Long Arm Upgrade

Sorry, I'm still playing catch-up 🤣
petting-a-dog-on-the-head-thinkstock-87581949.jpg

I would argue that it could, but not at the amounts that we are talking about here.

If you watch the video, the narrator is flawed in his demonstration. He measures how much lateral movement the axle exhibits at droop, and then directly relates that to the lateral movement at compression in his discussion of compressing over an obstacle. However, what he fails to take into account is that the change in horizontal distance from the pivot point to the end of the arm at the position the arm is in at rest versus that when at full droop is not the same as that during compression.

Look closely at the face of an analog clock, and and look at the relative horizontal positioning of the numbers. If you focus on the 8, you can clearly see the horizontal difference between 7 and 8 is greater than that between the 8 and 9. So if your short arm is in a pseudo 8 o'clock position at rest, it will experience more lateral movement at droop than it will at compression, even if it rotates the same number of degrees.

Now, look at the vertical distance between numbers on the clock face. Notice how the vertical distance between 8 and 9 is much greater than between 8 and 7.

If the resting point of the arm is at 8, then there is much less horizontal travel when compressing than when drooping, given the same vertical movement.

Here: I made a graphic to help illustrate. Math doesn't lie.

View attachment 420110

You can compare at various points around the figure to draw your own conclusions. Look at your arms at rest, picture on the above graphic, and think of the results.

**edited for new and improved graphic for those who can't think past digital watches.

Very helpful reply. Based on what you demonstrate above, an important factor for any suspension will be the angle of the arms (of whatever length) at ride height. But I also take on board Blaine's first point regarding the materiality of the forward movement.

Very helpful reply. Based on what you demonstrate above, an important factor for any suspension will be the angle of the arms (of whatever length) at ride height. But I also take on board Blaine's first point regarding the materiality of the forward movement.

Yup, sounds like arm angle is simply not a consideration for the vast majority of jeeps.

I hate to keep this thread going, but since we're already discussing it...

The other misunderstanding I have is the claim that long arms ride better than a short arm. I've probably heard this hundreds of times at this point, from lots of folks that don't have a vested interest in it.

I don't understand how that happens, are all of them changing out worn-out shocks and bushings at the same time as the long arm install, and that's what causes the ride quality improvement?

Yup, sounds like arm angle is simply not a consideration for the vast majority of jeeps.

The other misunderstanding I have is the claim that long arms ride better than a short arm. I've probably heard this hundreds of times at this point, from lots of folks that don't have a vested interest in it.

I don't understand how that happens, are all of them changing out worn-out shocks and bushings at the same time as the long arm install, and that's what causes the ride quality improvement?

I've never really looked at long arm kits, but if they cost a lot then maybe it is some sort of pyschological effectbecause they want to convince themselves it is monet well spent?

Legitimate question, and don't flame me for asking it.

How much does this conversation change when you don't rock crawl and are only interested in going fast? I grew up around a lot of Jeepspeed builds and long/trailing arms are common. Is this more of a niche application of stretched/race jeeps?

JeepSpeed TJ.jpg

Many things often change at one time with these kits. New springs creating a changed ride height being one of them. That alone can affect how the shocks behave, new or existing.

Reactions: PNW_LJ

How much does this conversation change when you don't rock crawl and are only interested in going fast? I grew up around a lot of Jeepspeed builds and long/trailing arms are common. Is this more of a niche application of stretched/race jeeps?

View attachment 420126

Trailing arms as in shocks/coilovers attached to the control arm? That is an entirely different discussion from a bolt on long arm kit. Trailing arms start with shock tuning. Shock tuning is where a good portion of long/short arm threads really belong. But very few venture into that realm.

Reactions: psrivats and PNW_LJ

View attachment 420126
Just a thought, but on a build like you attached, I'm assuming they are running a shock much longer than our measly 10ish inches. At that point arm angles are more of a concern I would assume.

Just a thought, but on a build like you attached, I'm assuming they are running a shock much longer than our measly 10ish inches. At that point arm angles are more of a concern I would assume.

Travel ratios are of interest because this is really a shock tuning concern.

I'm skimming the last dozen pages and skipping a lot of what I assume is Andy's victimized dopey uncle schtick that he won't let me see anymore.

The angle of the arms really doesn't become relevant until the shock travel at droop from ride height is enough that the axle will walk inwards towards the middle of the rig. This is noteworthy during instances of climbing a ledge with an undercut where the tire stops going up and is forced backwards. This can tear the shock in half right before all kinds of other bits get ripped apart. Increasing the arm length can help mitigate the axle walking by improving the angle that the arms are pushing into the ledge face.

Trailing arms as in shocks/coilovers attached to the control arm?

I used the term 'long/trailing arm' to specify the build type I was referring to. I would figure these builds use long arms because with the amount of travel they are using, something has to give.

I feel like the folks saying long arms have no real world value are failing to explain that they do have a purpose, though niche.

Again though, I don't build race jeeps.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I used the term 'long/trailing arm' to specify the build type I was referring to. I would figure these builds use long arms because with the amount of travel they are using, something has to give.

I feel like the folks saying long arms have no real world value are failing to explain that they do have a purpose, though niche.

Again though, I don't build race jeeps.

Please elaborate. What has to give? I already offered one value to a longer arm with regard to axle walk. Has suspension geometry and control arm mounting points been discussed in this thread yet? Any mention of instant centers? If not, then a lot of people here aren't paying attention.

Reactions: Arthurius
What has to give? I already offered one value to a longer arm with regard to axle walk.

As you explained, travel. And specifically to my point, stability at speed.

I had not read your post at the time of my reply, but it is solid.

I suppose it is possible to have shocks dialed in for race speeds at any arm length, and wheelbase would keep things stable. But wouldn't longer arms reduce the amount of strain on the arms and their joints?

Again I'm not a builder and am more playing the role of curious dude willing to be flamed. Also just a fan of this build altogether.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/0812-4wd-1998-jeep-wrangler-desert-race-car/

The shocks we are referring to would be tuned to the rig and its intended use. The arm length being one of those things the shock tuner isn't asking about.

Arm length has no meaningful impact on the strain on the joints. Those are already reacting against the weight of the vehicle bashing into the things we drive over.

Reactions: Arthurius
There is more to that than most will admit publicly. I had a JK in with some serious non suspension related issues. I saw that it had local branded King Coil overs installed on the branded mount kit. Terrible set up, only a couple of inches of uptravel, lots of down, 2.5's on a 2 door.

I called him and asked why he spent so much on such a horrible riding suspension and don't lie. He actually told me that he enjoys everyone oooohing and aaaahing over his so very cool coil-overs. He then related that while they were indeed horrible, it was more fun to impress folks than have a good riding suspension. He also knew we didn't drive it since the t-case was still in the back cargo area in pieces.

Oh yes the Brodozer effect.

Reactions: mrblaine and Chris