Looking at a new to me jeep, need opinions

What about suspension and drivetrain( trans and 4x4 gear box) what do I watch for there. I really dont wanna get screwed over lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about suspension and drivetrain( trans and 4x4 gear box) what do I watch for there. I really dont wanna get screwed over lol

Pull the trans stick and look it over. Get underneath it and look around, how dirty is it? Has it been caked in mud? Any service records the current owner can provide?

As for the transfer case. I always make sure 4Hi and 4Lo works. Look over the u-joints. Have they just been replaced? Do they look like the orginals?

If you had access to a lift you could check a lot more. Maybe run it by the seller that you would like a mechanic to check it out. Even as a bluff it will allow you to gauge thier reaction.

Honestly it comes off or you will come off as weird IMO if you know alot about the vehicle being sold and the seller doesn't. They may automatically go into defense mode or feel intimidated and not want to sell it to you.

I could be way wrong here, I just always feel like they are judging me if I ask a lot of detailed questions or if I am really looking hard at all the little details under the hood and chasis in front of the seller.

#1 thing to do: Stick your finger into the frame holes, on the sides of the frame. If there's chunks of rust, as in piles of it, pass on this Jeep.

Reactions: JP98
All I will say. 4900$. If it runs good and will hold up for 3-4 years your good, and you can still get money out of it later.

Take it for a drive and see how she rolls.

Service records?
Mechanic?

Just ask. It's common.
Even if there are some problems, it'll probably be worth it. Make an offer around 4,200

I'm bringing my buddy with me who is a mechanic so he can do a look over, I'm more just concerned because four wheeler magazine says the ax-15 trans which came in TJs pre 2000 had syncro issues...

I'm bringing my buddy with me who is a mechanic so he can do a look over, I'm more just concerned because four wheeler magazine says the ax-15 trans which came in TJs pre 2000 had syncro issues...

The ax-15 is a solid trans. Run Redline MT-90 in it and you will be good.

Reactions: fourpointzero

Four Wheeler magazine also says cold air intakes add horsepower to the TJ's engine...just sayin'...

Check the rear main oil seal as well. You can see it from underneath if you slide up under the Jeep and look between the engine and transmission. Very common problem and can be expensive to fix, even with the split seal. It's not horrible to do diy, but it can take some time and effort.

I never bought it, first place I checked was the frame near back tires and it was really rusty so I didn't bother with anything else and left haha