Looking for tips and advice on flat towing my TJ with an RV

Ogre77

Planning to flat tow the TJ. I’ve never done this. Tips from the pros appreciated, please.

4AFD0A05-8A27-44E3-9E49-820055AC5554.jpeg

E6CC4FAC-6E84-4D9C-8DDF-7789522D4E5A.jpeg

Looks like you already have your setup. If you don't have some form of auxiliary braking system, I'd recommend it. Saves the brakes on the tow rig and it's required in many states; could also be an issue with your insurance carrier if you were to get into any type of accident and not have one.

Follow the instructions in your owner's manual exactly on how to take it out of gear to tow. I was shocked to see that my auto needed to be in park (with transfer case in neutral). Not sure what the process is for a stick, but don't assume.

Reactions: Ogre77
Always double check to confirm that your transfer case is in Neutral. And don’t forget to unlock your steering wheel before you tow. And that the E-Brake is not set. Simple basics but easy to overlook.

good idea to creat a checklist for yourself to carry every time you connect and disconnect.

Reactions: Ogre77 and Ephry73
Whenever I stop I pull the keys out of the jeep and I use a carabiner for my car keys and clip the jeep keys to it. That way when I get back into the tow vehicle I am reminded hey dummy don't forget to put the keys back into the jeep. ;)

Oh yea don't back up. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Ogre77 and Ephry73
There are only 3 states (KS, WY and ND) that don't require a supplemental braking system, so make sure you have one in your Jeep. If you are in an accident and don't have a braking system your insurance company probably won't pay out whether the accident was your fault or not.

Someone posted a way to remove the locking feature on the lock cylinder. You have to take it out of the steering column to do it though. My key is so worn out that I can pull it out of the ignition in any position, running or not, so I put in the unlock position and put the keys in my pocket. In the beginning, I would put a piece of white tape at the 12oclock position on the steering wheel so I can monitor if the wheel is turning when looking at the Jeep from the rear view mirror (or backup camera if equipped) , just for piece of mind.

I would disable the locking feature as described above but if you dont have time for that right now the first position of the key unlocks the steering wheel and powers nothing up.

We have about the same setup as you and we are actually towing our LJ out west today. Three days of towing.

If you plan to tow over gravel roads you might consider huge mud flaps for your RV and or a shield to protect the Jeep’s radiator and front. We are towing on interstate highways so I decided not to go for the guard so I can flip up the tow bar secured, and drive it around if I have to disconnect with short notice.

The main thing is take it out on a practice run to iron out kinks like turn signals.
Good luck and have fun.

Planning to flat tow the TJ. I’ve never done this. Tips from the pros appreciated, please.

Washington requires a supplemental brake system for flat towed vehicles over 3,000 lbs. As noted above, there are only a few states that don't and you will pass through many states that that do require supplemental brakes on your towed jeep before you can get to a state that doesn't .

There are a number of systems on the market, some proportional and some not. Some are surge brakes that have no operator input and some are controlled from the towing rig.

Here is a link to the laws:

https://www.rvia.org/system/files/media/file/Trailer Brake Requirements.pdf

Here is a link to a thread from last year when I was putting together my flat tow set up:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/flat-towing-braking-systems-your-recommendations-and-why.41511/

BTW, I am using an RVI3 supplemental braking system, purchased "previously owned" on Ebay. Keep your eyes open for brake systems. By this fall there should be a good selection of used units being offered by people who discovered that RVing wasn't as much fun as they thought it would be.

Here is an issue I have run into. We are using a flat four pin connector from the RV to the Jeep. We are using the Jeep’s lights to provide turn signals and brake lights. We have the kit where I have disconnected the lights harness and plugged in a splice.

So when the headlights are turned on in the RV, all rear Jeep light flash . When the head lights are off the brake and turn signal lights work normally.

Is there a fix for this besides not using the headlight while we are driving? The wife wants lights on all the time.

I use a pigtail from tow rig to jeep, then the 4-wire trailer wiring runs independent of the jeep's wiring to a 4-pin plug at the rear where I plug in a set of magnetic trailer lights that have had the cord shortened so there is no excess. In other words, the trailer lights are operated by the tow rig independently of the jeep wiring. [This was a tip from @mrblaine ]

Much simpler. Easier to trace issues. The magnetic lights fit in the bag with my RVi3 brake system when not in use.

Reactions: Ogre77 and CodaMan
Ok Thanks, I’ll have to do that. The way I have it now is not working. I do not recommend wiring into the Jeep’s lighting system.

Roadmaster makes a relay that works for that, I’ve toad for 10 years and took out the steering wheel lock on a couple of XJ, tj, wj

Thanks everyone!

How do you unlock the steering without leaving the Jeep key “on” or acc?
Start the engine & then turn it off by turning the key back ONE click & leave it there. All electrical power is off & the steering wheel is unlocked. The key can’t be removed so it must stay in the ignition while towing.

1) Don't be surprised if you crack a windshield. My count is two.
2) Be sure to check that front driveline double cardan is in good condition. Lots of expensive damage if it goes out while towing.
3) For a manual Tx, I always put it in 5th gear. That way I'd have a chance if the transfer case fell into gear while towing.
4) I found it took a toll on large tires.

I'm sure there's a lot more. I switched over to a trailer and enjoy it so much more.