Lockers on nearly stock Jeep, thoughts?

The one nice thing about the Dana 35 though is that the shims for the carrier are on the outside of the bearing race making it easy to change backlash (as compared to the front Dana 30 where there pressed in between the carrier and the bearing). If u do want to do a locker in the 35 and are not changing gear ratios then you don’t have to mess with pinion depth. For the most part all you would have to do is get a super 35 kit which could be anywhere from 800 with a Detroit all the way up to 1400 with a arb. Check the backlash before you pull the original carrier out and shim it back to the same backlash isn’t all too difficult. It’s when you change the gear ratio and have to set pinion depth that you add another level of complexity to the job.
As for the front a lunch box locker, some new spicer u joints and some wheel bearings while u are in there is a good solution.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Perhaps my new-ish to me TJ is an exception, but in addition to other trails, it has traversed the Rubicon and Dusy several times for the previous owner on stock Dana 30/Dana 35 axles with ARBs in both ends on 31" tires. I can't vouch for how it'd do in the mud (no desire for me), but it has held up (so far).

That said, the Super 35 wasn't available back when these lockers were installed and that is how I would do it today :ROFLMAO:

If you already have the locker in the 35, then all you would need for a super 35 is better axle shafts.

An inexpensive and easily installed lunchbox locker would be fine in your front Dana 30 axle. An Aussie lunchbox locker is a good choice, it clicks/ratchets softly when you're making turns in 2wd though. If you don't want it to click/ratchet during turns you can go with the No-Slip lunchbox locker from Powertrax though it's about $100 more.

I usually prefer a rear locker first though, but your rear axle is only strong enough if it's the optional Dana 44 axle. The standard Dana 35 rear axle is not strong enough for a locker.

Take a look at these photos to determine if your rear axle is the standard Dana 35 or the more desirable Dana 44.

Basically the Dana 35 has a perfectly oval-shaped differential cover and it has a black-plastic snap-in fill hole plug. The Dana 44 is more stop sign shaped and has a threaded steel bolt plugging its fill hole.

Once you figure out what rear axle we can help you figure out if a rear locker is best or if a less costly front lunchbox locker would be enough.

This is a Dana 35.

View attachment 134783'

This is a Dana 44.

View attachment 134784
Thanks a ton, Jerry. I just looked underneath and I’m pretty sure I have the Dana 35. So from what others are saying, I’ll need to go with the super 35 kit first before I can do lockers in the rear?

Thanks! I appreciate it!
I got them on Amazon. They snapped right in and took about 60 seconds to install.
Thanks, lockers are the absolute best. The Jeep just keeps going and going and going.

Thanks, lockers are the absolute best. The Jeep just keeps going and going and going.
Most of the time anyway. 🤣

Thanks a ton, Jerry. I just looked underneath and I’m pretty sure I have the Dana 35. So from what others are saying, I’ll need to go with the super 35 kit first before I can do lockers in the rear?
Yes, you'd need a Super 35 kit from Revolution Gear before you could install a locker into your Dana 35. If its cost is an issue consider installing a lunchbox locker up front. A rear first is best but a front locker is awesome too.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
Do it!!!!
For reference I like wheeling my jeep on old mountain mining roads- rocks, water, a little mud in places.
I have a limited slip 44 in the rear and 31's for tires. I had some issues crawling over wet rocks whenever the stock frame did not provide enough flex and I'd lift a front wheel. I installed an Aussie lunchbox up front and problem taken care of- night and day difference. I later installed a Currie AntiRock up front to allow more flex (did not want the hassles of disconnects) and then a 2" lift and a winch. She's right where I want her unless I could find a few more horses for the 4.0L (maybe a re-gear).
Since you are in Florida the Aussie lunchbox up front would be good. In areas where ice can be found one must consider that under acceleration in 4WD it may want to go straight in uphill turns in slick conditions. That is not an issue for me because I park mine from Nov 1 until after the salt is off the road in spring.
Now if I could wave a magic wand I'd have a paddle shifter automatic trans (not a manual for uphill crawling). I say this because the auto up shifts on every crest and then i'm back on the brake.

Reactions: jazngab
If you already have the locker in the 35, then all you would need for a super 35 is better axle shafts.
Not true, any locker in a stock Dana 35 would be for the smaller OE 27 spline shafts. A true Super 30 includes larger diameter 30 spline shafts which would not fit into a 27 spline locker.

Now if I could wave a magic wand I'd have a paddle shifter automatic trans (not a manual for uphill crawling). I say this because the auto up shifts on every crest and then i'm back on the brake.
Have you not tried shifting from D to 2 or Low? That'll prevent it from upshifting.

Jerry- I have but I would prefer being able to select any gear. If I remember correctly 2 starts in 2 and shifts up (or is it a 1-2 shift?). Low of course stays low. (I could be wrong about the shifts with my 42rle and I have not been out on trail for a while). It would just be nice to have a button shift instead of pushing a release then move the shifter dozens of times per hour when i am trying to focus on the trail. I rarely have an experienced spotter so I really have to focus.

Ahh- maybe i'm just getting old LOL:ROFLMAO:

Put ARB's front and rear if your finances allow. Then just never tell anyone you have lockers, they will all be surprised at how well your stock jeep goes over everything. Just tell them you just spent the night at a Holiday Inn Express :) just say it must be your great driving skills :)

I have a 2000 TJ that is, for the most part, stock. No lifts, huge tires, or anything like that. It is currently my daily driver, but I like to take it off-roading on the weekends.

How foolish would it be to set it up with selectable lockers?

I really like the way a simple and not over-the-top Jeep looks. However, I also want it do be very capable off-road. Nothing too crazy, but there are certain places that I want to go that I think it would struggle without lockers.

The question is, will I cause damage to my axles/differential and will it be pointless using differential lockers without the extra clearance that a lift and large tires give?

View attachment 134732

Lock her up!...... Lock her up!...... Lock her up!....... :D

An inexpensive and easily installed lunchbox locker would be fine in your front Dana 30 axle. An Aussie lunchbox locker is a good choice, it clicks/ratchets softly when you're making turns in 2wd though. If you don't want it to click/ratchet during turns you can go with the No-Slip lunchbox locker from Powertrax though it's about $100 more.

I usually prefer a rear locker first though, but your rear axle is only strong enough if it's the optional Dana 44 axle. The standard Dana 35 rear axle is not strong enough for a locker.

Take a look at these photos to determine if your rear axle is the standard Dana 35 or the more desirable Dana 44.

Basically the Dana 35 has a perfectly oval-shaped differential cover and it has a black-plastic snap-in fill hole plug. The Dana 44 is more stop sign shaped and has a threaded steel bolt plugging its fill hole.

Once you figure out what rear axle we can help you figure out if a rear locker is best or if a less costly front lunchbox locker would be enough.

This is a Dana 35.

View attachment 134783'

This is a Dana 44.

View attachment 134784
This post is important .

Your TJ looks good .

I know the New Smyrna area..shark attack capital of the country I think too.

Lockers make the difference in whether you make it sometimes out there. I had no experience with them prior....I have been amazed.

A Rubicon. 😊
Yep. I call my 03 manual Whitey and my 06 auto B3. It nearly was named GFD (grounds for divorce ). It's really hard to hide a Jeep , just FYI.

In my opinion, a Rubicon is the most capable production 4 wheel drive vehicle ever produced in the United States.

Head to head , off road , a Rubicon will eat a stock TJ alive.