Looking for new or rebuilt throttle body (chasing vacuum leak)

Rescue6

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I’m in need of a new or a rebuilt throttle body. Anyone have a good source. Ive been chasing a damn vacuum leak and finally said screw it and have just replaced everything I could think of. And it’s gotten better but still not fixed to my liking. It is sporadic, some days it will idle fine others it’s 1500. And the vents don’t work right and it blows from only defrost. So I know it’s a vacuum issue. I have smoke tested it multiple times without ever finding but two leaks. One was fixed in the AC harness but I the replaced with new factory lines the other was the TB throttle linkage. I have replaced every vacuum line in the engine bay, the vacuum box under the battery, the A/C vacuum switch and hoses, the brake booster hose, the canister purge harness lines, the PCV elbow and lines and rubber ends. I’ve replaced the the intake and exhaust gasket, and smoke tested it again and smoke is now pushing out of the throttle linkage shaft. Were before it was coming out of the A/C line by the firewall also. Even though I got it patched with rubber hose and it no longer smoked I was still having issues with high and irrational idle. I have cleaned the IAC and housing, it’s got a six month old Mopar TPS in it already, so I’m now going to swap the TB. Any place to look for a good TB

I’ve cleaned it and the housing. Still would happen. Then replaced it with one on my other Jeep for a few days and it still was happening. So I ruled that out.
Sorry. I skimmed throug the post and didn't see where you said you cleaned the IAC.
When the Throttle body leaks it is usaully at the shaft, and you will get a whistle.
You are saying that the hvac will only blow out of the defrost?
I would go back to removing the battery and tray so you can gain access to the vacumm line going into the vehicle.
I would then install a vacuum tester on that line and see if you can draw and hold vacuum.

Sorry. I skimmed throug the post and didn't see where you said you cleaned the IAC.
When the Throttle body leaks it is usaully at the shaft, and you will get a whistle.
You are saying that the hvac will only blow out of the defrost?
I would go back to removing the battery and tray so you can gain access to the vacumm line going into the vehicle.
I would then install a vacuum tester on that line and see if you can draw and hold vacuum.
I’ll give it a shot. I’ve replaced the line from the manifold to the box on under the battery and to the T that goes through the firewall. And the line that goes through the firewall itself. But don’t mind trying to pull and hold a vacuum on it that’s easy. This thing is getting really annoying. Like I said some days it’s fine. Or at least fine for part of the day. And others it is constant. I thought it was the IAC too at first. But with the vent issues at the same time as the idle issues it’s gotta be vacuum at least from my experience

I’ll give it a shot. I’ve replaced the line from the manifold to the box on under the battery and to the T that goes through the firewall. And the line that goes through the firewall itself. But don’t mind trying to pull and hold a vacuum on it that’s easy. This thing is getting really annoying. Like I said some days it’s fine. Or at least fine for part of the day. And others it is constant. I thought it was the IAC too at first. But with the vent issues at the same time as the idle issues it’s gotta be vacuum at least from my experience
I agree, sounds like a vacuum leak.

Bad brake booster?
I guess it’s possible but it doesn’t matter if I’m on or off the brakes that it’s a high idle and the brakes don’t feel any different but I’ll see if I can adapt some hoses and pull a vacuum on that separately as well

Reactions: D M
Found a throttle body with supposedly 39k miles on it on a junk yard site out of NM. So it’s ordered. Hopefully it has less of a leaky shaft than mine does now. Even if that doesn’t fix it.

Found a throttle body with supposedly 39k miles on it on a junk yard site out of NM. So it’s ordered. Hopefully it has less of a leaky shaft than mine does now. Even if that doesn’t fix it.

Did you end up solving this issue?