Locking hood latches

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey, I looked around the forum and did not see a post about Locking hood latches. I was wondering if Locking hood latches would be a good thing to have. There are several types on the market, from the outer two and also the center hood release . Are there any that are tried and true? thanks

I installed the Tuffy under hood lock. It wouldn't go in without taking it to my bench grinder though, so I'm not sure if this is an issue across the board or with specific years / TJ variations. You're also going to want the $11 lock cover to go with it (it's a petty sales strategy packaging it as a separate product).

Even with thr modifications, I still have to finagle my hood in place when closing it. There is a little trick that is required to get he hood open and seat it down, which I am fine with (it adds a layer of complexity that may deter theives or at least cause them to take longer / make extra noise should they decide to break in).

I bought it shortly after buying my 05 TJR and I have kept it lubricated with white lithium grease. It has held up so far.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
I think it depends on where you live/park and if you have any enemies. Would this be to deter someone from messing with your engine or to prevent theft… (of your battery?)
Well sometimes my son takes it to school. Im not really worried about theft , but more like vandalism or battery theft.... I have some sort of anti-theft on my jeep that was installed by the previous owner . If you pull this key card out the jeep will not start.

PO had these locks on the hood and I hated it. Last winter one of the locks froze up and could not open my hood. I replaced them with the stock ones.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/rugged-ridge-black-locking-w-tj-7691.html#product_pics-1

hood lock.jpg

I had locks on my hood. And it sucked. God forbid you had an engine fire. You'd never get in there fast enough to do anything about it. Your Jeep would simply burn to the ground.

They were constantly stuck. And you had to fiddle with the key and pushing the locks this way and that to get them to open. Sometimes if they weren't locked just right they'd pop open at speed on the freeway. I removed them and went back to stock.

What's the worst that could happen? Someone steals your battery? Insurance should cover that right? Or $200 replacement vs the ability to put out an engine fire.

Basically they're just a big pain the ass. HArd to replace too. I had to use huge bolt cutters to get them off. Destroying them in the process.

Excited to see this prototype. As I believe from another thread that it uses the actual center lock to lock the hood. Which is how it should have been designed to begin with. With the center lock locking. And the strap downs as added protection.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I had locks on my hood. And it sucked. God forbid you had an engine fire. You'd never get in there fast enough to do anything about it. Your Jeep would simply burn to the ground.

They were constantly stuck. And you had to fiddle with the key and pushing the locks this way and that to get them to open. Sometimes if they weren't locked just right they'd pop open at speed on the freeway. I removed them and went back to stock.

What's the worst that could happen? Someone steals your battery? Insurance should cover that right? Or $200 replacement vs the ability to put out an engine fire.

Basically they're just a big pain the ass. HArd to replace too. I had to use huge bolt cutters to get them off. Destroying them in the process.

Excited to see this prototype. As I believe from another thread that it uses the actual center lock to lock the hood. Which is how it should have been designed to begin with. With the center lock locking. And the strap downs as added protection.

Rather than theft, my concern is more mischief and tampering.

Years ago while parked in a decent residential suburb north side of Chicago, I returned to my old CJ5 with top down, and noticed the quart of oil I had laying on the floor was in a different location. Picked it up and found the bottle was empty.

On a hunch, I examined the gas tank opening, and found oil all around it. For some unknown reason, someone had poured the quart of oil into my gas tank. What if instead there had been a container of water or soda?

Right after that, I bought a locking gas cap, and also put a padlock on my hood. It would bite to have engine damage or some issue leading to major expense, maybe not even ever knowing why, because some person for kicks decided to mess with your Jeep. But I do agree, locking cap/hood can be a pain at times.