LJ Info Needed

Diablodog

Looking for some clarification on an LJ I recently picked up. (I did some research and thought this would be the best forum. If not, please let me know.)

1st time Wrangler owner and always wanted a TJ. Have had several GC's with nothing but good experiences.

Now to what I am hoping to find out. Came across an 05 Unlimited Rubicon. I thought it was just one of the longer models and didnt know much else. 1 owner and street driven its whole life.

Got it home and it needed a deep cleaning. While cleaning it up, I removed some Sahara/Star stickers above the Jeep, in front of the doors. My limited searching led me to believe the PO may have bought them from Autozone and put them on.

I had done some googling, Vin decoding, and general looking around. While searching Google, I found two videos that claim there was an Unlimited-Rubicon-Sahara model. They mentioned about 1k were produced.

It is khaki with two tone tan interior, like Sahara models I have seen, with a brownish soft top (trashed). In the generic Vin decoding I didn't see anything about it being a Sahara, just Rubicon and other basic info.

I've searched high and low and cannot find images of the decals I removed. They were the same decals I later saw on both LJ videos.

Any thoughts/ knowledge on if this was really a model? Any general info on what I have or where I can get the decals would be greatly appreciated.

It's bone stock and bbesidesa deep clean up, maintainance, and a top, I'll prob lift 3-4 inches and put 33's on it. drive it and go from there.

Thanks for the help.

The “RubiHara” models are the rarest of the rare- if it has an axle locker switch on the right below the climate control panel it may be one, or at least is a Rubicon. They were a limited production run inspired by the movie “Sahara”.

If that does not exist it is neither.

There is a site guys on here list that you can enter the vin and get the factory build list.

Also we have some RubiHara owners here that can tell you some other details to help identify it.

Usually their is a number that denotes which of the 1000 units made it is, I can’t remember if it’s on the side or a the interior.

Keep us posted and throw some pics on here.

The most accurate TJ knowledge anywhere is on this forum.

The “RubiHara” models are the rarest of the rare- if it has an axle locker switch on the right below the climate control panel it may be one, or at least is a Rubicon. They were a limited production run inspired by the movie “Sahara”.

If that does not exist it is neither.

There is a site guys on here list that you can enter the vin and get the factory build list.

Also we have some RubiHara owners here that can tell you some other details to help identify it.

Usually their is a number that denotes which of the 1000 units made it is, I can’t remember if it’s on the side or a the interior.

Keep us posted and throw some pics on here.

The most accurate TJ knowledge anywhere is on this forum.

Thank you very much. Yes, it does have the locker switch. I've looked for some numerical indicator, but not sure exactly what to look for or where. I'll see if I can post a fee pics. Thanks again.

Did it look like this? Your description sounds like it may have been. If it is you sorta just removed the signature off a Picasso.

Based on it being owned by an older guy, this may be a gem if it all adds up.

IMG_4815.png

Not a real good picture of the decals, but it was the only one I took. Second one is obviously after I removed them which now sounds like something I shouldn't have done.

IMG_4596.jpg

IMG_4602.jpg

That’s a RubiHara.

How many miles on it?

Pixiedecals at one time sold replica stickers- find ‘em.

Those Jeeps are the most sought after TJ Unlimited models.

It's got just over 200k and I'll deffinately have to find replacements. Pissed at myself for being in such a hurry to clean it up.

Been sitting for about 5 yrs and orig owner was a pig, so all the interior needs to come out for a deep deep cleaning. Did fire up with fresh fuel and run like a sewing machine. There were limited maintenance records available amd most were thrown on the floor with all the other trash.

I'm normally a researching fool, but screwed up on them decals.

Yep, its a Rubihara. The wheels are slightly different, a graphite on the inside, and the seats have a different fabric. There should also be a sticker on the dash. That one still has the chrome grill overlay.

20230917_090141.jpg

20230917_090202.jpg

20230917_090149.jpg

Reactions: Plumber1
Allegedly pixiedecals sells the replicas. They are not advertised on the website because Chrysler sent him a nasty gram at some point. But if you did email and if he did have them, they seem pretty legit.
20230917_090952.jpg

And just so your clear… the “Sahara” is referencing a movie that it was made for.. Sahara starring Matthew McConaughay not Sahara the package..it is a Rubicon package!

Thank you all for the information and education, much appreciated. (Especially AndyG, who in a matter of minutes as soon as I joined, had me squared away. I’ve got family down near Mobile, y’all Alabaman’s are great folks!)

The sticker is no longer there. After all the great info passed along, I’ve done more research and found fantastic info on possibly determining the build number thru Imperial Marketing. I’ll definitely be reaching out to Pixie Decals and hopefully get my screwup resolved.

I’m sure opinions are all over, but would like thoughts/suggestions on the best way/setup to run 285/75’s (on the stock wheels). That said, it will only see fire roads, light trails, and general driving around. I (think) want all of it to come in suspension, but have read a lot about doing a 1” body lift.

Thanks again

Reactions: Jamison C
And just so your clear… the “Sahara” is referencing a movie that it was made for.. Sahara starring Matthew McConaughay not Sahara the package..it is a Rubicon package!

Correctish. From what I've read and heard and could be wrong, it's a cosmetic package added to an 05 unlimited Rubicon because of the movie Sahara in 04. It's an Unlimited Rubicon Sahara.

download.jpeg

jpn1.jpg

Thank you for the link. It did confirm everything with the build sheet. I pulled the top off today and and it just crumbled. Also pulled all the interior for cleaning. It is even dirtier than I thought, presumably from the side curtIans having tore. Given the overall condition, which isn’t horrible but also not great, I’m not thinking it’s a candidate for anyone that would want something collectible condition. I‘ll keep it stock for the most part with the exception of a lift and tires…for now!

3068E59F-827C-463B-BFA7-495C96C224AE.png

D37EB2DC-F623-4646-85F5-DBB7B3E9A948.png

A lift is really the worst thing you can do for resale value. Some of those lift kits are crapola. Death Wobble, and the likes, will never ride as good as stock. Your Jeep, your world though. Just my $0.02. I would never lift my Jeep. Unless, you plan to do some serious off-roading, or rock climbing, Jeeps are totally capable stock, especially a Rubi-Sahara. I saw a guy buy a brand new gorgeous Subaru 4x4, when I was in high school. He took it off-roading and in six months, it looked totaled. That was sad. Here's mine. And, I'm still trying to restore it. I plan to add tow hooks and that's it. My wheel clearance is fine.
Wrangler 2.jpg

New Seats.jpg

Reactions: Dr. Internet
I‘ll keep it stock for the most part with the exception of a lift and tires…for now!

Welcome and good find.
You do you, make it how you want.
Not that it matters, but a small lift is easily reversible.
All you need is springs and shocks.
I wheeled my lifted LJR with the factory arms and driveshafts for years.

Thanks again for the info and input. Good news (because of my screw up), got ahold of Pixel Decals and two sets of the decals are on the way. Don was great and I’ll have them by the time I get home from vaca. Hopefully will never need the second set…but I’ll have them! Also going to try Imperial Marketing and see if I can get help with what number it is. I’ve read that at one point guys had good luck, but there are new/different folks there who have not been so helpful. Any recent experiences anyone can share?

As I’ve really looked it over and made a list of the obvious things I want to get ordered, I have done some research but not having good luck. Looking for the original colored soft top (dark khaki/brown, but hard to tell because of its condition) and only seeing black available. I’m hoping someone makes it or I may go to a painted hardtop to maintain this color. I also want to replace the gray colored carpeting. The back floor and wheel wells are decent, if I can find the same grey (not like the bedrug) for the font and back passenger foot area. Or I’ll get all the pieces if there is a good quality comparable color out there.

Lastly is the lift. I want to be able to comfortably run 285/75’s (still stuck on just doing suspension) off road but maintain a good, comfortable drive-ability on the street. I’ve been looking at 3.5 kits from Rubicon Express and Teraflex. Both look to have good quality progressive springs. Trying to read through info on what height lift really should have control arms, track bar vs bracket, etc. Also, dropping t-case vs raising motor. I am hoping to stay away from driveline angle issues or any other Jeep modification quirks that can happen when lifting. This may be an impossible ask if I want it all to be removable without any permanent modifications.

I‘ve got some catching up to do when it comes to learning these Jeeps! Any of your thoughts/suggestions/experiences are certainly welcomed. I’ve been doing a lot of asking, but plan to give back when I have a chance. (Hopefully not a bad thing, but I must admit that I was an FJ guy for a number of years and went thru 3 of them. Only had this Jeep a few days and already like it better than any of the FJ’s!)