Long Arm Upgrade

The glaring giant fucking flaw in your logic is he has no way to know if Jerry is correct.

How does he know you, or anyone else here is correct?

I lack direct experience with short vs long arms in a TJ, but I trust Jerry, you and others because they have years of experience in tough wheeling, unlike all the FB armchair experts.

Well I've been getting information, and am not sold on long arms, the info I've been getting since this thread is growing is look at shocks and coils, the video you saw was bullshit and here's more bullshit for you except for one man who told.his own experience and sold me on staying short. I don't want long, but I want my jeep to ride awesome for what I do and being told that what I've found on my own was bullshit and that I don't wanna listen when people aren't addressing what I asked about arm travel and not shock travel is annoying.

So I'm gonna go take the ones man advice and not bother asking for help on forums again because the shit gets toxic

Why don't you take the time to understand what truly affects ride quality and what actually can make your jeep ride awesome? Hint: shock travel, whether you like to hear about it or not, matters a lot. A whole lot. The arm length is a byproduct of mounting locations, which is determined by the suspension geometry.

There is a LOT of junk out there in terms of information. So yes, what you found on your own, is likely bullshit. And FYI, this is the same point I started from too. I made crappy assumptions, spent money and time, and got crappy results. And when that happened, I truly wanted to understand why my jeep rode like shit and finally I learned to listen to the people who actually knew their stuff. And I got pointed in the right direction. I have zero shame in admitting I was wrong.

Listen to the questions being asked in this thread. Set your emotions aside for now, and think logically. It's OK if you don't know the answers. Admitting you don't know is the 1st step to learn.

Reactions: L J and tworley
or the stranger that comes at him with some questions posed to make him feel stupid?

Why are you assuming that anyone is trying to make anyone else feel stupid?

or in you preferred way of comments on the forum

No one was trying to make him feel stupid, they/we wanted to know why he specifically wanted to "upgrade" to long arms before discussing it further as that changes the starting point. For example: It is helpful in a conversation about math to know if we are starting with basic addition or if the individual knows algebra.

The socratic answers just come across as self-aggrandizing and snarky, annoying the OP, putting them on the defensive, shifts the probability toward the OP opening door #3 and is gradually turning this place into a dumpster fire. Somehow people got the idea that people get on Google or a Jeep forum to experience a college philosophy course and that it's our job to make sure that's what they get. I don't know if they just like the smell of their own flatulence that much, they have a poor understanding of human psychology, or they just really enjoy internet drama but I have zero time for that BS.

I have said this before and I will say it again - what you wrote above is entirely all in your head. The reality is the direct opposite. If you ever actually pick up the phone and call or even just write to Blaine (or even jjvw) , you will see that he is one of the most humble people that you have ever talked to. And amongst the most helpful. I could be wrong, but you seem to be one of those that have a problem with how directed and pointed his answers are - there is no fluff, no drama, just plain facts. It is as simple as that. The truly knowledgeable folks in any field are never the ones to beat their own drum. Only the half-learned make noise. And too much noise at that that drowns out the real facts, like you see in most (crappy) youtube videos spouting utter bs.

How does he know you, or anyone else here is correct?
He doesn't which is precisely why had he spent just a few seconds pondering the answer to the shock question I asked, it would have opened his mind to understand that there is more to a suspension than the length of the arms. I didn't say anyone is correct, I gave him a method to use his own mind to arrive at his own conclusions that would be then, correct.
I lack direct experience with short vs long arms in a TJ, but I trust Jerry, you and others because they have years of experience in tough wheeling, unlike all the FB armchair experts.
Answer the question then. If someone is marketing and telling you that long arm systems inherently ride better due to arm angles, what happens if you put really really stiff shocks on it? You don't have to trust me, or Jerry, or anyone else, just ponder the question and the consequences of the very basic answer that simply refutes all the bullshit. One answer, a lifetime of knowledge.

Why would he feel stupid?

not saying he would, but that he's likely to interpret the random stranger on the internet answering his question with a question as trying to make him feel that way, because random strangers on the internet are not coming from a trusted position like that of a known person of authority on the subject, such as a teacher.

Why don't you take the time to understand what truly affects ride quality and what actually can make your jeep ride awesome? Hint: shock travel, whether you like to hear about it or not, matters a lot. A whole lot. The arm length is a byproduct of mounting locations, which is determined by the suspension geometry.

There is a LOT of junk out there in terms of information. So yes, what you found on your own, is likely bullshit. And FYI, this is the same point I started from too. I made crappy assumptions, spent money and time, and got crappy results. And when that happened, I truly wanted to understand why my jeep rode like shit and finally I learned to listen to the people who actually knew their stuff. And I got pointed in the right direction. I have zero shame in admitting I was wrong.

Listen to the questions being asked in this thread. Set your emotions aside for now, and think logically. It's OK if you don't know the answers. Admitting you don't know is the 1st step to learn.

An epiphany oftimes starts with a single question.

Reactions: psrivats
not saying he would,
You did,
but that he's likely to interpret the random stranger on the internet answering his question with a question as trying to make him feel that way, because random strangers on the internet are not coming from a trusted position like that of a known person of authority on the subject, such as a teacher.
Adding clairvoyance to your list of abilities now?

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
Why are you assuming that anyone is trying to make anyone else feel stupid?

or in you preferred way of comments on the forum

No one was trying to make him feel stupid, they/we wanted to know why he specifically wanted to "upgrade" to long arms before discussing it further as that changes the starting point. For example: It is helpful in a conversation about math to know if we are starting with basic addition or if the individual knows algebra.

whether the intent is there or not, that's the way it comes across and that's why all these threads go down in flames. More likely I suppose that the intent is really to make the responder feel smarter, elevating themselves into the position of a teacher.

What's interesting to me is that threads never go this way except on topics that a select few of our members consider themselves experts at, whether justified or not. We don't get responses like this for questions about steering wheel wraps or winch fairleads.

I'm done discussing it, until the next time I guess. You guys keep running off newcomers as usual.

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and Farmergreg
I'm very late to this "party," but, at the risk of airing too much private thought in a public forum, here are my observations as a relative newbie here (@Foof50, I'm writing this for your benefit, and @mrblaine, I mean no disrespect - your tutelage over the last 18 or 20 months is much appreciated!):
  1. Mr. Blaine (and I use the salutation because he deserves it) is an incredibly gifted engineer (yes, he is an engineer), but has a very unique way of teaching, that does turn off newcomers at times. The Socratic method is the most apropos description, so whomever of you first used that - thank you!
  2. I know when I first showed up here in the summer of 2021, my first thought was that MrBlaine is one of the most acerbic Internet personalities I've ever encountered (again, no disrespect intended, Mr. Blaine!) However, his lessons are nearly completely spot-on, every time. He ranks up there with the best engineering mentors I've ever had, and I spent a career as an engineer in professional motorsports at high levels.
  3. If you give him a wide berth, don't take his posts as personal attacks on your knowledge/abilities, and really pay attention to his underlying (and cryptic most times) message, you will be rewarded with a rapid influx of knowledge via his cryptic ways! His way is his way, and if you can embrace it, it pays off.
  4. The "piling on" that occurs here also requires thick skin, but what Internet forum is immune from that?
  5. To me, the juice is definitely worth the squeeze, meaning that if you put personal feelings aside, the knowledge you'll gain from dialogue with him is worth it.
That said, Foof50, I hope you can get through this rough patch because I think it will be very beneficial as you make your TJ your own!

ugh, ok one more, but I don't know why.

if you're gonna be intentionally pedantic you should dial up the reading comprehension.

who's he more likely to trust, the stranger that provided a respectful, detailed, experienced based response or the stranger that comes at him with some questions posed to make him feel stupid?

Adding clairvoyance to your list of abilities now?

I haven't brought up any of my abilities but the old adage that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar exists for a reason.

I'm very late to this "party," but, at the risk of airing too much private thought in a public forum, here are my observations as a relative newbie here (@Foof50, I'm writing this for your benefit, and @mrblaine, I mean no disrespect - your tutelage over the last 18 or 20 months is much appreciated!):
  1. Mr. Blaine (and I use the salutation because he deserves it) is an incredibly gifted engineer (yes, he is an engineer), but has a very unique way of teaching, that does turn off newcomers at times. The Socratic method is the most apropos description, so whomever of you first used that - thank you!
  2. I know when I first showed up here in the summer of 2021, my first thought was that MrBlaine is one of the most acerbic Internet personalities I've ever encountered (again, no disrespect intended, Mr. Blaine!) However, his lessons are nearly completely spot-on, every time. He ranks up there with the best engineering mentors I've ever had, and I spent a career as an engineer in professional motorsports at high levels.
  3. If you give him a wide berth, don't take his posts as personal attacks on your knowledge/abilities, and really pay attention to his underlying (and cryptic most times) message, you will be rewarded with a rapid influx of knowledge via his cryptic ways! His way is his way, and if you can embrace it, it pays off.
  4. The "piling on" that occurs here also requires thick skin, but what Internet forum is immune from that?
  5. To me, the juice is definitely worth the squeeze, meaning that if you put personal feelings aside, the knowledge you'll gain from dialogue with him is worth it.
That said, Foof50, I hope you can get through this rough patch because I think it will be very beneficial as you make your TJ your own!

The main difference is that between the desire to learn and the desire to be falsely applauded for your choices.

I suspect it would be easier if folks actually had any experience running a tech line. I get calls, emails, and other forms of commication daily where someone starts in with a description of what is going on starting from the first day of ownership 20 years ago. I can distill down my side of it quickly and severely curtail the extraneous bullshit with one simple question. What problem are you trying to solve? Cuts right through all the bullshit and we can have some productive time together.

Last edited:
ugh, ok one more, but I don't know why.

if you're gonna be intentionally pedantic you should dial up the reading comprehension.
To a higher or lower level than yours?
I haven't brought up any of my abilities but the old adage that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar exists for a reason.
That is fucking stupid. I have enough flies, why would I want more? Just so you know, you are but the latest in a incomprehensibly long line of fairly predictable folks who have told me to change how I do things. The very large number of years that has been going on and the length of that line should really tell you how that is going to go.

Reactions: L J
whether the intent is there or not, that's the way it comes across and that's why all these threads go down in flames. More likely I suppose that the intent is really to make the responder feel smarter, elevating themselves into the position of a teacher.

What's interesting to me is that threads never go this way except on topics that a select few of our members consider themselves experts at, whether justified or not. We don't get responses like this for questions about steering wheel wraps or winch fairleads.

I'm done discussing it, until the next time I guess. You guys keep running off newcomers as usual.

Good post.

I got to the point that I blocked people because I got tired of the condescending remarks.

Here’s the deal- I don’t care how much somebody knows or how right they are- Every human being needs to be treated with respect- And if you think you have some intelligence to impart to people one sign of intelligence is understanding that that needs to land in an open mind to do any good. I know some people don’t care if they are liked, but oddly....they sure care to be listened to. There is a relationship to all that.

People shut down when they get criticized and abused.

All that said....can I get on here and expect people to conform to my view? No. Useless to try or care probably.

Also, do I practice what I preach go around with lofty words landing on open hearts and leaving people glowing for having been blessed by my presence?😆 No. I do have some good moments, and also really channel my inner peckerhead at other times.

We have a good gang, I’m glad to to get to get on here and chime in and to learn and get ideas - so I keep coming back.

Things don’t need to be perfect to give us pleasure or value. They just need to work. This forum really does.

Last edited: