Looking for heavy rubber floor mats and sound dampening material

Ehallspqr

Looking for a set of mats and cargo liner for my TJ. Most seem to be that hard plastic material with deep construction to catch water. I removed my carpet and LINE-X the tub and the the harder plastic ones slide around to much. So looking at the older style thick rubber ones that grip better. Also a thicker material may help deaden vibration and tub honing from my Magnaflow exhaust. Anyone using a mat that is the rubber thicker old style?

Agreed, I want something they is like the OEM rubber mat from a new work truck.... Not just a mud catcher.

Shouldn't have to try to cut our own custom out of an anti fatigue mat etc.

But if you have to a rubber horse stall mat is thick and heavy duty.

I just rust converted and under coated sprayed mine and looking too.

Reactions: Ehallspqr
That might be the answer. The plastic ones I had slid around way to much on the slick Line-x so I sold them. Husky mats seem to be more of the softer rubberized material or even some cheap universal fit from autoZone that I can trim to fit. There are number of companies making custom fit liners for the TJ but most descriptions don’t clearly state exactly what type of material used. Most seem to be the rigid harder plastic material though. I read on another Jeep forum people using a heavy rubber garage mat and trimming it to fit. It was mentioned that the thick rubber helped with sound deadening.

Trimming a horse or garage comfort rubber mat is an option. Just looking for a custom fit ones first before going with trying to modify something. I’m lazy

I seem to remember the old Mopar ones being a thicker rubber material. I know their new ones are now using a harder plastic material like everyone else

I’m curious about WeatherTech floor mats. Their website says they remain flexible but I’d rather hear a review from a forum member who uses them.

Why not just put the carpeting back in over the top of the lining? I tried removing my carpeting a couple times but now just leave it in for its good heat and sound insulation properties.

I’m curious about WeatherTech floor mats. Their website says they remain flexible but I’d rather hear a review from a forum member who uses them.
I’ve got them in our cars and all of the weather tech stuff stays flexible. It’s not super thick so at best it’s just going to replicate having the carpet for noise abatement but the cleaning aspect is superior.

Reactions: RussTJ
Weather Tech are the TPE hard plastic. I hear they are thicker and good fit exc but are not the more flexible rubber material. Husky is about the only one that I know is more rubber based material.

Thought about putting the carpet back in and may do that until I find something. The problem is it’s muddy where we wheel and I trash carpets, hence the Line-X. The carpets in my Jeep where mint, It was a pavement queen. Not that I care that much about the carpets but I took them out to preserve them.

Ebay has all sorts of mats that are cheap and thick rubber. Universal fit so some trimming involved.

Why not drill a small hole and use a bolt to hold them? I trimmed mine around my cage and they stay real nice.

The problem with the hard plastic (TPE) liners is they are slick and the Line-X is slippery also. Kind of a plastic on plastic situation. I considered using some heavy duty Velcro to keep it stationary but the liner was also vibrating against the tub causing a buzzing sound. Carpet normally dampens this but I have removed it after Line-X’ing the tub.

I threw the heavy rubber mat from my wife’s Honda into the Jeep just to see how it would do. It grips much better to the Line-X and the thickness and dampening of the rubber material should help a little with sound. The thing weighs about 5 pounds and should help dampen the vibes just from that much rubber in contact with the floor.

I have a full case of Hush-Matt laying around from sound deadening my Sprinter van. Stuff works amazingly well. Not sure if water and dirt would affect it long term. The Jeep will really get muddy from wheeling and I like being able to pull the drain plugs and hose it out.

I ended up buying a new set of Mopar front/rear heavy rubber slush mats from the bay of evil today. $66 bucks. Not as fancy as Weather Tech or Husky but should do the trick and much cheaper. I think I will also order a Husky rubber cargo liner from Quadratec. Husky makes a exact fit version to fit my 05 TJ.

Whew! Who knew getting a set of rubber mats would be so difficult. Everyone is selling the hard plastic ones instead of rubber material these days. Thanks for everyone that chimed in. I will be back to pick your brains about control arms. Crazy selection of brands and competing claims concerning which joints are the best.

Be careful , thick mats can catch the pedals man .

Remember , the problem with being a pioneer is they often end up with arrows in their backs.

Used Rugged Ridge Mats in the front on mine, and with the rear seat out cut one of these to fit the back. Wow, does it deaden sound back there!

Horse stall, 3/4" rubber mats. They're indestructible! You'll need to let them gas-off a few days before putting in your Jeep, as the rubber smell is intense at first.

They're great for my dogs in the back of the Jeep, and NOTHING slides around on them!

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4-ft-x-6-ft-x-3-4-in-thick-rubber-stall-mat?cm_vc=-10005

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Ehallspqr
A horse mat or garage comfort mat are plan B. Good to know it works deadening the sound and probably stays in place like it’s glued

Looking for a set of mats and cargo liner for my TJ. Most seem to be that hard plastic material with deep construction to catch water. I removed my carpet and LINE-X the tub and the the harder plastic ones slide around to much. So looking at the older style thick rubber ones that grip better. Also a thicker material may help deaden vibration and tub honing from my Magnaflow exhaust. Anyone using a mat that is the rubber thicker old style?
I was reading this thread and happened to think of the lloyds rubber mats I bought for a corvette I use to have They have 2 different kinds of rubber mats and cargo liners with options for 1 or 2 piece rears. This link is to a set of front and 1 piece rears in the Northridge version

https://www.lloydmatsstore.com/northridge-floor-mats?q=design

I was thinking about trying the quadratec brand ones, I have the same issue with the Line-X being to slippery but don't want carpet.

The weathertech "regular" matts are a very soft rubber - not to be confused with the form fitting ones. Death to carpet!

Did you ever find a set of floor mats

Did you ever find a set of floor mats
I got these for Christmas. They are pricey but they don’t move at all and really do a good job of catching water. They are Lloyd mats. I have used their mats for years.

74EE7797-DBA7-4424-A537-04C363421B22.jpegA3057AFD-C862-42A6-AF1F-CB8F2151A20A.jpeg