Looking for advice on affordable lift kits

Hwy12s

2006 Jeep Wrangler Limited LJ 6 speed, 6 cylinder. My LJ is strictly used when off road on beach sand. Some snow, but not often. (Virginia)
I looking for advice on an affordable lift kit. Looking for 2-4 inch lift.I am not looking to change drive shafts, etc but would consider shocks and springs. LJ has 90K miles. Current tires BF Goodrich TA 32x11.50 R 15LT.....and really don't want to change. All I'm looking for is a noticeable lift, tired of being the "shorty on HWY12S. I'm 65 years old, on my 4th and probably last wrangler. l will always consider myself a surfer, but that's my problem Done some Mods on my own, but might consider hiring this one out......Time to hear it guys and gals...... be gentle

I LOVE my Zone. Paid $400 years ago. Used on lots of moderate and light trails in New England. Also my daily driver. Added 33's and perfection. Looks great, been on her since 2014 and 30k miles and still solid.
if you just do their 2 inch suspension, you'll be fine. I have the LJR, so I didn't need a SYE when the body lift went in (I did the suspension first followed by the body lift about a year later)
I will say, the suspension lift was a bear. Like I say, NE winters and salt made hardware removal a religious experience. PB Blast and a MAP torch a bare minimum I'd suggest.

https://zoneoffroad.com/products/425-in-combo-lift-kit-1997-2006-jeep-wrangler-tj

If all you want to do is stay with a 32" tire (which is a fine choice), I would suggest piecing a lift together using OME or BDS 2" springs and Rancho RS5000X shocks. This can be done for very cheap, and it will look good, fit the 32s perfectly, and by no means whatsoever break the bank.

put 2" in the suspension and if you want a tad more go for a 1-1.25" body lift. that'll get you up a little and shouldn't give the jeep grief.

you put 4" on it and you'll want bigger wheels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cornbread
If I had an LJ I would want at least 4 inch lift and 33s and would do what it took to get it there.

Reactions: rasband
If all I was doing was driving on sand I would probably leave it stock and run 31s lol

If all you want to do is stay with a 32" tire (which is a fine choice), I would suggest piecing a lift together using OME or BDS 2" springs and Rancho RS5000X shocks. This can be done for very cheap, and it will look good, fit the 32s perfectly, and by no means whatsoever break the bank.
Thank you, I'm much obliged!

Reactions: Chris
Im running that same size in K02...
I installed the Rancho 2.5” lift that accommodates up to 33s... paired it with 5000x and am super happy and it was very affordable.

If you truly just are looking to keep your 32" tires and make the Jeep look a little taller and have no offroad aspirations beyond the beach sand I would suggest this route:

$100 - 1.25" body lift

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QCCGYHG/?tag=wranglerorg-20

$80 - 1.75" spring spacers (2 sets of 2 needed)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GH5OCA/?tag=wranglerorg-20

$60 - 1" motor mount spacer

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2AEIU0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Keep your stock springs, shocks, and every other stock part. For $240 + tax and any shipping you'll achieve your objective. This is basic driveway installation type stuff. You may end up 6 to 8 hours of shop time if you hire it out.

Reactions: JMT
Some great options mentioned in this thread.
Zone, OME, BDS

BODY LIFT

Easy peasy

Zone 4.25" combo lift. I've run it on a few of my Jeeps.
DARK BLUE JEEP2 (20.jpg

Reactions: verf
If it's just for the beach I would go with a spring spacer kit. You probably could get away with 1 or 1 1/2" pucks and keep your shocks and everything else. Just be aware that any sort of spring lift will require an alignment be done afterwards. Cheap, easy, and you keep your stock ride. Add a body lift if you need/want any more height.

Reactions: RMETeeJay
Agree with @1J4FY and @Goatman to keep it simple and do a spacer lift for your intended use.

Also, since you're targeting beach sand, I'd also do some preemptive rust treatment and prevention on your frame and always give it a good wash after wheeling in the sand.

2nd this. I ran a used 2" OME lift I got of eBay (yes...used) for 5 or 6 years. No idea how old it was when I bought it. Guessing 3 years old. With 33s. Had a little rub on left turn lock. Ride was a zillion times better than stock. Shocks and springs never sagged or got soft over that time. And that's in winter salt-belt roads. Didn't look the greatest when I took them off, but I bet with a cleanup and powder coat the springs would look good as new. Had to hack the shocks off due to rusty mounting bolts, but otherwise they were in street-able shape.

It was an easy install. Hardest part was drilling the hole for the track bar relocation bracket in the rear, but even that wasn't a big deal. Would definitely go OME again for that range of lift.

You have to get longer shocks with any suspension lift.
... including a 1.75" spacer lift? Since the OP has stated he is on a budget, what is the harm with running the stock shocks until they need replacing.

OP, forgot to mention in my earlier reply that you may need to lengthen the bumpstops so as to not over compress the springs. If you still wanting to keep things cheap you can drill and tap the lower spring pads and bolt a hockey puck at each corner. For a little money you can purchase a more refined solution.

Will this work later with a 1-1.5 body lift? and do the 2 inch springs and shocks equal to a 2 inch lift....Don't laugh

Will this work later with a 1-1.5 body lift? and do the 2 inch springs and shocks equal to a 2 inch lift....Don't laugh

Absolutely. A body lift won't affect your shocks or springs whatsoever, it's just lifting the body 1" off the frame.