Looking at getting my first ever wrangler! I need your help!

Oh man... walk away from that thing. Way too much rust under there!!! Huge red flag!

Not to mention that I'm assuming it's a 07-11 JK? If so, it has the dreaded, horrible, and very problem prone 3.8 minivan engine. I wouldn't touch a JK unless it was a 2012+ with the 3.6 Pentastar engine. But I certainly wouldn't touch that thing with all the rust. There's a reason they are offloading that for so cheap.

that seals it dude. thank you Chris. I thought so too it's really troublesome to find s good one man. this is a more expensive one I'm looking at that would be a reach

IMG_3636.jpg

IMG_3635.jpg

IMG_3634.jpg

that seals it dude. thank you Chris. I thought so too it's really troublesome to find s good one man. this is a more expensive one I'm looking at that would be a reach

Yep, JKs aren't bad by any means, but if you're going to get one, you really, really, really want a 2012+. That minivan engine in the earlier JKs is prone to all sorts of issues, and severely underpowered. The 3.6 in the newer JKs is a much better engine.

For a clean JK you're going to spend at least 20k. You'll probably have better luck finding a TJ for less money, but a clean one at that. They exist, you just have to take your time and find one that someone cared about.

Reactions: StG58
And the steering in our TJ's are loose by the design of the steering linkage. Almost a dead spot if you will in the wheel.

I'm curious on this; being a relatively new owner of my TJ, which sits on 33" ProComp ATs. The steering I have found definitely has a weird "feel" - it honestly feels (especially at speeds over 40 mph) like I am having to constantly "nudge" as I drive. That is, it feels like it wants to wander...not that it is pulling or anything like that, just that I have to constantly steer it.

Part of me feels or thinks I need a new stabilizer. I just want the steering to be stiffer. I am considering putting in a dual stabilizer system (not sure which if I go that route). I've heard though that doing this might make it pull.

Is there any solution? It gets real tiring driving it for long distances; today I drove to and from a hamfest by the freeway, about 30 miles each way. It felt like I was driving my old 79 Bronco with it's janky steering.

Maybe it's just something I have to live with...

I'm curious on this; being a relatively new owner of my TJ, which sits on 33" ProComp ATs. The steering I have found definitely has a weird "feel" - it honestly feels (especially at speeds over 40 mph) like I am having to constantly "nudge" as I drive. That is, it feels like it wants to wander...not that it is pulling or anything like that, just that I have to constantly steer it.

Part of me feels or thinks I need a new stabilizer. I just want the steering to be stiffer. I am considering putting in a dual stabilizer system (not sure which if I go that route). I've heard though that doing this might make it pull.

Is there any solution? It gets real tiring driving it for long distances; today I drove to and from a hamfest by the freeway, about 30 miles each way. It felt like I was driving my old 79 Bronco with it's janky steering.

Maybe it's just something I have to live with...
A new steering stabilizer will not fix any steering issues, but may in fact worsen them by masking them somewhat. Also, a dual stabilizer does nothing unless you are riding on 40"+ tires, and are a waste of money.

Reactions: StG58
A new steering stabilizer will not fix any steering issues, but may in fact worsen them by masking them somewhat. Also, a dual stabilizer does nothing unless you are riding on 40"+ tires, and are a waste of money.

Ultimately I just want to stiffen up the steering, if I can - if it's possible. AFAIK, the stabilizer that's on it is the original, and is shot. It's something I need to look it, but if it is bad - well, a new one can't hurt in that case - and may actually make things a bit better (I know on my old Bronco that putting in a new stabilizer did help things a lot).

I'm certainly not looking to mask anything, but honestly other than it feeling "loose", it steers perfectly. It steers exactly where and when you turn the wheel, no slop, nothing like that - it just feels like its too "easy" to steer. I'm just not sure how to explain it. Certainly not like any other vehicle I have driven, except for my old Bronco when I had it. I'm not sure why it feels like that; my VehiCROSS on 32s feels like I'm driving any other kind of vehicle - nice and stiff steering.

That's what I want. I may not be able to get it, but it's what I want.

Check the toe in, there's a how to here on the sight for that.

If you're lifted, the caster may be a little out of whack as well, but it's a little harder to do something about. The proper caster starts fighting proper driveline angles at some point. Make sure that driveline angles win.

Reactions: bobthetj03