LJ lift advice

Camdenst

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new lift for the LJ rubi with a goal to run 33s... either 285 or 295/ 75 r16 general grabbers. I was thinking 3 in springs, maybe BDS and Bilstein shocks setup. I plan to add a brown dog mml and the UCF low pro mount as well. In the future I would also like to run the UCF no lift T-Case skid. My question is, would I need to worry about driveline angles with the taller springs and the skid in the future? I’m not completely opposed to a dpg setup, I just would prefer no body lift. How much would adjustable controls help to compensate?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new lift for the LJ rubi with a goal to run 33s... either 285 or 295/ 75 r16 general grabbers. I was thinking 3 in springs, maybe BDS and Bilstein shocks setup. I plan to add a brown dog mml and the UCF low pro mount as well. In the future I would also like to run the UCF no lift T-Case skid. My question is, would I need to worry about driveline angles with the taller springs and the skid in the future? I’m not completely opposed to a dpg setup, I just would prefer no body lift. How much would adjustable controls help to compensate?

Thanks in advance
I would look at a 4 inch lift with adjustable upper and lower control arms and an SYE. I did this on a 4banger. No issues.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

With 3" springs on an LJ, you won't need to worry about driveline angles. The LJ benefits greatly from the lessened driveline angles, and therefore you can get away with about 4" of suspension lift before you need to worry about a CV driveshaft or adjusting the pinion angle.

No, you won't have to worry about angles with the LJ until greater than 4". I just installed the currie 4" lift and did not need to install an SYE/CV rear driveshaft not any BL or MML. I also have 33" tires.

Unless you are trying to do an LCOG, I would do a 4" lift because of the LJ break over angle if you can do it.

Adjustable control arms and trackbars are extremely helpful when getting all your angles right

With 3" springs on an LJ, you won't need to worry about driveline angles. The LJ benefits greatly from the lessened driveline angles, and therefore you can get away with about 4" of suspension lift before you need to worry about a CV driveshaft or adjusting the pinion angle.
Doesn't the LJ come with a double carden rear driveshaft making the sye unneeded?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I didn't want to go too high. I don't ever foresee going bigger than 33s and I use it mostly in summer on the street. I do make a couple trips a year to rausch or anthracite. I don't necessarily need the most flex, but enough to get me through the trails.

I didn't want to go too high. I don't ever foresee going bigger than 33s and I use it mostly in summer on the street. I do make a couple trips a year to rausch or anthracite. I don't necessarily need the most flex, but enough to get me through the trails.
I see. All I’m saying is 3” Lift is a less common coil spring height, so you get limited on other components like shocks to match with it. Don’t get me wrong, they’re available, just maybe not what suits your needs, driveability, comfort.

Further, 3” of lift on a LJ won’t be perceived like 3” on a TJ. That’s perception, of course, which you may not care about.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
Ever single LJ I have seen go to 33” tires goes directly to 35/37” tires. 33s on an LJ look small.

I have the Savvy/Currie 3” coil springs. I net 4” of lift in the rear and 2.5” lift in the front in my TJ. I have a hard top, armor, tire carrier, and spare hanging off the back.

3” coils seem to be less common, they are an awkward size leaving you questioning why you didn’t stick with tried and true 2.5” OME or 4” Currie/ect. Yes you are limited by shocks choices, not many people design a shock that perfectly matches 3” of lift (certainly one or two companies make one that perfectly matches the travel you need).

Reactions: JMT
Also, with the UCF lo pro mount, just be aware that you will get increased vibrations to your tub at idle RPM’s. UCF knows this, they just don’t volunteer it unless you ask them about it.

Reactions: StG58
Also, with the UCF lo pro mount, just be aware that you will get increased vibrations to your tub at idle RPM’s. UCF knows this, they just don’t volunteer it unless you ask them about it.
This is also true of Savvy Offroad’s UA. I don’t know what the difference is between how significant they are, but just food for thought. :)

This is also true of Savvy Offroad’s UA. I don’t know what the difference is between how significant they are, but just food for thought. :)
That’s good to know. Maybe @mrblaine can shed some light on the difference in vibes between the UCF lo pro mount and the Savvy UA transmission mount.

I ran the ucf mount on my previous tj, it was only noticeable at idle and take off. I would describe it a fine vibes as it was more connected to the vehicle. Nothing that would stop me from running it again.

My only concern with going to the 4in is that it will complicate things a bit more quickly. Correct me if if wrong but I would need new arms sooner rather than later and any kind of tcase skid would accelerate the need for a new driveshaft. Anecdotally... the wife would need a running start to get in.

My thoughts with the 3in springs is that I could run 33s. My previous tj was very capable and I was able to do a lot with 31s even aired down. With the 33s and a new tcase skid I could do even more.

Also not sure if I did a formal introduction, but Im Trevor

Reactions: StG58 and JMT
Get the OME 2.5" springs and have some 1" coil spacers on standby if you need more height. You'll need 2" of bumpstop extension either way to keep the tires out of your inner fender wells, unless you add a body lift.

Reactions: FireJeep
Its funny, in the back of my mind I had a feeling that OME would end up being the end result. A part of me wanted to try and piece it together myself. I have read ome tend to runs on the softer side.

Im sure Dirk would help me piece together a lift minus the body lift. Rokmen makes a 1/2 body lift that I wouldn't be opposed to.

Reactions: skrelnik
I ran the ucf mount on my previous tj, it was only noticeable at idle and take off. I would describe it a fine vibes as it was more connected to the vehicle. Nothing that would stop me from running it again.

My only concern with going to the 4in is that it will complicate things a bit more quickly. Correct me if if wrong but I would need new arms sooner rather than later and any kind of tcase skid would accelerate the need for a new driveshaft. Anecdotally... the wife would need a running start to get in.

My thoughts with the 3in springs is that I could run 33s. My previous tj was very capable and I was able to do a lot with 31s even aired down. With the 33s and a new tcase skid I could do even more.

Also not sure if I did a formal introduction, but Im Trevor

Hi Trevor - I have a 2005 LJ with the intention of moving to 33s. I spoke with Dirk at DPG Offroad about what I needed to get 33s on, but doing it correctly so I do not experience issues, like vibes or a pack of partying gremilns. Of course I used the forums as well since they provide an infinite amount of knowledge.

While I am just reporting what was recommended to me for a 2005 LJ, there are many brands that offer similar parts so you do have options. In no way am I saying this is the best of the best, just what properly fits to get 33s on without issues.

2.5" OME spring and shocks
JKS front adjustable trackbar
JKS rear adjustable trackbar
JKS front anti-swaybar disconnect endlinks
JKS rear adjustable anti-swaybar endlinks
JKS 1.25" body lift
Brown Dog 1" motor mount lift
DPG 2" front bumpstops
DPG 2" rear bumpstops

I also have 15" wheels with 3.7" backspacing from Extreme Terrain.