Looking for a capable DD with support

Ahoragi

TJ Addict
Story goes like this:

I own two jeeps. I spend too much on two jeeps. I'm always fixing two jeeps.

So....one or possibly both are going to new owners and I got a $8k budget to find a capable, fun, and reliable rig with a good aftermarket support but this time it won't be a jeep.

Requirements:

Can't be too old, preferrably 00-09.
Good gas mileage 15-20+
Must be able to run a rear locker
Must have a common bolt pattern (aftermarket wheels and tires)
Must be reliable (no major common drivetrain issues)

I am most likely going to fly south and drive back so it's rust-free.

What would you buy?

If I were to get out of Jeep's, I'd probably get a Toyota. Tacoma's and 4runners are popular here, and they are very capable rigs. Aftermarket is good, but a lot more expensive than it is for a Jeep.

If I were to get out of Jeep's, I'd probably get a Toyota. Tacoma's and 4runners are popular here, and they are very capable rigs. Aftermarket is good, but a lot more expensive than it is for a Jeep.
It's hard to find a tacoma or 4runner with low-ish miles in my price range. Those are at the top of my list though.

I only have plans for mud terrains and a rear locker. Maybe a winch if decent bumpers are available. Other than that it's staying stock with the exception of some nice shocks.

Reactions: derekmac
Question - does the $8k budget come from the sale of the two Jeeps, or does that money not figure into the equation? I ask because $8k doesn't give you much to work with toward a 'capable' or 'reliable' end result.

Also, you didn't specify if you plan to stay with 4x4, but a Tacoma Prerunner can have a rear locker.

Last edited:
Question - does the $8k budget come from the sale of the two Jeeps, or does that money not figure into the equation? I ask because $8k doesn't give you much to work with toward a 'capable' or 'reliable' end result.

Also, you didn't specify if you plan to stay with 4x4, but a Tacoma Prerunner can have a rear locker.

The $8k is in my account. The sale of the jeep(s) will factor in afterwards. I can't sell them till I get another vehicle. I got someone lined up for the XJ with 2 grand and will use it as a plow vehicle. I am not 100% sure if I will sell the TJ yet. It's just way too much fun in the summer.

I don't expect a perfect working vehicle and do expect to fix a thing or two here and there if needed. A Toyota or other reliable manufacturer with some miles and no off road abuse would go a whole lot longer than my jeeps have been the past couple years. I just sunk almost a grand into my XJ and it still needs more and then the TJ pops a brake line, has a broken manifold bolt/leak, and is rusting.

Must have 4x4 to get up my driveway.

I will not be abusing this "new" DD but I like to have it capable with a locker, aggressive tires, and a winch if a situation ever arrises (and they do from time to time). For instance I got stuck a few times in the snow, in my driveway, and hauled/winched some folks out of stucky situations.

If I couldn't own a TJ, I would own a 1998-2004 Toyota Tacoma. Easily one of the (if not the most) bullet proof vehicle on the planet (did you ever see where Top Gear tried to destroy one and absolutely couldn't?), great aftermarket support, and all around a great looking vehicle.

Sell the XJ ...
Fix the TJ .... as you said "It's just way too much fun ..... "
You won't be able to buy much with the $8k that won't need fixing of some type ...
Just a suggestion ....

I'm no longer driving the TJ in the winter. All the salt is causing it to rust and I hate dealing with that.

If I couldn't own a TJ, I would own a 1998-2004 Toyota Tacoma. Easily one of the (if not the most) bullet proof vehicle on the planet (did you ever see where Top Gear tried to destroy one and absolutely couldn't?), great aftermarket support, and all around a great looking vehicle.
Agreed. I currently own a 2013 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road, and my prior Tacoma was a 2002 version of the same truck. Although the 2013 is bigger, more powerful/comfortable/capable, that '02 was one of the best vehicles I ever had. The right size, locking rear diff, 4x4...the only thing it didn't have was access cab doors that opened...plus it got about 19 mpg around town, 23-25 mpg on the highway with the 3.4L V6.

Agreed. I currently own a 2013 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road, and my prior Tacoma was a 2002 version of the same truck. Although the 2013 is bigger, more powerful/comfortable/capable, that '02 was one of the best vehicles I ever had. The right size, locking rear diff, 4x4...the only thing it didn't have was access cab doors that opened...plus it got about 19 mpg around town, 23-25 mpg on the highway with the 3.4L V6.

Yep, that 98-04 Tacoma is the best Tacoma ever made I believe. It's also small enough to do well off-road, unlike the newer ones which are a bit too big to get into some of the smaller trails.

I love a nice Tacoma, just not enough to sell my TJ for one, I'd miss it way too much!

BTW, I make you a promise... You WILL miss the TJ if you sell it. I would bet you money on that. Nothing can replace a Wrangler.

BTW, I make you a promise... You WILL miss the TJ if you sell it. I would bet you money on that. Nothing can replace a Wrangler.

I sold my first TJ for the XJ and drove that for about 6 years. I did not really miss the TJ that much maybe because I still had a JEEP but once I got my current TJ I literally abandoned the XJ. lol

I will start searching for a Tacoma. I'm guessing that since they are very reliable and strong vehicles that I shouldn't worry too much if it's approaching or passed 100k? It would probably be difficult to find one under that in my price range.

Reactions: Chris
I sold my first TJ for the XJ and drove that for about 6 years. I did not really miss the TJ that much maybe because I still had a JEEP but once I got my current TJ I literally abandoned the XJ. lol

I will start searching for a Tacoma. I'm guessing that since they are very reliable and strong vehicles that I shouldn't worry too much if it's approaching or passed 100k? It would probably be difficult to find one under that in my price range.
Yeah, you'd be hard pressed to find one under 100k on the clock these days, but anything's possible. The Tacoma forum I visit has multiple threads of owners exceeding 300k on the odometer by the original owners.

Good luck on finding one with under 100k! Don't stress though, those 3.4 V6 engines can easily, easily go to 300k or more. If you find one that has been properly maintained, over 100k won't be an issue at all.

But I will say, your price range is not realistic. A nice 98-04 Tacoma in these parts will go for 14-22k, not even kidding.

They hold their value just as well as Wranglers do!