame repair kit but can only use the front on the LJ and had to order the center and rear.

And on top of that I also had a rear swing out bumper that holds gas cans that needs some work. Just need to weld a new pivot pin and reciever on and figure out a new latch.

So I atleast have some major parts ready to go and the frame pieces on order so its driveable soon.

IMG_7995.jpeg

IMG_7997.jpeg

IMG_5067.jpeg

Reactions: ObedaTJ and PNW_LJ
Sounds like this isn’t your first rodeo. I’m looking forward to following your build.

Jeff

Sounds like this isn’t your first rodeo. I’m looking forward to following your build.

Jeff

It most certainly is not. This Green TJ has been my daily the last 2-1/2 years and I learned a lot from this and currently working on a second LS swap for someone else. I was thinking of pulling the Gen 3 5.3/AX15 and putting the Gen V 5.3/6L80 into the TJ but I feel like the LJ could benefit from it more. So the LT engine swap will be simple and quick and I can avoid doing things twice since I know what works and what doesn't. The most difficult part I foresee is the AC since I have yet to get it working in my 5.3 TJ yet. Both the 5.3 and the 6L80 need rebuilt so ill probably work on that over the next few months and be prepared to swap end of next summer. But the LJ will get the same treatment as the TJ eventually but ill be budgeting this better too.

IMG_1051.jpeg

image000000.jpeg

It most certainly is not. This Green TJ has been my daily the last 2-1/2 years and I learned a lot from this and currently working on a second LS swap for someone else. I was thinking of pulling the Gen 3 5.3/AX15 and putting the Gen V 5.3/6L80 into the TJ but I feel like the LJ could benefit from it more. So the LT engine swap will be simple and quick and I can avoid doing things twice since I know what works and what doesn't. The most difficult part I foresee is the AC since I have yet to get it working in my 5.3 TJ yet. Both the 5.3 and the 6L80 need rebuilt so ill probably work on that over the next few months and be prepared to swap end of next summer. But the LJ will get the same treatment as the TJ eventually but ill be budgeting this better too.

View attachment 478491

View attachment 478492

Wait……..LS?

[UN-FOLLOW]

🙂

Any free Hemi’s in your backyard?

🙂

I wish! Just got a Jeep 2.5 back there now and its going into one of the cheap heaps that had a hole in the block where I decided to make the hole bigger with hammering down on the gas pedal since it still ran somehow.

Sooooo on the 5th day of Christmas my $400 got for me…..5 Firestone MT 33” tires, 4 Sahara fender flares, 3 light housings, 2 bumpers, and a trailer hitch in a Honda Fit

Probably going to re-sell the tires as trail inly tires since they have a 2012 mfg date. But there is absolutely no dry rot or cracking and have spent most of their lives in a garage and have maybe 300miles

IMG_8076.jpeg

IMG_8077.jpeg

Got it back from frame repair and its annoying how much better everything works on this compared to my restored LS swapped TJ. Like the heater and sound are way better, the roads dont feel as harsh (probably the E rated tires on TJ vs the Cs on the LJ), brake pedal feel much better. Makes me think I did something wrong with the TJ. So I might start comparing things on this vs the TJ to see what I can do to also make the TJ better.

With that said after putting some miles on, there is still a lot that needs addressed. Bump steers pretty bad, vibration at 70mph, hard braking it pulls, still need to fix the lack of turn signals, oil leaks, etc. Only thing I have done since getting it back is installing some factory JK LED headlights I had lying around. Really stuck on what to do for wheels and tires. Thinking of either new tires on the factory Ravine wheels, going with a set of Rubicon Moabs I have lying around, or AEV 17in Salta wheels.

So far very happy with this purchase

IMG_8165.jpeg