Flat Towing Braking Systems: Your Recommendations and Why?

Mr. Bills

Raconteur Emeritus
Supporting Member
Area Code 605 USA & Código de área 415 MX
I am currently in the process of setting up my '06 LJ to be flat towed behind my recently acquired 2016 Mercedes Benz Sprinter Class B motorhome conversion.

The Facts:

The Sprinter is already wired to tow with a 7-pin connector and Tekonsha brake controller.

The jeep's tail lights are already wired for flat towing, also with a 7 pin-connector.

The Sprinter has a 2" receiver. The jeep has a Rockhard 4x4 front bumper with recovery tabs suitable for attaching a tow bar.

The Sprinter has a 5,000# tow limit. The jeep weighs 4,830# as modified with a full tank of fuel. Since the jeep will be flat towed there is no tongue weight.

The Sprinter has a GVWR of 8,550#. As modified and fully loaded with gear and diesel, propane and water tanks full I am just under.

The GCVWR of the Sprinter is 13,550#. The fully loaded Sprinter and Jeep are under, but not by much.

The Issue:

My issue is brakes for the jeep. I would prefer something "plug and play" that doesn't require cables through the Jeep grill and that doesn't need to be set up and taken out every time. In a perfect world all I would need to do is attach the coupler and safety chains, plug in one 7-pin connector, unlock the steering, put the T/C in neutral, and go.

What is the best set up these days?

What are you using?

What do you like or dislike about it?

Ease of install?

Ease of use?

Worth the money?

I am particularly interested in any and all comments about the Stay-IN-Play Duo. Photos too.

I have the Invisi-Brake from Roadmaster. It's in the $500 range and takes a few hours to install. I like it because:

I just hook up and go.
I don't really notice it unless I'm looking under the Jeep driver's seat.
You won't need your RV brake controller because you adjust the air on the unit that's in the Jeep. A light on your RV dash lights up when you brake, notifying you all is well back there.
Keeps the Jeep battery topped off since it's hooked into the RV charging system via 12V.

I use an older version of Brake Buddy I purchased via CL. It worked fine for a couple years, then one day while towing, it locked up my toad on the freeway for no reason. Shipped it to Hopkins for repair. $300 later it worked again, then locked up again out of the blue. I no longer trust it, and am undecided what to replace it with. I like that you can use it on multiple toads without any cutting, drilling etc. It is a bit clumsy to install/remove, but is a pretty simple affair. Stowing it can be an annoyance. I am interested to see what others are using, and why as well.

• Wow
Reactions: Apparition
I use the Ready Brake. While it does require a cable run though the engine bay, that's a one time installation.

I like it because it doesn't tap into the Jeep's electrical system, which I wanted to avoid. It's mechanically activated, so there's no risk of failure based on anything electrical, nor brakes locking as I've read can happen with some of the electrical auxiliary systems. It also has an indicator light mounted in my truck that lets me know when the brakes engage.

I attach my tow bar, connect the cable and plug the magnetic towing lights into the truck's standard adapter and that's it.

The brake unit itself runs around $500 and I paired it with a simple Blue Ox tow bar ($275 new, $85 slightly used as I found it). Safety cables and lights were about $90 together, so I'm all in for under $700.

Reliable and very easy to hook up and go. I've been very pleased with the setup thus far.

20190816_133930.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Reactions: bobthetj03
I have the Stay & Play Duo system. I like it's simplicity in that it uses a cable attached to the brake pedal to actuate so it doesn't need any additional tail lights. I've only used it a couple times but so far, so good.

I had roadmaster readybrake, then moved to demco stay and play, now I flip a switch and it’s ready to tow, I pulled the spring out of the steering wheel lock and do not need to leave a key in it

Update, 10/16/2020.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Today I ordered the following for my flat tow set up. Should take about two weeks for everything to arrive:

Roadmaster High-Low Adapter for Tow Bars - 2" Hitches - 10 1/4" Rise/Drop - 11-1/4" Long - 10K# GTW 400# TW - RM -048-10
(To level tow bar and move connection point aft to clear tool box on bumper swingarm)

Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain, Non-Binding Tow Bar - Motorhome Mount - 2" Hitch - 12" shank - 6,000 lbs - RM-522

Adapter for Jeep D-Ring Bumper Mounts to Roadmaster Motor Home Mount Tow Bars - 3/4" Thick - RM-035
(To connect Roadmaster tow bar to shackle tabs on Rockhard 4x4 bumper)

Hopkins Endurance Flex-Coil Trailer Connector Adapter w/ Nite-Glow - 7-Way to 6-Pole - 8' Long - HM47053

Roadmaster Brake-Lite Relay Kit for Towed Vehicles RM- 88400
(To keep brake and turn signal lights in sync on tow rig and toad)

I held off on purchasing safety cables until I can hook up the jeep and take actual measurements rather than estimate.

While I wait, I need to choose the supplemental brake system.

Here is the short list, in my current order of preference*:

RViBrake3 portable, proportional, $1225, no install cost.

Demco Stay and Play Duo, permanent mount, proportional, $1,050 plus whatever is involved in the install if I can't do it myself.

Brake Buddy Select 3, portable, proportional, $1,000.

I am leaning toward the RVi3 Brake. I also think that I want a portable system vs. the built in. It may be less convenient but there is always the possibility that I will flat tow something other than my jeep. The RviBrake3 will fit my Miata, which it turns out is also capable of being flat towed. That opens possibilities I hadn't considered.

Comments/Concerns about my potential choices of brake system or the parts ordered to date?

*All of the relevant braking system choices should be at this link:

https://www.etrailer.com/tbbrake-2006_Jeep_TJ.htm?&Redirect=8

BTW,

This is the Sprinter I'm setting up to tow my LJ:

Left Side.jpg

Rear View 1.jpg

Front.jpg

Interior.jpg

Last edited:
One other inconvenience with the Brake Buddy worth mentioning is the driver floor mat needs to be removed to allow the BB to slide against the seat when activated. Since the RVibrake pushes down against the floor and not back against the seat, I would guess that the floor mat (if so equiped) would not need to be removed for proper use.

Floor mat interference is one of the questions I have to ask the RViBrake3 guys. One of their videos shows removing the front floor mat on a Jeep Liberty (or similar) to get the unit to seat properly on the floor. They don't mention that issue with TJ's, but I have Weathertech mats and won't want to remove them for flat towing.

I really like the concept of the RVi product, but their marketing is somewhat MetalCloakesque which makes me suspicious of what the product really is - especially with the proprietary "command center" tablet. I'm going to try to speak directly with Dan, the developer, to get my questions answered. All the rest of the employees seem to be caught up in the "rapture of the corporate culture" if you get my drift.

Reactions: bobthetj03 and JMT
I'll be interested to hear what you find out as I'm in the market for a new setup myself. The tablet "command center" does give me some concerns. I do like that they are still building here in the USA.

Floor mat interference is one of the questions I have to ask the RViBrake3 guys. One of their videos shows removing the front floor mat on a Jeep Liberty (or similar) to get the unit to seat properly on the floor. They don't mention that issue with TJ's, but I have Weathertech mats and won't want to remove them for flat towing.

I really like the concept of the RVi product, but their marketing is somewhat MetalCloakesque which makes me suspicious of what the product really is - especially with the proprietary "command center" tablet. I'm going to try to speak directly with Dan, the developer, to get my questions answered. All the rest of the employees seem to be caught up in the "rapture of the corporate culture" if you get my drift.
Curious what did you decide on regarding tow brake system? I'm also in the market and have been doing my research and I like the RVI but have also looked at brake buddy. I'm not to keen on another laptop in my truck but would rather have a simple indicator that the towed vehicle is braking or not.

you might look at the roadmaster evenbrake series- I used one for 10 years before I switched to the demco stay and play- I still have two of the units, that I haven't gotten around to getting rid of.

. . . I need to choose the supplemental brake system.

Here is the short list, in my current order of preference*:

RViBrake3 portable, proportional, $1225, no install cost.

Demco Stay and Play Duo, permanent mount, proportional, $1,050 plus whatever is involved in the install if I can't do it myself.

Brake Buddy Select 3, portable, proportional, $1,000.

*All of the relevant braking system choices should be at this link:

https://www.etrailer.com/tbbrake-2006_Jeep_TJ.htm?&Redirect=8

Curious what did you decide on regarding tow brake system? I'm also in the market and have been doing my research and I like the RVI but have also looked at brake buddy. I'm not to keen on another laptop in my truck but would rather have a simple indicator that the towed vehicle is braking or not.

I purchased a "used but not abused" RVi3 supplemental brake system on Ebay. It came with everything still in the original box, including a 6-tire Tire Patrol system that I didn't really want or need, but by negotiating with the seller and purchasing as a package worked out to be a better deal than other used units on the market that didn't have the Tire Patrol sensors. It will allow me to sell it as a "complete package" in the event I move on to something else in the future. Cost was one-half of retail even with the 10% coupon code valid at the time, and it appears that it was only used a few times and was in fact purchased as the owner claimed n order to flat tow a Honda behind a Class C motorhome when the owner moved from California to Arizona.

It works quite well, and there were no fitment issues caused by my Weathertech mats. As far as the "command center" is concerned, although it is a bit bulky and I don't really want another screen to look at, it doesn't need to be kept in sight. The "tow rig detached" warning is loud enough to keep the monitor it in the glovebox and after a few times braking one ceases looking to see if the unit is working. Also, settings of the RVi3 can be changed without the commend center if it is lost or destroyed so the thing isn't absolutely necessary for the unit to operate as designed.

I also looked at Brake Buddy systems, but they were too bulky. The Rvi unit squeezes into a 17" padded laptop bag (but barely).

I looked at the Roadmaster Even Brake as well. Roadmaster sells quality products, and my hitch extension, tow bar, safety cables, power cord, etc. are all Roadmaster. The Even Brake appears to be as good or better than a comparable Brake Buddy unit, but it was the bulk of the unit for storage that kept me away.

I briefly considered the Ready Brake surge brake system but in the end decided to stay away from cables, conduits, etc. Also, the price new was about the same as my previously owned Rvi3 and the Ready Brake units I found on the used market were not sufficiently discounted to divert my attention from the RVi3.

For a permanently mounted system I remain persuaded that the Demco Stay and Play Duo is the was to go.

This was my "final" shopping list:

Sourced from e-trailer.com:

Roadmaster High-Low Adapter for Tow Bars - 2" Hitches - 10 1/4" Rise/Drop
11-1/4" Long – 10,000# GTW 400# TW P/N RM-048-10

Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain, Non-Binding Tow Bar
Motorhome Mount - 2" Hitch - 12" shank - 6,000 lbs. P/N RM-522

Adapter for Jeep D-Ring Bumper Mounts to Roadmaster Motor Home Mount Tow Bars
3/4" Thick P/N RM-035

7-Wire to 6-Wire Coiled-to-Straight Cord for Roadmaster Tow Bars
8' Long P/N RM-1676-7

CE Smith Tie-Down Bracket for Boat Trailers
Galvanized Steel - Bolt On, 2 ea., P/N CE26214G
[Used for safety chain attachment points on jeep]

Roadmaster Tow Bar Cover P/N RM-055-3
[Unnecessary, but it allows me to keep the tow bar on the motorhome out of the weather

Sourced on Amazon.com:

Roadmaster 76" Single Hook, Straight Safety Cables
8,000 lbs P/N RM-645-76 [Also available from etrailer.com.]

Sourced on E-Bay:

Previously owned RVi3 Supplemental Brake System with Command Center and 6-tire Tire Patrol.

Sourced locally:

Magnetic Trailer Lights [already on hand in my trailer tow kit]
Hitch pins and clips
Miscellaneous hardware

you might look at the roadmaster evenbrake series- I used one for 10 years before I switched to the demco stay and play- I still have two of the units, that I haven't gotten around to getting rid of.
Thanks, I'll look at RM evenbrake.

I purchased a "used but not abused" RVi3 supplemental brake system on Ebay. It came with everything still in the original box, including a 6-tire Tire Patrol system that I didn't really want or need, but by negotiating with the seller and purchasing as a package worked out to be a better deal than other used units on the market that didn't have the Tire Patrol sensors. It will allow me to sell it as a "complete package" in the event I move on to something else in the future. Cost was one-half of retail even with the 10% coupon code valid at the time, and it appears that it was only used a few times and was in fact purchased as the owner claimed n order to flat tow a Honda behind a Class C motorhome when the owner moved from California to Arizona.

It works quite well, and there were no fitment issues caused by my Weathertech mats. As far as the "command center" is concerned, although it is a bit bulky and I don't really want another screen to look at, it doesn't need to be kept in sight. The "tow rig detached" warning is loud enough to keep the monitor it in the glovebox and after a few times braking one ceases looking to see if the unit is working. Also, settings of the RVi3 can be changed without the commend center if it is lost or destroyed so the thing isn't absolutely necessary for the unit to operate as designed.

I also looked at Brake Buddy systems, but they were too bulky. The Rvi unit squeezes into a 17" padded laptop bag (but barely).

I looked at the Roadmaster Even Brake as well. Roadmaster sells quality products, and my hitch extension, tow bar, safety cables, power cord, etc. are all Roadmaster. The Even Brake appears to be as good or better than a comparable Brake Buddy unit, but it was the bulk of the unit for storage that kept me away.

I briefly considered the Ready Brake surge brake system but in the end decided to stay away from cables, conduits, etc. Also, the price new was about the same as my previously owned Rvi3 and the Ready Brake units I found on the used market were not sufficiently discounted to divert my attention from the RVi3.

For a permanently mounted system I remain persuaded that the Demco Stay and Play Duo is the was to go.

This was my "final" shopping list:

Sourced from e-trailer.com:

Roadmaster High-Low Adapter for Tow Bars - 2" Hitches - 10 1/4" Rise/Drop
11-1/4" Long – 10,000# GTW 400# TW P/N RM-048-10

Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain, Non-Binding Tow Bar
Motorhome Mount - 2" Hitch - 12" shank - 6,000 lbs. P/N RM-522

Adapter for Jeep D-Ring Bumper Mounts to Roadmaster Motor Home Mount Tow Bars
3/4" Thick P/N RM-035

7-Wire to 6-Wire Coiled-to-Straight Cord for Roadmaster Tow Bars
8' Long P/N RM-1676-7

CE Smith Tie-Down Bracket for Boat Trailers
Galvanized Steel - Bolt On, 2 ea., P/N CE26214G
[Used for safety chain attachment points on jeep]

Roadmaster Tow Bar Cover P/N RM-055-3
[Unnecessary, but it allows me to keep the tow bar on the motorhome out of the weather

Sourced on Amazon.com:

Roadmaster 76" Single Hook, Straight Safety Cables
8,000 lbs P/N RM-645-76 [Also available from etrailer.com.]

Sourced on E-Bay:

Previously owned RVi3 Supplemental Brake System with Command Center and 6-tire Tire Patrol.

Sourced locally:

Magnetic Trailer Lights [already on hand in my trailer tow kit]
Hitch pins and clips
Miscellaneous hardware
Sounds like you found a great deal with a lightly used Rvi3! Great research. I have my homework cut out to determine which supplemental brake system will work best with my set up.