Looking for some advice on a potential 2003 Rubicon purchase

Rubicon Cube

Hi Everyone,

First, I've read through several threads and have learned a lot, so thanks for that.

Short story:
Got a 2021 Cherokee Trailhawk because I wanted to do some off-roading. Very capable vehicle, but I learned 3 things:
1. Not enough ground clearance;
2. Too shiny and new - made me afraid of tree branches;
3. The serious off-roaders in the 4x4 club I joined seems politely annoyed when I join them.

I loved the time exploring mountain trails with the Cherokee, but I just don't want to beat up my daily driver, and branches squeeling across the paint are too scary for me. I realized I need something built more for the reality of off-roading, and that's also older with existing scars, that I can use just for this purpose.

I'm going to look at a 2003 Inca Gold Jeep Rubicon today. It has 239k km/145k miles. If I get it, this will be my first dedicated off-roader.

This Jeep has 35" tires and, according to the seller's description: a 4.5" long arm lift 3 link front 4 link rear. Seller says that the front locker light flashes but he thinks is just the sensor cable (I'm taking this with a very large grain of salt). He also says something about a "rebuilt heavy-duty steering box ported for hydro assist" - does this make sense to anyone?

I've read though several threads on this site and I respect the collective experience and knowledge here. As a complete newbie on this subject I have a few questions.

1. One of the main issues I've gleaned from my reading is that the main weakness on the rear locker is the LSD. I didn't find a solution for this in the threads I read and I'm curious if it is is possible to swap out the stock LSD with an Eaton TrueTrac LSD so I can have the best of both worlds: locker AND LSD. If it is do-able, would the Truetrac solve the stock LSD weakness of the rear locker?

2. How do I confirm that the 4x4 system is working and that the front/rear lockers are working without lifting wheels off the ground?

3. And a general question: Anything common issues I should look for on this 2003 Rubicon when I go look at it this afternoon aside from the obvious like rust?

A big thanks in advance, and also a big thanks on all the comments about the lockers. I will use what I've learned so far to trouble shoot the front locker flashing light.

This is the beast (The seller is asking $14,000 CAD for it):

00K0K_blwOOjuGk15z_0CI0t2_600x450_exposure.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Darsmith
Hi Everyone,

First, I've read through several threads and have learned a lot, so thanks for that.

Short story:
Got a 2021 Cherokee Trailhawk because I wanted to do some off-roading. Very capable vehicle, but I learned 3 things:
1. Not enough ground clearance;
2. Too shiny and new - made me afraid of tree branches;
3. The serious off-roaders in the 4x4 club I joined seems politely annoyed when I join them.

I loved the time exploring mountain trails with the Cherokee, but I just don't want to beat up my daily driver, and branches squeeling across the paint are too scary for me. I realized I need something built more for the reality of off-roading, and that's also older with existing scars, that I can use just for this purpose.

I'm going to look at a 2003 Inca Gold Jeep Rubicon today. It has 239k km/195k miles. If I get it, this will be my first dedicated off-roader.

This Jeep has 35" tires and, according to the seller's description: a 4.5" long arm lift 3 link front 4 link rear. Seller says that the front locker light flashes but he thinks is just the sensor cable (I'm taking this with a very large grain of salt). He also says something about a "rebuilt heavy-duty steering box ported for hydro assist" - does this make sense to anyone?

I've read though several threads on this site and I respect the collective experience and knowledge here. As a complete newbie on this subject I have a few questions.

1. One of the main issues I've gleaned from my reading is that the main weakness on the rear locker is the LSD. I didn't find a solution for this in the threads I read and I'm curious if it is is possible to swap out the stock LSD with an Eaton TrueTrac LSD so I can have the best of both worlds: locker AND LSD. If it is do-able, would the Truetrac solve the stock LSD weakness of the rear locker?

2. How do I confirm that the 4x4 system is working and that the front/rear lockers are working without lifting wheels off the ground?

3. And a general question: Anything common issues I should look for on this 2003 Rubicon when I go look at it this afternoon aside from the obvious like rust?

A big thanks in advance, and also a big thanks on all the comments about the lockers. I will use what I've learned so far to trouble shoot the front locker flashing light.

This is the beast (The seller is asking $14,000 CAD for it):

View attachment 311184
1) A Rubicon is a very capable vehicle out of the box

2) Bolt-on long arm kits are not a very good suspension system.

3) Hydro assist is coveted for turning big 35" tires, especially on the rocks. This rig sounds like it is ready for you to add a hydro assist.

4) A TrueTrac is not a locker. It is a Limited Slip Differential. Good for snow.

5) To test the 4x4 system. just follow the manual for how to use the TCAse selector for 4H, then 4L. Also test the lockers by following the manual's instructions.

6) Nothing besides rust to really look for.

7) I don't like those flares, but that's an easy fix

8) The Rubicon lockers are good, but they do have weaknesses and an aftermarket E-Locker or ARB are stronger. It would not deter me though. I'd just wheel it till it broke and then replace with an E-Locker.

A 2003 Rubicon is a good year. A good way to not nave problems with the LSD that is part of the rear locker is to lock the locker when going on more difficult offroad trails.

That 4.5" long-arm sounds like it's a Rubicon Express which is what I screwed up and installed into my previous TJ. It works ok but long arm suspension designs are generally not good performers.

Personally I'd go for it, a 2003 Rubicon is a good model and you wouldn't have to hang your head in shame like you did with your Trailhawk lol. And $14 Canadian sounds like a bargain price to me so long as its undersides aren't rusted badly. I don't know if Canada salts its roads or not but do closely examine it from underneath.

Reactions: Rockwalker
That's a VERY rare color for a Rubicon, only 212 Rubicons total were made in that color.

The main thing to be looking for is frame rust.
There's a Inca Gold TJR for sale up here by me. Asking price $18k. I believe it has about 200,000 miles on the clock.

Bit high considering the miles...

3rd Jeep?!?!
4th. 🤣

I am looking for one. I looked at a patriot blue the other day. It was crap. Frame was the worst I've seen. It wouldn't fall apart, but it will one day. I looked at a flame red a day or two after that. The body was dented, scratched, horrible. It was a rubi and 14K asking. NO. I wouldn't pay $8k for it. Interior was crap. Soft top was crap. Nothing really good except the axles and TCase. 🙄

Reactions: thekidwithquestions
4th. 🤣

I am looking for one. I looked at a patriot blue the other day. It was crap. Frame was the worst I've seen. It wouldn't fall apart, but it will one day. I looked at a flame red a day or two after that. The body was dented, scratched, horrible. It was a rubi and 14K asking. NO. I wouldn't pay $8k for it. Interior was crap. Soft top was crap. Nothing really good except the axles and TCase. 🙄
Good luck looking! What would the plans be for this potential 4th Jeep?

Good luck looking! What would the plans be for this potential 4th Jeep?
If it's Intense Blue Pearl TJ or TJR it would be for ME. It would be built for 32's on 1.5" + 1.25" lift with SYE and DC, Savvy adjustable arms, Savvy MUA, Savvy GTS, flipped ZJ TR, adjustable TB in the rear, always a question up front, raised body mounts, rear frame tuck, hopefully auto transmission. Proper gearing and e-lockers. Big Red would be a trail only rig, but I would wheel the Electric Blue one too.

If it's any other color it would be for one of the TWINS. Built for 33's on 2.5" + 1.25" with 1"MML, raised GTS, rear frame tuck, chopped stock bumpers, simple stuff to make it functional.

If it's an LJ or LJR, don't ask!

Last edited:
If it's Electric Blue TJ or TJR it would be for ME. It would be built for 32's on 1.5" + 1.25" lift with SYE and DC, Savvy adjustable arms, Savvy MUA, Savvy GTS, flipped ZJ TR, raised body mounts, rear frame tuck, hopefully auto transmission. Proper gearing and e-lockers. Big Red would be a trail only rig, but I would wheel the Electric Blue one.
I would love to see that build.

Thanks to everyone for the tips.

I'm sure the 2003 was good in its day, but this one was waaay past its best-before date. Wouldn't shift into 4-low - owner said the shift rod underneath had disconnected - so I couldn't check the 4wd system or the lockers. The front axle locking sensor-wire was snapped off at the sensor, so the sensor would have to be replaced to get the light to stop blinking. Axle seals are leaking. No front bumper. Handling was scary even driving at just 60km/h / 40mph - pulled all over the place. Muffler is shot. And it just generally seemed like more project than enjoyment (unless I enjoy a project).

Then, on the way home, I stopped into a Jeep dealer 'just to look'. Somehow I left as a proud owner of a 2017 white Rubicon 2 door with 56,000km/35,000 miles. It has some issues that they are going to fix for me before I pick it up: Leaking front diff seal, cracked windshield, broken driver-side door-sill molding and 2 missing moldings below the rear windows. Other than that it's clean, no rust, no crashes. Looks like it's never been off road... yet. Now I'm thinking lift, tires, bumper/winch. One financial step at a time though.

I'll be scanning the forum for more information. Anyone know if the limited slip has been improved on the Wranglers since the TJ?

Also, anyone know if my membership is just for the TJ forum, or do I also have access to the JK forums.

Thanks again for the tips.

I'm sure the 2003 was good in its day, but this one was waaay past its best-before date. Wouldn't shift into 4-low - owner said the shift rod underneath had disconnected - so I couldn't check the 4wd system or the lockers. The front axle locking sensor-wire was snapped off at the sensor, so the sensor would have to be replaced to get the light to stop blinking. Axle seals are leaking. No front bumper. Handling was scary even driving at just 60km/h / 40mph - pulled all over the place. Muffler is shot. And it just generally seemed like more project than enjoyment (unless I enjoy a project).

Then, on the way home, I stopped into a Jeep dealer 'just to look'. Somehow I left as a proud owner of a 2017 white Rubicon 2 door with 56,000km/35,000 miles. It has some issues that they are going to fix for me before I pick it up: Leaking front diff seal, cracked windshield, broken driver-side door-sill molding and 2 missing moldings below the rear windows. Other than that it's clean, no rust, no crashes. Looks like it's never been off road... yet. Now I'm thinking lift, tires, bumper/winch. One financial step at a time though.

I'll be scanning the forum for more information. Anyone know if the limited slip has been improved on the Wranglers since the TJ?

Also, anyone know if my membership is just for the TJ forum, or do I also have access to the JK forums.

For real? A JK? Maybe Chris can move your membership over there.

Those things on the 03’ are easy to fix

Reactions: Jerry Bransford

You’ve got to register separately for the JK forum.