Long arm advantage question

ALASKANMADMAN

1999 TJ built for Alaskan tundra and muskegs as well as on road to get to locations but locations in Alaska can be far apart. Everythings new heavy duty lifted 7" on 37's and went with adjustable short control arms as muskegs can be a challenge and wanted as much tummy space available but after finishing build and dialing in everything as well as can be dialed in Ive gotten the rig to handle fairly well considering and zero death wobble BUT....I feel it can be stabeler. So my question is, will long arms stabilize the rig noticeably compared to my current set up? Ive already rebuilt to many aspects of this thing as it is and considering everything its pretty solid and I don't want to just throw more money at it on something that MIGHT steady it out minimally. So what's your actual experience in this matter and I really appreciate your time. Thank you.

Long arms do nothing to stabilize anything. You are really asking about shocks.

will long arms stabilize the rig noticeably compared to my current set up?
They stabilized @Jerry Bransford's Jeep. 🤫
1706454804036.png

Long arms do nothing to stabilize anything. You are really asking about shocks.

Just a doorman with quick disconnect. Its a step up from stock at 24mm I believe. Not an antirock tho. Also running dual dampers with new steering pump that I changed spring to reduce hydraulic rate and slow steering.

Just a doorman with quick disconnect. Its a step up from stock at 24mm I believe. Not an antirock tho. Also running dual dampers with new steering pump that I changed spring to reduce hydraulic rate and slow steering.

This is still ultimately a shock question. Your screwed up steering is a different issue. 😉

Steering is fine. He asked about sway bars and gave a little extra info for him. This has nothing to do with my shocks that are also brand new and are perfect for my application. This thread is about long arm performance and if you have any information on the subject then great. And if not then have a nice day.

Steering is fine. He asked about sway bars and gave a little extra info for him. This has nothing to do with my shocks that are also brand new and are perfect for my application. This thread is about long arm performance and if you have any information on the subject then great. And if not then have a nice day.

It isn't my fault that you are asking the wrong questions. This is a shock issue whether you want to believe it or not.

Reactions: bluescapegoat
It isn't my fault that you are asking the wrong questions. This is a shock issue whether you want to believe it or not.

Simply requested input between short and long arm for lifted rigs and if there is noticeable difference. Thanks in advance but if you do not know that's fine too.

Simply requested input between short and long arm for lifted rigs and if there is noticeable difference. Thanks in advance but if you do not know that's fine too.

And I answered your question. Then I tried to direct you into what your actual question was regarding stability.

The problem is that you are wanting the answer to long arms to be different than it is.

increased stability at that height and tire size would include full width axles and longer wheelbase which would require longer arms but the length of the arm is not as important as the geometry.

A longer wheelbase does not require longer arms. The TJ and LJ have the same length arms.

And I answered your question. Then I tried to direct you into what your actual question was regarding stability.

The problem is that you are wanting the answer to long arms to be different than it is.

Ok there has been no answer to long vs short arms. Ive got great shocks so maybe its something in the communication so WHAT shock advise so YOU have?

Ok there has been no answer to long vs short arms. Ive got great shocks so maybe its something in the communication so WHAT shock advise so YOU have?

What is your question? Is it about long arms or is it about stability? Because if your question is about long arms improving stability, then this is still about shocks and nothing about long arms.