Long arm advantage question

As long as you stay at 4.5 inch lift or less you are correct the change in arc is not a significant issue. Once you get past that it begins to be a problem that seems to compound itself each inch over you go.

Sounds a lot like there's a specific link angle (that happens to be around 4.5" lift for a shortarm TJ) beyond which things deteriorate...

Sounds a lot like there's a specific link angle (that happens to be around 4.5" lift for a shortarm TJ) beyond which things deteriorate...

The main reason to increase arm length is to allow the use of longer shocks. If you run a short arm, the shock limit is around what the average 4" lift shock provides, increasing up to about 11" of travel in the front and about 12" in the rear. If you exceed that in the rocks and similar terrain, there is the possibility of hanging a tire in an undercut and that becomes too much to readily overcome. At those limits, the tire (assuming a 35 for this discussion) has no issue walking up the face. Go past that generally and the arm angle is too steep. Also why I don't chase high corner travel. It isn't that I can't, it is that I know that the bad things created in order to look good on a ramp, cause way more issues than looking good on a ramp can solve.

Can they be solved? Sure, but the expense and effort go way up unless you just pretend they don't exist. I can't do that.

Last edited:
1706591031788.jpeg