Lots of people selling TJs because of high fuel prices

Was wondering if it was a seasonal issue. But you are South of the Equator, so I would suspect a seasonal sell off would have already happened. In the US, we are a bit past 1/2 way through convertible season. I would not put it past some people to take their annual vacations earlier in the season, and try to sell when summer prices are still somewhat strong. Winter prices in theory can take a bit of a hit on soft tops. Prices tend to rise (and inventory tends to evaporate) when weather starts getting better in spring.
—-
I have one of the few economy focused diesels in the US - My VW used to get a hair under 50mpg before the EPA demanded it get nuetured (now it is low 40's). I was surprised on vacation that the diesel Toyota we used did not get all that great of mileage. I think it barely did 20mpg. Our guide was a bit frustrated with his current diesel prices - they were hitting $8/gallon (after converting from the kilometers per liter, and doing a currency conversion - way too much math for vacation. I don't want to really guess how many hours we drove during the vacation - but it was probably close to 100hrs. We probably averaged over 6hrs a day for almost 2 weeks (abet the vast majority of that was offroad). Definitely the most off roading I have ever done in 10 days (plus 6+ hours of onroading too and from the area we offroaded daily. So 6x12=at least 72hours of truck time.

Last edited:
Reactions: BugoutJeep
Was wondering if it was a seasonal issue. But you are South of the Equator, so I would suspect a seasonal sell off would have already happened. In the US, we are a bit past 1/2 way through convertible season. I would not put it past some people to take their annual vacations earlier in the season, and try to sell when summer prices are still somewhat strong. Winter prices in theory can take a bit of a hit on soft tops. Prices tend to rise (and inventory tends to evaporate) when weather starts getting better in spring.
—-
I have one of the few economy focused diesels in the US - My VW used to get a hair under 50mpg before the EPA demanded it get nuetured (now it is low 40's). I was surprised on vacation that the diesel Toyota we used did not get all that great of mileage. I think it barely did 20mpg. Our guide was a bit frustrated with his current diesel prices - they were hitting $8/gallon (after converting from the kilometers per liter, and doing a currency conversion - way too much math for vacation. I don't want to really guess how many hours we drove during the vacation - but it was probably close to 100hrs. We probably averaged over 6hrs a day for almost 2 weeks (abet the vast majority of that was offroad). Definitely the most off roading I have ever done in 10 days (plus 6+ hours of onroading too and from the area we offroaded daily. So 6x12=at least 72hours of truck time.

I'm always astounded by the EPA and all of the "Green" stuff, when they're literally banning our fuel efficient engines. The laws are so singularly focused that it's just so incredibly dumb. There's no nuance in the fact that these can be made to last MUCH longer than other engines and they will produce less CO2, which is the boogieman on the "news", but they are increasing CO2 production and increasing the amount of fuel we need to keep the lights on and keep supplies going in the right directions. And on top of that the studying of NOx and SOx are unrealistic in the real world and the "fixes" defy what used to be engineering design basics and standards.

It's really starting to feel like they're having us swim out to sea until we're too exhausted to get back to the beach with all of these policies that have really been going crazy in the last 20 years.

Greenie Tree Huggers are why I ride a 510cc Two Stroke dirt bike mixed at 20-1.
I like to leave a thick Blue Cloud when I ride.

http://surfacestations.com/
NOAA Temperature Adjustments Correlate Exactly with the Rise in CO2 - Big Surprise

NOAA Radiosonde Data Shows No Warming For 58 Years

NOAA Fiddles With Climate Data To Erase The 15-Year Global Warming ‘Hiatus’

Temps 2500bc to 2040ad.jpg

I don't do stuff because of idiots, but I do want to keep a buffer of resources between me and the cultists. If I can get better MPG and reliability and have more independence from a crazy system, that's a win for me. In some respects I like stuff the Greenies happen to like, but I have it because I want them to stay away and most of them just live in their parents' basements or they're celebrities with the cash I could never attain. Unfortunately I want some of the stuff because I have practical uses and in some cases I like toys, but they want to mandate it for all, though it's not affordable and it's a terrible investment compared the resources at hand and it just doesn't work well at scale.

I'd still like to have some EV stuff, because for 1 we have gas wells that pay nothing, though the CFM from the gas company would be $30k/month if I was to pay for it. We have coal everywhere where I live very close to the surface. Motors can be great tech if you have a good way to power them and if I can get some relatively (historically) cheap energy storage, I like some attributes for around the farm. Solar can be a great method of charging in certain circumstances and maybe even wind though I haven't tried it. The cultists think you can drive around with a 100w solar panel on your roof and drive 70 mph with nothing but the panel. That's insane. Many likely have no idea how the energy in the wall is produced and I would guess many would assume that you could be a windmill on your vehicle and drive down the road and you'd be able to only power your vehicle, but make excess power and store it in a battery, which is obviously impossible, but I bet you could sell many of them a system that does just that.

However my problem with Greenies are that they want to mandate and regulate so many areas of life that it will be ending lives of millions around the globe and it will make nations that pay some homage to "freedom" give power to dictators around the globe and weaken us, because they're too lazy to pick up a calculator or they're traitors and they want us weak. We would be better giving many struggling nations around the world coal and coal powerplants, rather than push windmills and solar, where you can't get spare parts and the resource is too expensive and small to affect larger populations so they can have the chance to learn to read and do math and at a minimum figure out how to deal with their waste, stay fed/hydrated, and manage waterways and from there they will be more presentable for industry where other forms of energy production are preferred and can be used to keep areas from being dumps of human waste and disease.

My other issue is with the cultist policies, because they won't affect emissions around the world in any meaningful way, it will just increase the suffering for everyone but the richest among us, which probably is the purpose because most of these people are Communists and they need the division.

On top of that more people will live because more people die due to cold than to heat and if we have a reliable energy grid we can have more reliable HVAC around the globe to manage high and low temps. It also saves resources so we can harden areas of weakness and to figure out earlier warning systems. I think most solar and wind should be for the individuals and businesses and energy companies should mostly just harden up their end and make sure they handle surges from disasters and historic events. If you want solar panels buy them, but don't tax us to buy panels for rich people that can afford solar panels.

Almost anytime there's a clean-up or the power is out, my panels are down too and mostly useless, except from the very expensive battery storage that can't power much more than some electronics, so I just run a generator that's MUCH less expensive overall to own and operate. And the generator can easily power my house, pumps, electronics and those batteries.

Reactions: Blondie70 and Chris
I watched an interesting YouTube video on the history of commercial nuclear powered ships. Several things were interesting. 1) just how much pollution large ships emit. We want to outlaw gas lawn mowers, but one ship probably produces more pollution than all the lawnmowers in the US per year. 2) The fact that the US military has operated them for decades without any major problems is irrelevant. 3) How the 3 that were built in (not counting the ones made by the USSR) were decommissioned or retrofitted back to conventional power VERY quickly. 4) the reasons why they were retired - Ports would not allow them access, dock workers would refuse to load and unload them - general hate by the civilian population. They worked, but the world killed them. (in all fairness, the first was a poor compromised design - they wanted it to be both a cargo and passenger ship, which made opperating it as either not economically viable).

Anyway, if we actually cared about polituion, slowing going to nuclear powered container and bulk cargo ships would do a hell of a lot more than neutering my VW, or preventing us from purchasing small diesel powered vehicles.
—-
Don't get me 100% wrong. I understand, at least in part, what caused some of the diesel hate in the US - they were smelly. We are 20 years past that now.

I watched an interesting YouTube video on the history of commercial nuclear powered ships. Several things were interesting. 1) just how much pollution large ships emit. We want to outlaw gas lawn mowers, but one ship probably produces more pollution than all the lawnmowers in the US per year. 2) The fact that the US military has operated them for decades without any major problems is irrelevant. 3) How the 3 that were built in (not counting the ones made by the USSR) were decommissioned or retrofitted back to conventional power VERY quickly. 4) the reasons why they were retired - Ports would not allow them access, dock workers would refuse to load and unload them - general hate by the civilian population. They worked, but the world killed them. (in all fairness, the first was a poor compromised design - they wanted it to be both a cargo and passenger ship, which made opperating it as either not economically viable).

Anyway, if we actually cared about polituion, slowing going to nuclear powered container and bulk cargo ships would do a hell of a lot more than neutering my VW, or preventing us from purchasing small diesel powered vehicles.
—-
Don't get me 100% wrong. I understand, at least in part, what caused some of the diesel hate in the US - they were smelly. We are 20 years past that now.

They don't care about pollution, they just want to be appearing to "do something" never mind that it's counterproductive so they attack a minority that can't defend themselves and then claim they'll fix the rest if we give them more power to go after another minority.

The emissions that occur when a vehicle or anything burns up is astonishing and several pieces of equipment are added that are more likely to cause fires, especially with gasoline vehicles compared to diesels. Also gasoline just being gas with lots of vapors makes up more emissions than all of diesel use according to some CA air quality studies. The other MASSIVE contributor and a HUGE reason for respiratory issues are from household VOCs like hair spray and perfume, cleaning products etc not to mention that respiratory systems are meant to be built up at young ages that many sterile environments don't allow. Diesel is just a few percentage of air quality issues and likely because it pretty much goes straight to the ground and it's in forms that, if anything is good for growing due to NOx. When we had sulfur in diesel (which takes energy to remove ie CO2) there was more chance for sulfuric acid, but not like I was told as a kid and that really wasn't an issue from diesel engines, as it was from coal burning power plants that had a lot of sulfur in the coal.

I don’t think that most people use their TJ as a daily driver so I’m not sure people will sell them in large numbers.
Mine is my daily. Absolutely love it. First thing I do when I wake up is check the weather to see if it is doors off day. Miles equal Smiles.. I have more money than sense, so I ignore the cost to fill up. Don’t do the math, just enjoy.

My LJ is garaged and my TJ is my daily. I only drive 6 miles a day, 3 miles each way under 50 mph, and needed something I could drive without caring if it got salt on it. The TJ had rust issues already but I've only put 1000 miles on it the last 6 months and I still try to wash it regularly. I imagine if I lived in a major city and had to do a big highway driving commute the situation would be untenable.
Commute every day. Run it through the self wash once a week. Rails are fluid filmed, POR15’d and drain holed.

Mine is my daily. Absolutely love it. First thing I do when I wake up is check the weather to see if it is doors off day. Miles equal Smiles.. I have more money than sense, so I ignore the cost to fill up. Don’t do the math, just enjoy.

Commute every day. Run it through the self wash once a week. Rails are fluid filmed, POR15’d and drain holed.

It's more of a question of would you rather than could you. I drove my TJ to Long Island and back, and commuted locally around Hicksville for a few days. Of course it works but its not ideal. I was burning gas like crazy and we're in the middle of a gas crisis. My jeeps are getting to the point where there's lots of jobs that need to be done and maintenance and quite frankly it's just not an ideal situation. I can't even get the door off my TJ's driver side it's seized on solid.

It's more of a question of would you rather than could you. I drove my TJ to Long Island and back, and commuted locally around Hicksville for a few days. Of course it works but its not ideal. I was burning gas like crazy and we're in the middle of a gas crisis. My jeeps are getting to the point where there's lots of jobs that need to be done and maintenance and quite frankly it's just not an ideal situation. I can't even get the door off my TJ's driver side it's seized on solid.

A few decades back I made the decision that I liked the looks of my car without a front license plate.. that’s a no-no in NY. It was a conscious decision. I figured I was sure to get a ticket at some point but it would be a worthwhile trade off against the enjoyment of no plate.

I am going to drive something. I’ll be spending money on gas either way. So the few extra bucks I spend on the TJ is worthwhile traded off against the enjoyment of driving something fun.

Or, maybe I just have more money than sense.

My TJ needs nothing. If it were a money pit, I might feel different.

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper