Looking for 4" lift options for my 99 TJ

mthornt

Hi all, I live in Issaquah Wa and I'm looking into lifting my 99 TJ. I was thinking about 4" suspension lift so I can go off road if I want but I will be driving on the road mainly. Looking for a place near me that knows what they're doing and ballpark cost

Thanks

Reactions: JMT
Hi all, I live in Issaquah Wa and I'm looking into lifting my 99 TJ. I was thinking about 4" suspension lift so I can go off road if I want but I will be driving on the road mainly. Looking for a place near me that knows what they're doing and ballpark cost

Thanks
As everyone else is pointing out it is better to match a lift to the terrain you will be going on.

A 4" lift will get expensive really quick. There is a lot more to it than just buying a kit and bolting it on. To do it right you'll likely need an SYE, new rear drive shaft, adjustable control arms, etc. To have a shop do all the work it is going to be pricey.

A jeep with a 2 inch lift/1.25 body lift and 33s will not only be a lot cheaper to build but also extremely capable. Not to mention installing a 2-inch lift and body lift could fairly easily in a driveway with a basic set of tools.

Take a look at @JMT's build. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/05-flame-red-tj-build.3998/

His jeep is extremely capable walked up all the trails we went on in Moab with ease.

@JMT 2021.....

• Love
What tire size are you thinking about?
I dont have a clue yet. I'm just starting to get info. I've seen some Jeeps around the area that I like the look of so I'll start seeing what they are using. I have never been off road but would like to see what I'm missing. I also like the look

Thanks
Thanks to @Alex01 for mentioning my build. I’ve just arrived in WA. If I were closer we could build your rig, but I’m in Spokane. I’ve been told you can run any trail in WA on 33’s. IDK about Rimrock though, looks difficult.

I originally was on 2.5” and 31’s, then added a spacer to 3” up front, 2.5” rear and a 1.25” body lift and 1” MML. Regear and lockers. Other minor mods but stock Control arms. It is very capable. Sits like this.
6596D46E-82BE-492F-9E5D-C7CDE79B41B8.jpeg

The best/most problem-free way to get 4" of lift is with a 3" suspension lift plus a 1" to 1.25" body lift. Zone makes a good low cost 4.25" kit with a 3" suspension lift plus a 1.25" body lift. Fewer problems and lower cost than going with a 4" suspension lift which introduces drivetrain angle issues that aren't inexpensive to take care of.

The best/most problem-free way to get 4" of lift is with a 3" suspension lift plus a 1" to 1.25" body lift. Zone makes a good low cost 4.25" kit with a 3" suspension lift plus a 1.25" body lift. Fewer problems and lower cost than going with a 4" suspension lift which introduces drivetrain angle issues that aren't inexpensive to take care of.
With this set up you can run 33's which look very good on a TJ. You don't need to go any higher unless you plan on running 35's, which opens up a whole new set of mod's and a whole lot more $$$.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I would suggest finding out if you like and want to do more offroading before you start to throw money at your Jeep. When you see a wrangler you like in a parking lot of a coffee shop or laundry mat stop and chat with the owner. Trust me. We can go on and on and on and on about our rides. Ask if they know a good local area that they go to and if you could join them some time. I bet 9 out of ten will be happy to help you out with any questions. Take your Jeep and find out. As long as you have good tread on the tires you will be amazed what a stock Jeep can do. You may find out you want low and lockers. Or high and 40's. Do this first. Enjoy yourself and learn what you want. Steering and brakes are the first things to get right.

It is also worthwhile to think about the differences between fashion and function. The two don't always fit together very well. That is a good reason to see what the Jeep can do right now. Get stuck (with a safe way out) and understand why and how to prevent it in the future.