Lots of people selling TJs because of high fuel prices

I'm retired, but even so I'd never sell my TJ... Even if it were my daily driver. I did have a TJ before I retired that was my DD. I had another car, but the TJ was just too fun to drive to leave it home.

img_1_1646762303821.jpg

This is the way to go.

In the summer times pre-covid (aka the good ol' days) , I used to ride my bicycle to work. Just over 5 miles one way and it was a great way to start the day. I wish I could do that all year here .. there are people who do, but I don't like riding when it is wet.
I actually wish I was a bit further from work...I'm much rather ride one of my fleet of ridiculously expensive bicycles than walk, but it doesn't even make sense to get them out of the garage for a 3 block walk.

It is sort of funny - A TJ is fun to just drive, even with the top on- I have no idea why really- It isn’t like it’s a whole new level in comfort or speed or performance-at the same time there are times I despise driving mine- I think it gets down to situations where I’m having to drive it for the wrong reasons, Like my work truck is in the shop and I can’t do with it what I need to with my truck, And it makes it look like to my employees that I am running around joy riding-

At the same time I’ve gone out on summer evenings and done bids and people get a kick out of it and I totally enjoy driving it home at sunset after a hot stressful day-

My philosophy On fuel prices we really can’t do much about it but try to be efficient with our time and trips- At the end of the day we have to have it and we had to find a way to pay for it.

In Australia but if you do a "Yearly fuel Cost" with the higher prices its actually cheaper to keep it and enjoy it.
Given its harder to sell at the moment so selling price has gone down plus high taxes/fees on buying another vehicle they are better off keeping it!
I was checking the date of your post quite a few times to be sure it's recent. Thing is, I have not heard of anyone selling their Jeep because of fuel price hikes. The cheapest one in SA right now is 15990 bucks and the ad is online for weeks already. Mine was 4500 bucks five years ago and it was in pristine condition...
I'd love to get another one for my son.

But the salt on the roads will kill the frame. :(

It can but if you clean and spray it regularly with one of the many rustproofing products (I've used Krown T40 now Fluid Film) you shouldn't have any trouble. My LJ frame is great and my XJ & MJ, 33 & 34 yrs. old, are in excellent rust free shape.

Reactions: Rcroane
It is sort of funny - A TJ is fun to just drive, even with the top on- I have no idea why really- It isn’t like it’s a whole new level in comfort or speed or performance-at the same time there are times I despise driving mine- I think it gets down to situations where I’m having to drive it for the wrong reasons, Like my work truck is in the shop and I can’t do with it what I need to with my truck, And it makes it look like to my employees that I am running around joy riding-

At the same time I’ve gone out on summer evenings and done bids and people get a kick out of it and I totally enjoy driving it home at sunset after a hot stressful day-

My philosophy On fuel prices we really can’t do much about it but try to be efficient with our time and trips- At the end of the day we have to have it and we had to find a way to pay for it.

Agree with this. Probably because our TJ's are our pride and joy. Most on here have lots of money invested (I use this term loosely). A drive in a Jeep is always more fun.

Usually my wife or mother in law picks up my kids from school. If they find out I'm picking them up, they usually ask if I can bring the Jeep. Especially if it's one of their birthdays or something.

Regarding people dumping their TJ for something more fuel efficient? I don't see that happening. I figure most aren't DD their TJ anymore. If they say it's for gas prices, it's probably just an excuse. Some just get sick of them, buy the TJ for a few years then sell to fund a new hobby.

Often you can spot the part timers in the hobby. They're the ones that don't want to spend the money. They start showing up to trail runs less and less. I figure the average Jeep driver keeps their Jeep for around 3 - 5 years before they move on.

Reactions: BillW
Agree with this. Probably because our TJ's are our pride and joy. Most on here have lots of money invested (I use this term loosely). A drive in a Jeep is always more fun.

Usually my wife or mother in law picks up my kids from school. If they find out I'm picking them up, they usually ask if I can bring the Jeep. Especially if it's one of their birthdays or something.

Regarding people dumping their TJ for something more fuel efficient? I don't see that happening. I figure most aren't DD their TJ anymore. If they say it's for gas prices, it's probably just an excuse. Some just get sick of them, buy the TJ for a few years then sell to fund a new hobby.

Often you can spot the part timers in the hobby. They're the ones that don't want to spend the money. They start showing up to trail runs less and less. I figure the average Jeep driver keeps their Jeep for around 3 - 5 years before they move on.
A pretty wise buddy of mine said there are two kind of jeep people-

The kind that has a jeep and will always have a jeep and the people that get one, one time, and will never have one again.

Last edited:
A pretty wise buddy of mine said there are two kind of people-

The kind that has a jeep and will always have a jeep and the people that get one, one time, and will never have one again.
Such a true statement!! I have had a Jeep in the family since I was 14 years old, the longest time without one was 5 years, the shortest was 1 day.

Jeeps are not for everyone, that's why you see a bunch of used Jeeps on the market.

The JK unlimited with its 4 door brought the Jeep to the masses, because all of the sudden they were the "Cool Kids Toy" or the latest fad for the "Soccer Moms".

Even with gas prices on the rise I still want a LS swap in my tj
You know I’m not trying to sound macho or anything - People really aren’t reasonable when it comes to doing what we want to do-

If I were really into being reasonable and conservative I would not even have a Jeep

People go out and spend outrageous amounts of money having whatever they call fun - Going to a strip joint or a bar and spending hundreds of dollars.

If it takes 30 more dollars or whatever to fill up my TJ so what-

If I were tight on money I wouldn’t have it either .

I’m not trying to sound callous or arrogant or anything like that- We can all pretty much find a way to do whatever we want to do and there are a lot of worse habits.

Last edited:
You know I’m not trying to sound macho or anything - People really aren’t reasonable when it comes to doing what we want to do-

If I were really into being reasonable and conservative I would not even have a Jeep

People go out and spend outrageous amounts of money having whatever they call fun - Going to a strip joint or a bar in spending hundreds of dollars.

If it takes 30 more dollars or whatever to fill up my TJ so what-

If I were tight on money I wouldn’t have it either .

I’m not trying to sound callous or arrogant or anything like that- We can all pretty much find a way to do whatever we want to do and there are a lot of worse habits.
Cut out soft drinks, eat out less, get rid of the video games. There are plenty of ways to save money. The problem is folks don't have the fortitude to say no to the things they don't need in the life.

My new job is going to supply me with a cell phone, chances are I will swap all my personal contacts to it and cancel my personal phone. That will pay for either parts or gas!!!!!

I'm in the sell a TJ camp. Soon my son's '00 Sahara rotbox daily will be replaced by an '09 Jetta TDI. Offing the Jeep will cover the out-of-pocket spend for the Jetta. At $4.29 unleaded and $4.99 for diesel my son's weekly fuel cost for his school commute will go from roughly $40 per week to $15. The '98 Sport project will hopefully wrap-up this spring allowing for fair-weather Jeepin'.

I’m an old bastard that grew up driving standard transmission vehicles. That’s partially why I enjoy driving my TJ. AND, it’s easy to maneuver, fun in the sun, and I drive it everyday there is no salt on the roads.
My daughters laugh and say that I will still be driving it when I’m in my 80’s, guess they’re right cause that’s in less than 10 years.
Someone can pry my cold dead hands off of the steering wheel, and my sidearm 🤣🤣🤣😵‍💫.
Well, My TJs Getting a new "heart" $3,000.00 Vs $30,000.00 My daily since 2000.