Lots of people selling TJs because of high fuel prices

Chug a lug..

drink don't drive.jpg

Cut out soft drinks, eat out less, get rid of the video games. There are plenty of ways to save money. The problem is folks don't have the fortitude to say no to the things they don't need in the life.

My new job is going to supply me with a cell phone, chances are I will swap all my personal contacts to it and cancel my personal phone. That will pay for either parts or gas!!!!!
Im going to save money by riding around with you then 😅😅

Reactions: John Cooper
I’ve daily driven my TJ in SoCal for the last 6 years, and I’d rather be driving a Prius 75% of the time and just using my TJ for fun. I honestly can’t stand it but I love it so much that until the cash flow for another car comes around my TJ gets me where I need to be loudly, slowly , and expensively….however…every time I park it , I can’t help but look back at it And think how beautiful it is… cheers boys

Reactions: BillW and Sancho
I’m an old bastard that grew up driving standard transmission vehicles. That’s partially why I enjoy driving my TJ. AND, it’s easy to maneuver, fun in the sun, and I drive it everyday there is no salt on the roads.
My daughters laugh and say that I will still be driving it when I’m in my 80’s, guess they’re right cause that’s in less than 10 years.
Someone can pry my cold dead hands off of the steering wheel, and my sidearm 🤣🤣🤣😵‍💫.
You & I are pretty much just alike. I’m 70 years old & retired so I don’t commute. Our main vehicle is our Toyota Highlander & my ‘06 TJ is my toy that we also tow behind our motorhome. It reminds me of some of the old vehicles that I drove in my youth, especially 2 Datsun pick-ups that we wheeled all over a Texas hill country deer camp. They had manual transmissions, 2 wheel drive & open differentials, but they were so light that they did really good. That’s really how I learned most of my technique. The TJ reminds me of those old trucks.

You & I are pretty much just alike. I’m 70 years old & retired so I don’t commute. Our main vehicle is our Toyota Highlander & my ‘06 TJ is my toy that we also tow behind our motorhome. It reminds me of some of the old vehicles that I drove in my youth, especially 2 Datsun pick-ups that we wheeled all over a Texas hill country deer camp. They had manual transmissions, 2 wheel drive & open differentials, but they were so light that they did really good. That’s really how I learned most of my technique. The TJ reminds me of those old trucks.

Me too! I don't know what the requirements are in Texas but in Ontario I'll be required to take my driver's licence test again in 10 yrs. I'm going to have all the fun I can in the meantime ... because you never know. :unsure:

Reactions: BillW
Me too! I don't know what the requirements are in Texas but in Ontario I'll be required to take my driver's licence test again in 10 yrs. I'm going to have all the fun I can in the meantime ... because you never know. :unsure:
Our tests come every 10 years or so & it’s pretty much just a vision test to make sure you’re not trying to drive blind. ☺️

Our tests come every 10 years or so & it’s pretty much just a vision test to make sure you’re not trying to drive blind. ☺️

Unless we screw up in some way, we don't get retested until we turn 80. In many cases, like me, it will be ... 80 - 16 = 64 years between tests.

I’ve daily driven my TJ in SoCal for the last 6 years, and I’d rather be driving a Prius 75% of the time and just using my TJ for fun. I honestly can’t stand it but I love it so much that until the cash flow for another car comes around my TJ gets me where I need to be loudly, slowly , and expensively….however…every time I park it , I can’t help but look back at it And think how beautiful it is… cheers boys

I went the other way. Commuter is a chevy volt which drives fantastic (didn't consider a prius as I rode in a buddy's and that thing was a dog. Plus they're ugly as sin), and I saved enough on gas to help afford the TJ.

I believe High fuel prices have spooked TJ owners because they are only looking at their "Weekly Fuel spend" and ignoring a selling loss.
I think we'll see this among the JL crowd.

In my opinion, TJs are at the point where people don't actively seek 'em out unless they want a toy. Not so much JKs: they're sort of the "middle child" right now. They flooded used car lots when JLs were released.

However, I'm expecting to see JLs in used car lots because of panicky owners who don't understand simple economics and won't wait for the gas price pendulum to swing in the other direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris and srimes
My LJ is garaged and my TJ is my daily. I only drive 6 miles a day, 3 miles each way under 50 mph, and needed something I could drive without caring if it got salt on it. The TJ had rust issues already but I've only put 1000 miles on it the last 6 months and I still try to wash it regularly. I imagine if I lived in a major city and had to do a big highway driving commute the situation would be untenable.

I wanted a secondary vehicle to avoid putting miles and wear on my Jeep, as well as to save on fuel costs during a divorce. Went down to the auction here in Phoenix and found this little gem for $300. 2002 Daewoo Lanos, of Pineapple Express fame. Runs like Taco Bell.View attachment 314583
For some odd reason, and I am absolutely not making this up, my insurance company actually says that I am not covered to drive any model of Daewoo on my broad form policy. WTF?

• Haha
Reactions: SoCalGlide
For some odd reason, and I am absolutely not making this up, my insurance company actually says that I am not covered to drive any model of Daewoo on my broad form policy. WTF?
Id figure its either due to extremely low value, or poor safety ratings. From what ive heard these things are death traps in a crash.

Reactions: Squatch
I got lucky and for the first time in my life, have a Jeep that isn't my daily driver!!!

I have a Nissan murano to DD, so my Jeep is my run a round and have fun driver!

It’s tempting to offload the TJ at times…wait no it’s not. The money would be great, but you can’t wipe the grin off my face when I trot that thing down the road- closed up or naked!

4 years ago my company switched and went from a vehicle allowance to mileage reimbursement. When they did that I dumped my gas guzzling Acura MDX and scooped up a 4-banging Kia Optima Sport. I love that car and the 37 mpg it gets in the interstate. It’s not even 3 years old and has 70k miles

No regrets
200.gif