LJ Soft Tops: OEM or Trektop?

ANZAC-USMC

Just a quick question for the soft top LJ owners out there. OEM bow style soft top or something like the Bestop Trektop?
I currently have a safari top on mine but need the ability to close it off. I have a 2002 Wrangler X that originally came with an OEM top but once I realized the top was toast, I changed it out for a Rampage frameless. Not super excited about the look or the functionality of it but it works for now. I did like how the OEM top was user friendly and folded all the way down. As for the LJ, time to pull the trigger on a new top so any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Depends on your primary use. I have the trektop. With windows rolled up I have to turn the fan on 3 to stop it from flapping. It’s a third vehicle and I primarily run it in bikini mode. If I ran it with windows zipped in more than half the time I’d switch to the oem.

If you like the top completely off, the Trek top is not user friendly.
It's designed to be more like a safari top with removable windows.

sand2.jpg

sand1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Just a quick question for the soft top LJ owners out there. OEM bow style soft top or something like the Bestop Trektop?
I changed it out for a Rampage frameless. Not super excited about the look or the functionality of it but it works for now. I did like how the OEM top was user friendly and folded all the way down.
Sounds like you already know which one you prefer. 👍

Sounds like you already know which one you prefer. 👍
All things being equal I guess I do...kind of. The frameless top works great as a safari top and the side panels aren't too bothersome but the fact that you can't remove it all the way kinda bugs. The OEM setup however is quite a bit more pricey than the Trektop but the Trektok does have the sunrider feature. It is a toss up and if it weren't for the ongoing backorder issues I've seen with replacement bow systems, we may not be having this conversation.

Depends entirely on your priorities. I run the Rampage, and I love the thing. But my usage fits the product. I almost always run in “safari” mode, and rarely if ever take it all the way off - wicked sunshine here in the south. Throwing the windows in for the occasional ride in bad weather, or for running on the trailer for a wheelin’ trip, is a piece of cake. Taking it all the way off and back on is more of a challenge.

I also think it looks pretty trick on an LJ…

51EAA4A8-8632-4389-A0B0-C414D2DC71DB.jpeg

But that’s just me.

I prefer the OEM top. Bought a Bestop RAT a few years ago, happy with the quality. I like the Trektop NX, but have heard the rear window is more of a pain in the ass to open than the OEM.

I love my Trektop NX, I have no problem removing and installing the windows. I run it in safari mode most of the summer and like @NashvilleTJ said only put the windows in due to rain or cooler weather.

I even like the hated Tramp stamp logo on the back of it.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I love my Trektop NX, I have no problem removing and installing the windows. I run it in safari mode most of the summer and like @NashvilleTJ said only put the windows in due to rain or cooler weather.

I even like the hated Tramp stamp logo on the back of it.
For a split second I thought I read, "I even like the hated Trump stamp logo on the back of it".:D
p.s. I was all ready to order one. 🥳