Longer screws for tire rubber snubbers

98chilipepper

Just installed the morryde tailgate reinforcement on my 98 TJ, looking for where to get longer screws for the rubber snubbers as my tire is no where near it! Also is it that big of a deal if the tire isn’t firmly against it? Everything feels super solid, any help is much appreciated

Just installed the morryde tailgate reinforcement on my 98 TJ, looking for where to get longer screws for the rubber snubbers as my tire is no where near it! Also is it that big of a deal if the tire isn’t firmly against it? Everything feels super solid, any help is much appreciated
You want the tire snug against the snubbers. That's what keeps the tire from adding unwanted torque to the tailgate and damaging it. The kit should have come with spacers to extend the snubbers and longer bolts.

Ya there not long enough, I would need to use a bunch of spacers or even stack some of the old ones but then the screws are not long enough, so basically just looking where to get longer bolts

I took the factory bolts with me to the hardware store and just found something that matched.

First I find a nut that will fit onto my existing bolt to get the size and thread type and then just find a bolt that is the right length. I agree the bolts that came with my kit didn't work either.

Reactions: -T.
I took the factory bolts with me to the hardware store and just found something that matched.

First I find a nut that will fit onto my existing bolt to get the size and thread type and then just find a bolt that is the right length. I agree the bolts that came with my kit didn't work either.
Awesome thank you!

That you came here for that answer is a testament to the knowledge on this site, but it just isn’t that hard to find hardware for these and that just a small reason we buy them, because they are so damn easy to modify and repair

That you came here for that answer is a testament to the knowledge on this site, but it just isn’t that hard to find hardware for these and that just a small reason we buy them, because they are so damn easy to modify and repair
Is that what they forums are for? To help people out? Obviously you can go to a hardware store and get them, I thought maybe someone knew of a website or something that you could order them in all lengths

I'm pretty sure those locations were 1/4-20 for a while and then changed to Metric in the later years, likely 2003-2006. I am not 100% certain on that but for a 1998 I would say 1/4-20. Get phillips head screws so they will actually fit in the snubber hole.

yes, tire needs to be snug against them. This is a problem with the Morryde because using the regular TJ tire carrier at stock height will have a large tire hit the bumper. If you use the brackets to raise the tire carrier, it raises the carrier up and out which creates the too-far-from-snubber issue.

Check out @pc1p thread on the issue and how he and others have fixed it with some welding work to the stock carrier. Might be a better option for you if you are able to get the fix accomplished.

Anyone notch an Exogate?

I'm pretty sure those locations were 1/4-20 for a while and then changed to Metric in the later years, likely 2003-2006. I am not 100% certain on that but for a 1998 I would say 1/4-20. Get phillips head screws so they will actually fit in the snubber hole.

yes, tire needs to be snug against them. This is a problem with the Morryde because using the regular TJ tire carrier at stock height will have a large tire hit the bumper. If you use the brackets to raise the tire carrier, it raises the carrier up and out which creates the too-far-from-snubber issue.

Check out @pc1p thread on the issue and how he and others have fixed it with some welding work to the stock carrier. Might be a better option for you if you are able to get the fix accomplished.

Anyone notch an Exogate?
1/4-20 is very easy to find in lots of lengths for Allen socket head cap screws. So, I just take a 1/4-20 tap and run it into all of the weld nuts where I need to extend the tire snubbers. Works perfectly every single time. Bonus is you don't have to drill for the tap.

Reactions: Artsifrtsi and pc1p
I use Bolt Depot or order online and pick up in store at Grainger if you have one nearby. Hardware stores are pretty expensive, so is Grainger but sometimes they have stuff you need on clearance.
I didn't realize you could pick up bold depot orders at Grainger. Thats good to know. I hate not being able to find what I need at HD/Lowes.

i believe you are correct. Not that it matters for the OP, but later models I'm pretty sure are M6, probably M6x1.0.

I didn't find these types of fasteners to have very good availability online. When I had my '99 and was looking for longer1/4" ones, it seemed like the best options to order were packs of 20. The hardware store ended up being a better option.

Also, when I say "hardware store", I'm not talking about Lowes or Home Depot; their selections blow. If you are able to buy at Fastenal, that's the best option, next would be something like Ace Hardware, and after that would be a farm/ranch place like Tractor Supply or Big R. The nearest Grainger is 25 miles away and I have an Ace within 3 miles.

i believe you are correct. Not that it matters for the OP, but later models I'm pretty sure are M6, probably M6x1.0.

I didn't find these types of fasteners to have very good availability online. When I had my '99 and was looking for longer1/4" ones, it seemed like the best options to order were packs of 20. The hardware store ended up being a better option.

Also, when I say "hardware store", I'm not talking about Lowes or Home Depot; their selections blow. If you are able to buy at Fastenal, that's the best option, next would be something like Ace Hardware, and after that would be a farm/ranch place like Tractor Supply or Big R. The nearest Grainger is 25 miles away and I have an Ace within 3 miles.
I thought that was the case. 1/4 early on and metric later. I know for a fact some tailgate holes changed both in size and quantity. I believe for 2003+ they dropped down to 3 snubbers, changed the threads, and then changed from 5 to 4 tire carrier bolts, and changed those to metric too. The info is fuzzy though and the factory parts manual does not clear it up for me. I believe last time I needed the scoop on tailgate holes, I referred to bestop's old tire carrier instructions which did pretty good about showing the differences between tailgates over the years.

These days I rarely ever buy hardware at a Home Depot or Lowes, however I was able to get some good-enough Phillips screws in 1/4-20 screws from Home Depot years ago when I did the extensions. Normally not a fan of Phillips or slotted, but for a tire snubber Phillips was good enough for me. I'm sure a better selection and more drive options exist at a real hardware store like Ace or similar.

This is a good reminder for me that Ace/Tractor Supply/Grainger are better options. In my case, my local Ace's hardware selection isn't much better than the Lowes in town which is disappointing. When I know i need specific fasteners for a project, I've started just ordering from bolt depot, paying the shipping and getting it in a few days.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
i had this same issue a couple of weeks ago after adding a different tire/wheel and a smittybilt relocater bracket.
the threads on the original bumpstop bolt are hard to match in a hardware store.
not a long-term resolution but working for now. :)
spare04.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: PRNDL